Recommend me something to watch!

Besty

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I haven't seen either Ted Lasso or the Mindy project, I was merely PILLORYING Gemmill's long-winded way of saying it was shite. 

Listen, if you haven't picked up on this yet, I'm a REALLY NICE BLOKE. Scoobos gets a rough go of it on here, especially from ewerk, so when he comes bounding into the telly thread talking about his favourite show, and that show happens to be shit, you better fucking believe I'm gonna handle that situation like I'm defusing a bomb. 

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i really enjoyed ted lasso for about a season and a half but it got a bit too saccharine, i gave up. the first season was better

Fuck you 😘

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I started it and tailed off. I'd put it in the "it's so bad, it's approaching ok" category. The characters are likeable but the jokes are fucking terrible. 

I keep thinking I should go back and finish off what's there, but haven't yet. 

It's insane how popular it is for the actual quality of the show. 

Apologies btw didn't mean to piss on your chips! 

Eat shit and die.

You non conformist - the interwebs agrees with me its got 11 out of 10 on IMDB and I cried at nearly every episode in season 2.

Edited by scoobos
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Disappointing last series of Afterlife. Not nearly enough decent gags in it.

I'm 2 episodes in. Big fan of Gervais, but honestly, this is just more of the same so far, no story evolution, just him being maudlin over an unfeasible volume of videos he took of his ex-wife. Don't know if I can be arsed to finish it.

I'm up to series 5 of Always Sunny already. It's an easy watch in the odd 20 minutes I have so ploughing through it. So far it's incredibly one dimensional though and honestly, believe it or not, not as good as Seinfeld imo. There, I've said it. 

I liked it's always sunny in philly , but like most US sitcoms, it loses something after series 3.

Alright then, I'll try again and hopefully this meets with some approval.

Into Sci-fi? "The expanse" on Amazon Prime .

I'm not a massive sci fi fan, but did like Star Trek next gen and the original star wars - I got told about this in November and watched the full lot by the end of Jan!

Enjoy belta lowder.

Edited by scoobos

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm 2 episodes in. Big fan of Gervais, but honestly, this is just more of the same so far, no story evolution, just him being maudlin over an unfeasible volume of videos he took of his ex-wife. Don't know if I can be arsed to finish it.

I'm up to series 5 of Always Sunny already. It's an easy watch in the odd 20 minutes I have so ploughing through it. So far it's incredibly one dimensional though and honestly, believe it or not, not as good as Seinfeld imo. There, I've said it. 

They pull off some unbelievable stuff in the later seasons tbh. Absolutely ridiculous to claim that Jerry jeans up to his tits Seinfeld is better though. 

Finished After Life the other day. It was a lot sadder than it was funny. Alright though. 

• Haha 1

After Life has always been shite, much like Gervais has been since 2002. I have spoken.

TBH, think I watched the first season of After Life and found it acceptable, if a bit confused as to what it wanted to be. Still can’t stand Gervais and his unfunny patter and boring schtick though

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

seinfeld hater pile on in 5...4...3...2...1...

33 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

After Life has always been shite, much like Gervais has been since 2002. I have spoken.

TBH, think I watched the first season of After Life and found it acceptable, if a bit confused as to what it wanted to be. Still can’t stand Gervais and his unfunny patter and boring schtick though

Extras was 2005 so you're wrong. Also wrong about his stand up. I think you're right about After Life though. Could easily have been a single series or even a film, but the latter has already been done better in Truly, madly, deeply imo.  

4 hours ago, Renton said:

jerry seinfeld coffee GIF

• Like 1

Murderville on Netflix is a decent laugh. Will Arnett plays a homicide detective and every episode he gets a new celebrity partner. 

I don't think Arnett knows who he's getting, and the celebrity doesn't have a script so they're basically just improvising. 

By the end of the episode, the celeb has to guess at who the murderer is. 

It sounds nonsense, but Arnett is fucking great and the guests so far have all been good too. 

On 02/02/2022 at 09:48, scoobos said:

I liked it's always sunny in philly , but like most US sitcoms, it loses something after series 3.

Alright then, I'll try again and hopefully this meets with some approval.

Into Sci-fi? "The expanse" on Amazon Prime .

I'm not a massive sci fi fan, but did like Star Trek next gen and the original star wars - I got told about this in November and watched the full lot by the end of Jan!

Enjoy belta lowder.

loved the Expanse, reading the books now, they’re even better (one and a half books into the 9 book series so far !!)

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Toonpack said:

loved the Expanse, reading the books now, they’re even better (one and a half books into the 9 book series so far !!)

Yeah I was gutted when I heard it was being cancelled on Amazon too - but I can appreciate that it costs an absolute truckload to make. I just wonder where the marketing is! 

It's one of the best sci-fi stories of decades imo. I don't know what comes close , it was "breaking bad" addictive for me.

I know that they've deviated from the books in order to bring it to a close with the last season - so I'm tempted to start reading them, but its soooooo many pages! (I'm a beekeeper so read too many books already!)

47 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Yeah I was gutted when I heard it was being cancelled on Amazon too - but I can appreciate that it costs an absolute truckload to make. I just wonder where the marketing is! 

It's one of the best sci-fi stories of decades imo. I don't know what comes close , it was "breaking bad" addictive for me.

I know that they've deviated from the books in order to bring it to a close with the last season - so I'm tempted to start reading them, but its soooooo many pages! (I'm a beekeeper so read too many books already!)

The books are extremely well written and the actors/characterisation in the series matches very well (with minor exceptions) thoroughly enjoying them.

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

The books are extremely well written and the actors/characterisation in the series matches very well (with minor exceptions) thoroughly enjoying them.

Ah there's potential spoilers here, but they seemed to "kill off" some characters in events between Series 5 and 6 so I never got closure. Anyhoo - yup it was mint! Bobbi was the best female action character, I've seen since Ripley in Aliens, I even think she may have been better - loved her raging in the early series.