Just babbling on

Guest Stevie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that all you could pick out btw? :unsure:

The rest is true, Newcastle United is a negative club and has been for a long time. It must be one of the worst places to go as a player.

The rest is true, Newcastle United is a negative club and has been for a long time. It must be one of the worst places to go as a player.

"Yes" then. You missed his point anyway.

His point in the paragraph I highlighted is that Newcastle should be "away" from clubs like Villa and Everton (5th and 6th placed teams) based on Newcastles turnover and "potential" whatever that may be and that Newcastle should learn from their mistakes. I think relegation will make the board learn alot from their mistakes.

get relegated, get shot of the entire first team, fit a wage cap and play our academy team next season in the fizzy pop league, take the money saved and invest, don't allow the team to sink into the first divison, mid table the season after, invest, promotion 3 years time

get murdered and get relegated again

but for fuck sake stop trophy signings and players over 30 on contracts longer than a year

I was thinking last night that one of the 'benefits' of us going down would be that it would give some of our supposedly promising youngsters a chance to play a bit more next season than they would do if we were still in the PL.

get relegated, get shot of the entire first team, fit a wage cap and play our academy team next season in the fizzy pop league, take the money saved and invest, don't allow the team to sink into the first divison, mid table the season after, invest, promotion 3 years time

get murdered and get relegated again

but for fuck sake stop trophy signings and players over 30 on contracts longer than a year

I was thinking last night that one of the 'benefits' of us going down would be that it would give some of our supposedly promising youngsters a chance to play a bit more next season than they would do if we were still in the PL.

I'm not entirely sure we have any promising young players.

His point in the paragraph I highlighted is that Newcastle should be "away" from clubs like Villa and Everton (5th and 6th placed teams) based on Newcastles turnover and "potential" whatever that may be and that Newcastle should learn from their mistakes. I think relegation will make the board learn alot from their mistakes.

His point was correct though.

His point was correct though.

I too thought it was a strange point to make while extolling humility tbf.

I still like to look in here from time to time but it's been a good while since a post inspired me to reply.

That's a great post Steve, obviously heartfelt and (as a neutral) I agree with every word. I was shot down on here many months ago when I commented on Ashley and his attempted mingling with the fans, wearring his shirt and downing his pint. I was told it didn't matter but it does... It doesn't portray the right image of a chairman to be respected. The players need a manager (and preferably a chairman) they respect. I don't think Ashley will ever be respected in that way, Joe Kinnear certainly couldn't be and (although I'll invoke the wrath of many) I don't think KK ever would have been. KK might have been a god to the suppoprters but I don't think most players would ever respect him as 'a winner'.

Maybe Shearer can become that person (if he can be persuaded to stay).

N17, you're right Everton are a big club, but I agree with Stevie, potentially Newcastle are far bigger. You say turnover isn't the be all and end all, maybe not but it's the single most important factor. The game is now ruled by money, I see little hope of anybody breaking the stranglehold of the so called Big 4. The champions league generates enormous income, enabling those clubs to invest more than anybody else to ensure they get into the champions league yet again... to generate that income yet again. It's self-fulfilling! Sadly I think the chances of 'smaller' clubs like Forest, Ipswich etc ever winning the league again are long gone. Maybe if the Italians or Spaniards usurp our domination of the champions league it will level the playing field slightly but I don't even see that happening in the short term.

Edit - For HF:

I take your point but the argument he made was based on turnover which is the best way to demonstate where Newcastle are punching below their weight. If we have a higher turnover than a club in Europe (and it's been consisently higher for some time now) it's not unfair to say we should be doing better than that club consistently. We must be just about the only club which regularly makes the Richest Clubs lists that is as badly run and as unsuccessful. All the top clubs in Europe now are the ones with the highest turnovers. That's not exactly a new thing but it's even more the case now. Also, I don't really think Stevie was belittling Everton. He was, to my mind, making the point that Everton have less financial clout than us, or have had over the past few years, yet get things right in the club in terms of personnel, attitude and so on and by (dare I say it?) having a good manager and backing him.

Perhaps N17 wasn't just nitpicking but it came across that way to me.

Edited by alex

I still like to look in here from time to time but it's been a good while since a post inspired me to reply.

That's a great post Steve, obviously heartfelt and (as a neutral) I agree with every word. I was shot down on here many months ago when I commented on Ashley and his attempted mingling with the fans, wearring his shirt and downing his pint. I was told it didn't matter but it does... It doesn't portray the right image of a chairman to be respected. The players need a manager (and preferably a chairman) they respect. I don't think Ashley will ever be respected in that way, Joe Kinnear certainly couldn't be and (although I'll invoke the wrath of many) I don't think KK ever would have been. KK might have been a god to the suppoprters but I don't think most players would ever respect him as 'a winner'.

Maybe Shearer can become that person (if he can be persuaded to stay).

N17, you're right Everton are a big club, but I agree with Stevie, potentially Newcastle are far bigger. You say turnover isn't the be all and end all, maybe not but it's the single most important factor. The game is now ruled by money, I see little hope of anybody breaking the stranglehold of the so called Big 4. The champions league generates enormous income, enabling those clubs to invest more than anybody else to ensure they get into the champions league yet again... to generate that income yet again. It's self-fulfilling! Sadly I think the chances of 'smaller' clubs like Forest, Ipswich etc ever winning the league again are long gone. Maybe if the Italians or Spaniards usurp our domination of the champions league it will level the playing field slightly but I don't even see that happening in the short term.

Ashley deserves to be ass-raped with for many of his choices (and lies), but of all the things that have happened at the club, that is the very least of the issues.

He could have sat naked in the stands oiling himself with melted butter, IF he'd done a few other things right.

Keegan did seem to have the players respect (as well as the fans) and more than that had them playing well and with confidence (something Kinnear has never seemed to do - hence his stupidly bad win rate)

Mort was seemingly a decent chairman, who at least [it seems] kept the lid on other things, Lambrusco on the other hand seems to have been a hideously bad choice and Wise well...... :unsure:

I'm so upset tonight, honestly to god I am, I'm fuckin heartbroken, but I tell you what we must do, because this club in my view, with our potential should be away from the likes of Everton and Aston Villa, but we need to show some humility, and start taking a leaf out of these clubs' books, particularly Everton. Everton are not a massive club, they have a turnover over 30% lower than ours despite having European football, but David Moyes makes sure everybody that comes through the door at Goodison Park, is completely aware of the clubs history, its' supporters expectations, and his vision for where Everton should be. Liverpool is not a nicer place than Newcastle, they as a business and fanbase are so very far behind us, but it works for them, because all of their players come in there respect Everton Football Club, it hasn't happened here for 5 years, it's why we're going down, there are scores of people to blame. If we don't learn from our mistakes we might as well just chuck it now, all of us.

It's so funny. You talk about humility yet claim you should be a bigger club then Everton and Villa. Both Everton and Villa are a bigger club then you will ever become. The walls at VP and Goodison breath football, the lockers are filled with history and trophies. What do you have to even come close to call yourself a remotely big club? You've got a fair amount of supporters due to your location and you can't even make that go to your advantage.

Can't wait for your big club post when we send you down in May. :unsure:

I'm so upset tonight, honestly to god I am, I'm fuckin heartbroken, but I tell you what we must do, because this club in my view, with our potential should be away from the likes of Everton and Aston Villa, but we need to show some humility, and start taking a leaf out of these clubs' books, particularly Everton. Everton are not a massive club, they have a turnover over 30% lower than ours despite having European football, but David Moyes makes sure everybody that comes through the door at Goodison Park, is completely aware of the clubs history, its' supporters expectations, and his vision for where Everton should be. Liverpool is not a nicer place than Newcastle, they as a business and fanbase are so very far behind us, but it works for them, because all of their players come in there respect Everton Football Club, it hasn't happened here for 5 years, it's why we're going down, there are scores of people to blame. If we don't learn from our mistakes we might as well just chuck it now, all of us.

It's so funny. You talk about humility yet claim you should be a bigger club then Everton and Villa. Both Everton and Villa are a bigger club then you will ever become. The walls at VP and Goodison breath football, the lockers are filled with history and trophies. What do you have to even come close to call yourself a remotely big club? You've got a fair amount of supporters due to your location and you can't even make that go to your advantage.

It's amazing for such a "small" club how many supporters from other clubs can't help but post on NUFC forums. :razz:

It's amazing for such a "small" club how many supporters from other clubs can't help but post on NUFC forums. :nufc:

Everybody loves a good circus! :razz::):nufc:

Can't wait for your big club post when we send you down in May. :razz:

It's amazing for such a "small" club how many supporters from other clubs can't help but post on NUFC forums. :nufc:

Everybody loves a good circus! :):nufc: :nufc:

The Small Top? The most mediocre show on earth?

Yeah right. :unsure:

Could we avoid another my Dad's cock's bigger than your Dad's cock debate by any chance?

I've told people - it's been done before, just use the search function for a comprehensive analysis of comparisons in trophies, attendances and overall performance throughout history.

We sit down for 20 minutes, cringe for 40 minutes and agree that it's as subjective as can be and send them on their way, or the thread just fizzles out because we got 4000 for a home match once, or something.

Could we avoid another my Dad's cock's bigger than your Dad's cock debate by any chance?

I've told people - it's been done before, just use the search function for a comprehensive analysis of comparisons in trophies, attendances and overall performance throughout history.

We sit down for 20 minutes, cringe for 40 minutes and agree that it's as subjective as can be and send them on their way, or the thread just fizzles out because we got 4000 for a home match once, or something.

Zip it Petty! You're one of the main culprits. :unsure:

There are no Everton or Villa fans on here to argue there corner over who is a bigger club. Tottenham have a higher turnover than Newcastle and thats despite having a 19k difference in stadium capacity but that reason alone doesnt make us a bigger club in terms of profile or potential. There are many factors which add up to a clubs size. The only reason i commented in the first place was stevies lack of humility in a post that he claims Newcastle need more!!

Edit - For HF:

I take your point but the argument he made was based on turnover which is the best way to demonstate where Newcastle are punching below their weight. If we have a higher turnover than a club in Europe (and it's been consisently higher for some time now) it's not unfair to say we should be doing better than that club consistently. We must be just about the only club which regularly makes the Richest Clubs lists that is as badly run and as unsuccessful. All the top clubs in Europe now are the ones with the highest turnovers. That's not exactly a new thing but it's even more the case now. Also, I don't really think Stevie was belittling Everton. He was, to my mind, making the point that Everton have less financial clout than us, or have had over the past few years, yet get things right in the club in terms of personnel, attitude and so on and by (dare I say it?) having a good manager and backing him.

Perhaps N17 wasn't just nitpicking but it came across that way to me.

It's what crossed my mind when reading it this morning, but I knew what Stevie meant and wasn't going to post anything....as you say, it's nitpicking.

The other thought that occured to me reading the OP was that what Moyes has done at Everton has been with his hands tied behind his back. If he was given the wedge he asks for every close season, he'd be bringing in the same money hungry luxury players we have that hide during a relegation scrap. Nature of the game now.

Again, I wouldn't have bothered raising such a small contention because it's obvious what he means, the passion is clear in the original post and the despair genuine.

Personally I'm enjoying going to the football more than I have in a while. Another of the lads was saying before last nights game that he hadn't been as excited about a game since the Cardiff semi. It's just a shame the nervous excitement seems to result in silence from 90% of the stadium rather than blowing the roof off.

I'm even looking forward to a trouncing off Liverpool with the hopeless optimism that Man U's 22 minutes has broken their spirit and they're there for the taking.

Edited by Happy Face

There are no Everton or Villa fans on here to argue there corner over who is a bigger club. Tottenham have a higher turnover than Newcastle and thats despite having a 19k difference in stadium capacity but that reason alone doesnt make us a bigger club in terms of profile or potential. There are many factors which add up to a clubs size. The only reason i commented in the first place was stevies lack of humility in a post that he claims Newcastle need more!!

Yes there are, and they are. :unsure: