Documentaries

The Fish

Touching the Void was canny good although I've preferred a few docs I've seen with actual footage of ascents of Everest and that sort of thing. Especially one I saw about Reinhold Messner. What a guy.

I'm going through a phase where I'm canny addicted to climbing books and documentaries. Read all of Joe Simpson's books and must have read about four independent accounts of the 1996 Everest tragedy (each one blaming someone else). It's motivated me into getting into a bit of scrambling myself, slowly working my way up through the difficulties, will have to learn how to use rope and invest in crampons, ice axe, and a helmet soon. If anyone fancies a crack at the Cuillin of Aonach Eagach give me a call!

Strange thing is I'm shit scared of heights and get vertigo, guess that's why I like the challenge.

I recommend Cliffhanger as a good film to watch about that sort of thing. :jesuswept:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Touching the Void was canny good although I've preferred a few docs I've seen with actual footage of ascents of Everest and that sort of thing. Especially one I saw about Reinhold Messner. What a guy.

I'm going through a phase where I'm canny addicted to climbing books and documentaries. Read all of Joe Simpson's books and must have read about four independent accounts of the 1996 Everest tragedy (each one blaming someone else). It's motivated me into getting into a bit of scrambling myself, slowly working my way up through the difficulties, will have to learn how to use rope and invest in crampons, ice axe, and a helmet soon. If anyone fancies a crack at the Cuillin of Aonach Eagach give me a call!

Strange thing is I'm shit scared of heights and get vertigo, guess that's why I like the challenge.

I reckon it's because you want to get rescued by swarthy Mountain Rescue types.

I've never understood Moutain climbers or the guys that go to the pole, the fellas that go to incredible lengths to get somewhere other people have already been, do so at great risk to themselves as well. I just can't imagine that it'd be fun and given someone's already done it.. what's the satisfaction?

I mean those that adventure through the Amazon fair dos, they could discover a new breed of rat that can cure cancer or something.

I also never understood why they have to make it a little more preposterous each time they do it. To the pole without power, up Everest without oxygen, without sherpas, up K2 on one leg, blindfolded, whilst playing Kabaddi.

:jesuswept: just never understood it, is all.

I've never understood Moutain climbers or the guys that go to the pole, the fellas that go to incredible lengths to get somewhere other people have already been, do so at great risk to themselves as well. I just can't imagine that it'd be fun and given someone's already done it.. what's the satisfaction?

I mean those that adventure through the Amazon fair dos, they could discover a new breed of rat that can cure cancer or something.

I also never understood why they have to make it a little more preposterous each time they do it. To the pole without power, up Everest without oxygen, without sherpas, up K2 on one leg, blindfolded, whilst playing Kabaddi.

I can understand it like. It's all about testing yourself against your own limits, the environment, etc. Also, going up Everest without oxygen wasn't preposterous as I see it. It was about proving it could be done unassisted. Also, I suppose there's exploration etc. with the goal of being the first then there's other people who just want to prove to themselves they can do it.

Like many things it doesn't make sense. But personally, I totally get it, although I can't communicate why.

One of Simpson's books is called 'The Game of Ghosts'. In it he catalogues numerous times he was nearly killed and reminisces over all his friends who were less fortunate. In one bit, he had a big fall off a Himalyan mountain (Pumori iirc) where he shattered the other knee to the one he wrecked on touching the void. Lying in the snow, in agony, with a good chance of dying, he bitterly asked himself why the fuck he put himself in that position again after the Peru trip. The answer was, he simply couldn't help himself.

We've all got to go at some point or another, I think for some people they have to risk their lives even to feel alive. It's odd but as I said I understand it. Finding it difficult to find anyone else who shares my enthusiam though. :lol:

I've heard those arguments before and like I said, the blokes who stride off into the Amazon Basin with a compass and an army knife are people I can admire, but when I hear about some chinless wonder tottering about on the peak of some well trodden mountain I just don't find myself that impressed. Clearly, it's not that the task is not difficult, simply that I don't see the point.

That's probably why I will never be the type of man to stand shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Sir Ranulph Fienes (sp) atop Everest with a cigar in one hand and the flag in the other.

(that of course being the only reason)

Edited by The Fish

I've heard those arguments before and like I said, the blokes who stride off into the Amazon Basin with a compass and an army knife are people I can admire, but when I hear about some chinless wonder tottering about on the peak of some well trodden mountain I just don't find myself that impressed. Clearly, it's not that the task is not difficult, simply that I don't see the point.

That's probably why I will never be the type of man to stand shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Sir Ranulph Fienes (sp) atop Everest with a cigar in one hand and the flag in the other.

Doubt if they do it to impress you though :jesuswept:

Doubt if they do it to impress you though :lol:

:jesuswept: Really?

Cripes.

:razz:

Don't you think high mountains have an incredible beauty though? I'm blown away by being on top of Helvellyn let alone Everest.

Realistically, at my age, I have about 10 years left to tackle some real mountains. I really want to do Mont Blanc or some of the smaller Himalayan peaks in this time. Thousands of people have done them before but personally I couldn't give a shit, I want to do it for absolutely no reason but my own personal satisfaction. It's good exercise too. Care to join me Fish?

Don't you think high mountains have an incredible beauty though? I'm blown away by being on top of Helvellyn let alone Everest.

Realistically, at my age, I have about 10 years left to tackle some real mountains. I really want to do Mont Blanc or some of the smaller Himalayan peaks in this time. Thousands of people have done them before but personally I couldn't give a shit, I want to do it for absolutely no reason but my own personal satisfaction. It's good exercise too. Care to join me Fish?

I've been up a couple of the smaller Bens in Scotland and found the experience cold, wet and shit. I don't doubt there are some staggeringly beautiful vistas to be had from atop a mountain, but as beautiful as they are, they're not made more so by freezing your cohibas off and breaking your ankle. Especially when you could enjoy the same sight-seeing from a hot air balloon, or a helicopter or whatever. As the mountains themselves, can you really enjoy their grandeur when sweating through the ten layers of clothes and squinting through eyelids closed tight against the relentless elements? Wouldn't that be like an ant trying to be impressed by Michaelangelo's David whilst someone attacking it with Raid

I've been up a couple of the smaller Bens in Scotland and found the experience cold, wet and shit. I don't doubt there are some staggeringly beautiful vistas to be had from atop a mountain, but as beautiful as they are, they're not made more so by freezing your cohibas off and breaking your ankle. Especially when you could enjoy the same sight-seeing from a hot air balloon, or a helicopter or whatever. As the mountains themselves, can you really enjoy their grandeur when sweating through the ten layers of clothes and squinting through eyelids closed tight against the relentless elements? Wouldn't that be like an ant trying to be impressed by Michaelangelo's David whilst someone attacking it with Raid

I appreciate it's not your cup of char but you must be able to see people do it for the beauty, the desolation, the sense of achievement etc. A bit like you cooking something from scratch instead of phoning the pizza delivery place again :jesuswept:

I appreciate it's not your cup of char but you must be able to see people do it for the beauty, the desolation, the sense of achievement etc. A bit like you cooking something from scratch instead of phoning the pizza delivery place again :jesuswept:

Thats the problem, he can't get a delivery up there.

I've been up a couple of the smaller Bens in Scotland and found the experience cold, wet and shit. I don't doubt there are some staggeringly beautiful vistas to be had from atop a mountain, but as beautiful as they are, they're not made more so by freezing your cohibas off and breaking your ankle. Especially when you could enjoy the same sight-seeing from a hot air balloon, or a helicopter or whatever. As the mountains themselves, can you really enjoy their grandeur when sweating through the ten layers of clothes and squinting through eyelids closed tight against the relentless elements? Wouldn't that be like an ant trying to be impressed by Michaelangelo's David whilst someone attacking it with Raid ™

I mean, I get that it's a difficult thing, I get that mountains are big and beautiful (much like myself), I just see Lord Swytherington III stumbling up the Alps as a collossal waste of his endeavour and finance. He could be doing something like traipsing through Borneo in search of a lost tribe.

I'm just not built that way I guess.

p.s. don't let my rambling monday afternoon thoughts in anyway lead you to believe that I could do what they've done, or that I think it's easy. Just that I don't see the attraction and the arguments I've heard in it's favour don't wash (much like yourself).

I've been up a couple of the smaller Bens in Scotland and found the experience cold, wet and shit. I don't doubt there are some staggeringly beautiful vistas to be had from atop a mountain, but as beautiful as they are, they're not made more so by freezing your cohibas off and breaking your ankle. Especially when you could enjoy the same sight-seeing from a hot air balloon, or a helicopter or whatever. As the mountains themselves, can you really enjoy their grandeur when sweating through the ten layers of clothes and squinting through eyelids closed tight against the relentless elements? Wouldn't that be like an ant trying to be impressed by Michaelangelo's David whilst someone attacking it with Raid ™

I mean, I get that it's a difficult thing, I get that mountains are big and beautiful (much like myself), I just see Lord Swytherington III stumbling up the Alps as a collossal waste of his endeavour and finance. He could be doing something like traipsing through Borneo in search of a lost tribe.

I'm just not built that way I guess.

p.s. don't let my rambling monday afternoon thoughts in anyway lead you to believe that I could do what they've done, or that I think it's easy. Just that I don't see the attraction and the arguments I've heard in it's favour don't wash (much like yourself).

If you say so Ballaty.

Hey Renton, watch you don't pull a mountain over on top of you, you fat shite!

I get that mountains are big and beautiful (much like myself)

Is that what mammy tells you?

You having a bad day at work or something? :jesuswept:

Hey Renton, watch you don't pull a mountain over on top of you, you fat shite!

I get that mountains are big and beautiful (much like myself)

Is that what mammy tells you?

You having a bad day at work or something? :jesuswept:

Looks like he's been let off his leash. His lass must be away for a couple of days or something, he's like a kid let loose with a 2 litre bottle of Sunny Delight...