Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

Anybody watching the latest heap of shite from Disney on the star wars universe? The Acolyte. Well and truly jumped the shark with wookie jedi lords. Absolute garbage. Disney paid billions for this franchise and haven't produced a single minute of merit from it. 

• Like 1

There’s a Dionne Warwick doc on BBC2 atm. There was a bit where artists were talking about her, and Elton John said some of the stuff she did with Bacharach and David were perfect works of art. Like a Picasso. Tend to agree 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Anybody watching the latest heap of shite from Disney on the star wars universe? The Acolyte. Well and truly jumped the shark with wookie jedi lords. Absolute garbage. Disney paid billions for this franchise and haven't produced a single minute of merit from it. 

I hate to be this bloke, but the original Star Wars was shite. You have rose tinted glasses because of the age you were when you saw it the first time. 

If you watch them objectively now, they are shite. 

I loved the Alien films when I was younger, I still like them as nostalgia but objectively, shite. All the add on Alien films have been mega bad, because the original premise was bad.

4 hours ago, Renton said:

Disney paid billions for this franchise and haven't produced a single minute of merit from it.

Rogue One would like a word. 

Best of the recent crop by a country mile. 

Solo being in second place. 

The rest aren’t too bad either, unless you’re some fanboy who pisses the bed over the wrong colour light sabre or whatever :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Alex said:

There’s a Dionne Warwick doc on BBC2 atm. There was a bit where artists were talking about her, and Elton John said some of the stuff she did with Bacharach and David were perfect works of art. Like a Picasso. Tend to agree 

“Make Way For Dionne Warwick” is sublime but alongside that, the only other full album from that period I have in my digital “collection” is “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again” It was a bit later but her vocals are stunning and it’s got a cover of “Something” that she does total justice 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Rogue One would like a word. 

Best of the recent crop by a country mile. 

Solo being in second place. 

The rest aren’t too bad either, unless you’re some fanboy who pisses the bed over the wrong colour light sabre or whatever :lol:

First, I agree with strawb, Star Wars was never that great objectively, but you have to take it in context, they were unique for the time. Mainly kids who enjoyed them but are they now? I think there was potential to do something with this franchise but Disney completely fucked it. 

As for you my simian friend, no, you're wrong. I don't give a shit about canon. They are all incredibly unoriginal, badly written, characterised and acted. Rogue one was boring. Solo was fucking dreadful. The only series I enjoyed at all was the Kenobi one, but that whole story has no logical consistency at all.

I only watch these because for some inexplicable reason Mrs Rents likes them. But intergalactic whales and wookie jedi? Just fuck off man. :D

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Renton said:

but you have to take it in context, they were unique for the time

I remember going to see it in 1977 with my Dad and brother- it was far and away the most amazing thing I’d seen at the cinema. 

The opening theme music, the scrolling text, then the huge Imperial Star Cruiser ominously appearing. 

Darth Vader, the cool as fuck looking stormtroopers, fucking lasers everywhere, mad robots… it was extraordinary! 

Bear in mind, until then, family films were either Disney cartoons once in a blue moon, films about a fucking VW Beetle with “personality”, or James Bond* ( which, at this point, was Roger Moore). 

It blew me away- didn’t have a fucking clue what the story was meant to be, didn’t care. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The three original Star Wars movies were great but you have to judge them for what they are, ie they’re essentially kids’ films. 
Also, I saw Alien recently and I still love it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

they’re essentially family films. 

Something for the kids…

IMG_3219.thumb.jpeg.9ecb2167ef4f8ecb7bb988b9c21acb3a.jpeg

Something for the mams…

IMG_3217.thumb.jpeg.c8bece5a0f23dd860a65b28975ac97b4.jpeg

something for the dads…

IMG_3218.thumb.jpeg.810f578ed65db926785b12ed5953c55c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, Alex said:

The three original Star Wars movies were great but you have to judge them for what they are, ie they’re essentially kids’ films. 
Also, I saw Alien recently and I still love it. 

Alien is a great suspense horror. Aliens is still the blueprint for great action movie. The new Alien Romulus movie looks like it’s following these two but I we’ll see.

The original three Star Wars were great movies. The majority of movies that followed never reached those heights - bar Rogue One.

i think they’ve made some decent Tv series. Mandalorian was excellent along with Andor. The rest are watchable bar Obi Wan and Acolyte. There was actually one good episode in Acolyte. The rest was terrible. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Mandalorian was excellent

It was- spaghetti western in space, basically. 

The Book of Boba Fett was pretty decent too. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I remember going to see it in 1977 with my Dad and brother- it was far and away the most amazing thing I’d seen at the cinema. 

The opening theme music, the scrolling text, then the huge Imperial Star Cruiser ominously appearing. 

Darth Vader, the cool as fuck looking stormtroopers, fucking lasers everywhere, mad robots… it was extraordinary! 

Bear in mind, until then, family films were either Disney cartoons once in a blue moon, films about a fucking VW Beetle with “personality”, or James Bond* ( which, at this point, was Roger Moore). 

It blew me away- didn’t have a fucking clue what the story was meant to be, didn’t care. :lol:

I was born 10 years after you remember going to the pictures to see this just in case you needed help feeling old :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

I was born 10 years after you remember going to the pictures to see this just in case you needed help feeling old :lol:

He's younger than me so you can

angry will ferrell GIF

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Dazzler said:

When I was born, Jumpin’ Jack Flash by the Stones was No.1. 

:lol:

Most of the Star Wars stuff is terrible, not just because it's aimed at kids, but objectively terrible. Mandalorian was decent, as was Andor. Rogue One was better than any of the Star Wars films that came after the first released trilogy, I'd say it's better than the 3rd of that lot as well. 

I think the issue is that there's a huge appetite for this stuff, but instead of marketing it straight at that fanbase and using that buzz to attract more people, they try to make it appeal to everyone, which it won't.

Same thing is happening with the Marvel movies. They started with some of their lesser known IP and delivered to the comparatively small market something that it wanted. As it grew, they're now trying and failing to keep pace with similarly obscure characters marketed to a wider audience. And of course everything has to be tied together.

30 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Most of the Star Wars stuff is terrible, not just because it's aimed at kids, but objectively terrible. Mandalorian was decent, as was Andor. Rogue One was better than any of the Star Wars films that came after the first released trilogy, I'd say it's better than the 3rd of that lot as well. 

I think the issue is that there's a huge appetite for this stuff, but instead of marketing it straight at that fanbase and using that buzz to attract more people, they try to make it appeal to everyone, which it won't.

Same thing is happening with the Marvel movies. They started with some of their lesser known IP and delivered to the comparatively small market something that it wanted. As it grew, they're now trying and failing to keep pace with similarly obscure characters marketed to a wider audience. And of course everything has to be tied together.

I think with marvel it tried, admirably, to be more inclusive but it came at the cost of quality IMO. Let’s force she-hulk out there with zero context because it’s a female badass superhero and that’s all that matters really. She hulk is fucking mint and they dropped the ball hard with that character. 

Hopefully, deadpool 3 can help repair some of the damage, and the new captain America trailer gives me hope for the future films as it looks really decent.

Plus a new daredevil series which includes the punisher stands to be good so long as they allow it to be as brutal as the seasons that came before.

15 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I think with marvel it tried, admirably, to be more inclusive but it came at the cost of quality IMO. Let’s force she-hulk out there with zero context because it’s a female badass superhero and that’s all that matters really. She hulk is fucking mint and they dropped the ball hard with that character. 

Hopefully, deadpool 3 can help repair some of the damage, and the new captain America trailer gives me hope for the future films as it looks really decent.

Plus a new daredevil series which includes the punisher stands to be good so long as they allow it to be as brutal as the seasons that came before.

She Hulk!? :lol:

Get tae fuck man. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Renton said:

She Hulk!? :lol:

Get tae fuck man. 

Her comics are good. Way bette than the portrayal on the tv show, which was a bit of a meta mess

• Thanks 1

Actually quite enjoyed episode 5 of the Acolyte, 30 minutes of light sabre fighting.

House of Dragon series end episode dropped on Monday. Absolute shite man. They've set the scene for the coming battles and war but just ended it there. In 2 years time, when S3 is released, if I'm alive, I won't have a scooby who anyone is or what has happened. Again. Makes more sense just to wait a decade and watch the complete box sets of these series. 

• Like 1

anybody watch the channel 5 documentary on lucy letby on monday?

quite powerful stuff I thought, seems to be growing concern on how safe her trial was.

I do remember thinking at the time that her defence team was beyond useless and failed to call as witnesses experts whose opinions counteracted those of the prosecution.

no doubt if she did indeed kill and attempt to kill these infants then she more than warrants her numerous whole life terms, but fucking hell, imagine facing that if you're innocent?

anyway, thought it was well made, thought provoking and cast considerable doubt on the entire trial.