Remakes

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

I see the BBC are remaking The Fall & Rise of Reginald Perrin with Martin Clunes in the title role. Bound to be shite in comparison to the classic '70s Leonard Rossiter original.

Which set me wondering, is a remake ever as good (or better) than the original?

The only one that springs to mind is Oceans Eleven.

Any others?

Can we bring up awful remakes? The second Italian job was a pile of piss (mainly because Michael Caine makes the first one so great), and the fact that are nearly all American doesn't do it much good.

I remember watching the original Thing from outer space as a kid and being scared but then seeing it years later and realising it was a pretty typical 50s b movie - Carpenter's was certainly an improvement.

I caught the start of Total Recall the other night and on looking it up on IMDb to find out what happened to Rachel Ticotin (not much) I saw that's up for a new version - don't think it will work without Arnie's unique talents.

I remember watching the original Thing from outer space as a kid and being scared but then seeing it years later and realising it was a pretty typical 50s b movie - Carpenter's was certainly an improvement.

I caught the start of Total Recall the other night and on looking it up on IMDb to find out what happened to Rachel Ticotin (not much) I saw that's up for a new version - don't think it will work without Arnie's unique talents.

It's a fantastic story though and could be better without Arnie imo.

Trophyshy, I much preferred the remake of CatCC. Jacksontastic.

The Thing (Carpenter) is a film I must have re-watched at least a dozen times.