Documentaries

The Fish

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one of those days where the stuff I thought would take all day have either been done by the fellas in over the night or took me twenty minutes. I'm at a loss for things to do and you're a distraction.

It's one of those days where the stuff I thought would take all day have either been done by the fellas in over the night or took me twenty minutes. I'm at a loss for things to do and you're a distraction.

Confessions of a Mail-Room Boy.

Confessions of a Mail-Room Boy.

Shut yer face.

What's the plans for today then? Other than bug the crap out of the fellas on here?

Is The Thin Red Line any good? Coming on now, and I want some guarantees of quality before I waste the remainder of my day on it. Quick quick, please!

I prefer him in Blackadder to be honest.

p.s.

Re: The Thin Red Line, I really enjoyed it but got the impression it would have made a good series. As long as they had the same level of storyline and conjecture throughout. It sounds crazy but I could have sat through more of the same for hours... it would need to be broken into episodes mind.

took me 30 seconds

Well it's a good hour since I asked, dickface!

I don't spend ALL my time on here cock-knocker!

Also, if you weren't so fegging lazy you could have gone to the Movie thread and looked yourself!

Why're you taking a break? not enjoying it, didn't start it or need a piss?

• 1 year later...

Some newer docs to have a look at from the Oscar nominations......

By Banksy

This is the inside story of Street Art - a brutal and revealing account of what happens when fame, money and vandalism collide. Exit Through the Gift Shop follows an eccentric shop-keeper turned amateur film-maker as he attempts to capture many of the world's most infamous vandals on camera, only to have a British stencil artist named Banksy turn the camcorder back on its owner with wildly unexpected results.

One of the most provocative films about art ever made, Exit Through the Gift Shop is a fascinating study of low-level criminality, comradeship and incompetence. By turns shocking, hilarious and absurd, this is an enthralling modern-day fairytale... with bolt cutters.

It is happening all across America and now in Europe and Africa as well - rural landowners wake up one day to find a lucrative offer from a multinational energy conglomerate wanting to lease their property. The Reason? In America, the company hopes to tap into a huge natural gas reservoir dubbed the Saudi Arabia of natural gas. Halliburton developed a way to get the gas out of the ground—a hydraulic drilling process called fracking—and suddenly America finds itself on the precipice of becoming an energy superpower.

But what comes out of the ground with that natural gas? How does it affect our air and drinking water? GASLAND is a powerful personal documentary that confronts these questions with spirit, strength, and a sense of humor. When filmmaker Josh Fox receives his cash offer in the mail, he travels across 32 states to meet other rural residents on the front lines of fracking. He discovers toxic streams, ruined aquifers, dying livestock, brutal illnesses, and kitchen sinks that burst into flame. He learns that all water is connected and perhaps some things are more valuable than money.

From Academy Award® nominated filmmaker, Charles Ferguson ("No End In Sight"), comes INSIDE JOB, the first film to expose the shocking truth behind the economic crisis of 2008. The global financial meltdown, at a cost of over $20 trillion, resulted in millions of people losing their homes and jobs. Through extensive research and interviews with major financial insiders, politicians and journalists, INSIDE JOB traces the rise of a rogue industry and unveils the corrosive relationships which have corrupted politics, regulation and academia. Narrated by Academy Award® winner Matt Damon, INSIDE JOB was made on location in the United States, Iceland, England, France, Singapore, and China.

"Restrepo" is a feature-length documentary that chronicles the deployment of a platoon of U.S. soldiers to Afghanistan's Korengal Valley. The movie focuses on a remote 15-man outpost, Restrepo, named after a platoon medic who was killed in action. It was considered one of the most dangerous postings in the US military. This is an entirely experiential film: our cameras never leave the valley, we dont interview generals or diplomats. Our only goal is to make you feel as though you have just done a 90-minute deployment. This is war, full stop. The conclusions are up to you.

Filmed over nearly three years, 'WASTE LAND' follows renowned artist Vik Muniz as he journeys from his home base in Brooklyn to his native Brazil and the world's largest garbage dump, Jardim Gramacho, located on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro. There he photographs an eclectic band of "catadores" - or self-designated pickers of recyclable materials. Muniz's initial objective was to "paint" the catadores with garbage. However, his collaboration with these inspiring characters as they recreate photographic images of themselves out of garbage reveals both dignity and despair as the catadores begin to re-imagine their lives. Walker ('DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND', 'BLINDSIGHT') has great access to the entire process and, in the end, offers stirring evidence of the transformative power of art and the alchemy of the human spirit.

Saw Restrepo on National Geographic a few weeks back. Good film and to the people who say the US Infantry are shit and pussies, you wanna watch this!

Downloaded it a few weeks ago. Need to get it watched.

If anyone knows of an equivalent doc from the other side,...reporters embedded with Afghan fighters...I'd be interested in seeing that too.

Edited by Happy Face

Saw Restrepo on National Geographic a few weeks back. Good film and to the people who say the US Infantry are shit and pussies, you wanna watch this!

Downloaded it a few weeks ago. Need to get it watched.

If anyone knows of an equivalent doc from the other side,...reporters embedded with Afghan fighters...I'd be interested in seeing that too.

Youll enjoy it man.

• 6 months later...