Working abroad

Walliver

Are you talking a permanent move or seasonal?

Permanent, I think. I'm a bit fed up where I am and just fancy a really big change.

I'm sure different countries will have different regulations, but a general checklist or a reliable resource to look at would be handy. It's obviously going to be quite a big change so if anyone has any advice* that would be ace.

*Any advice more in depth than Jimbo's.

Permanent, I think. I'm a bit fed up where I am and just fancy a really big change.

I'm sure different countries will have different regulations, but a general checklist or a reliable resource to look at would be handy. It's obviously going to be quite a big change so if anyone has any advice* that would be ace.

Depends on many factors- your age, trade or profession, where you want work etc

What do you do ?

Depends on many factors- your age, trade or profession, where you want work etc

What do you do ?

Yeah, sorry, I haven't given many details. I'm 23, I work in digital marketing/SEO at the moment but I'm looking for something with writing more. This generally puts me in an English speaking country or a job that very specifically says it's dealing with English.

So far I've found a decent looking job that I think I can do in Gibraltar, one in Chile and one in Denmark (although I'm not as keen on that one at the moment) .

Clearly those countries are going to have different requirements so if anyone has generally moving tips that may or may not apply I'd still be keen to read them.

What specifically do you want to know? I've worked abroad a bit, but transferred through work so visas and any legal shit was dealt with by work. Relocation allowance too which helped.

I would go for Gib to start with. not too much of a culture shock( do you speak any languages?), not too far to zip back home for visits etc.

Rent out your house(in England) for the 1st 6 months, so if it doesn't work, you have somewhere to come back to.

I would imagine your future employers will help you with the legal side of things( again, Gib should be less hassle).

Tax and other such bureaucracy was always the main sticking point for me in Germany - registering with the authorities, getting a residence permit, doing income tax returns and so on. The system works, it's just impenetrable at first, particularly if you're not overly familiar with the language - so that might be a consideration in terms of where you decide to go.

Accommodation can be awkward, but it's generally fine if you're willing to let your new employer find you something or pay an agent a month or two's rent to find a few options for you in advance - or just sleep in someone's spare room at first while you find something on the ground. Be prepared for everything to be up in the air and generally "waaaaaargh, I'm going to die :lol:" right up until you move - it's normal, and you won't. :aye:

It's probably worth going somewhere that isn't too "exotic". At the very least, if you head for a fairly big city with a decent, transparent public transport network then at least you know you'll be able to get from A to B without too much hassle. And obviously somewhere with reasonable proximity to an airport, cheap flights or otherwise, never hurts. Depends how much of a big city person you are though, I suppose - you might want the experience of everyday life in a sheep-farming village in the Andes.

And obviously there's the general issue of culture shock, but again that depends on where you go. Don't be afraid to go down obvious routes like finding the local Irish pub or similar hangout so you can hear some familiar voices, watch sports etc. - if it's still your regular haunt after six months to a year, that's when to be afraid. :lol:

One of the main things drawing me to Gibraltar is the fact that they speak English - while not being all that far away from Britain (compared to USA, Australia etc) - and the fact that most of them speak Spanish could be handy if I wanted to learn that. At the moment I only speak English (I studied German in school but tried speaking it on holiday last year and completely failed) and would love to be able to speak a second language, I can just never decide which one. Of course, the sunshine and the wild monkeys make it seem a nice place to live. Having Spain and Morocco nearby makes it appealing for holidays as well.

From what I can make out about Gibraltar, it seems I wouldn't need a work visa or residency permit to go there because I'm from an EEA country (http://www.recruitgibraltar.com/WorkResidencePermitsinGibraltar.asp ). Is that right? Are there any bits of paper I would need?

The income tax seems a bit odd because they've got more than one system, but I assume if I got a job there my employers would be able to help me out with stuff like that.

It's things like accommodation and finance that are worrying me at the moment. Can I just go into my bank and move my money to a foreign bank account (do I even need to do that?)? Who in Britain do I need to tell that I'm moving away (student loans people, parents etc)? The job specs mentioned a relocation allowance which is nice of them. (It also mentioned that after a phone interview they'd conduct a face-to-face interview - is this likely to be at my expense or theirs?)

If I did get this job it would be the first time I moved somewhere and not known someone - in the city, never mind the country or that half of the continent - which would also be a bit worrying.

:wub: Christ, are you allowed out by yourself? :lol:

You would set up a bank account over there, to answer one of your questions. You could then just arrange through them to transfer stuff across. When I lived abroad I still had payments going out in this country so I just kept my account here and wired money back each month.

Plenty of warehouse work in Gibraltar apparently. :wub:

Denmark isnt a bad shout but they all speak perfect english over there, so theres not much need to for english native speakers.

The USA is out as you'd need a green card or a visa from your company, what about Canada, is that the same?

Both me and my brother live and work abroad, for different reasons, he just fucked off and did any job he could until he sorted himself out, i went with my company. You'd be lucky to find something in between iyam.

I would go for Gib to start with. not too much of a culture shock( do you speak any languages?), not too far to zip back home for visits etc.

Rent out your house(in England) for the 1st 6 months, so if it doesn't work, you have somewhere to come back to.

I would imagine your future employers will help you with the legal side of things( again, Gib should be less hassle).

the trouble is that Gib is a dump - if the Spanish turn rough and start messing about at the border crossing you're stuck on rock with a load of cigarette smugglers, the Navy and the Apes...........

Denmark is good (but expensive) - never been to Chile but I'd expect Spanish would be a necessity pretty quickly

One of the main things drawing me to Gibraltar is the fact that they speak English - while not being all that far away from Britain (compared to USA, Australia etc) - and the fact that most of them speak Spanish could be handy if I wanted to learn that. At the moment I only speak English (I studied German in school but tried speaking it on holiday last year and completely failed) and would love to be able to speak a second language, I can just never decide which one. Of course, the sunshine and the wild monkeys make it seem a nice place to live. Having Spain and Morocco nearby makes it appealing for holidays as well.

From what I can make out about Gibraltar, it seems I wouldn't need a work visa or residency permit to go there because I'm from an EEA country (http://www.recruitgibraltar.com/WorkResidencePermitsinGibraltar.asp ). Is that right? Are there any bits of paper I would need?

The income tax seems a bit odd because they've got more than one system, but I assume if I got a job there my employers would be able to help me out with stuff like that.

It's things like accommodation and finance that are worrying me at the moment. Can I just go into my bank and move my money to a foreign bank account (do I even need to do that?)? Who in Britain do I need to tell that I'm moving away (student loans people, parents etc)? The job specs mentioned a relocation allowance which is nice of them. (It also mentioned that after a phone interview they'd conduct a face-to-face interview - is this likely to be at my expense or theirs?)

If I did get this job it would be the first time I moved somewhere and not known someone - in the city, never mind the country or that half of the continent - which would also be a bit worrying.

Tell the Revenue IMMEDIATELY and the Council tax people not long after - DON'T tell your bank or credit card company until you are well set up overseas - they may cause you all sorts of trouble (and if you come back after 3 months you have to start everything from scratch) - just have everything redirected to your parents or a dependable mate's

Once you are properly settled then you can start telling people - slowly