Objectively ... we're still rubbish

Rob W

Just, only just, managed to put away one of the worst teams in the PL at home on Saturday

Struggled against a League 2/Div 4 side yesterday with a full side out

This is not good................

The form book goes out the window for the Derby games and on a wet and windy night we won reasonably comfortably away from home in the League Cup against a team who beat a good Spurs side in the last round.

If this was another manager I'd say exactly what Alex said and also that we need a couple of wins to get the confidence back. But we'll never play good football under Sounnes so I agree, Rob.

No its not Alex - we're struggling against poor sides and getting beaten by average outfits

50003[/snapback]

Playing devil's advocate really.

We're in a Souness mini blip - we had two last year as well. Some good results against poor opposition, but still playing poorly. Next slump due before Christmas I reckon, and it will be Souness's last.

I was about to say that. You can say that matches like Grimsby and Sunderland can't be used as a yardstick to say we're shite by, but then the unconvincing wins can't be used to say we've turned a corner either.

Remember Souness' 7 game unbeaten run?

We were without Owen, Ameobi (new Shearer now like), Luque (whoever he is), Emre, Boumsong (thank god) and Carr though.

And Nobby, Baba and Titus were just back from injury.

Thought we started well and were gonna score, we'd have breezed it then i reckon.

In fact, we played better than i expected, i'm not sure what that says about us though!

No its not Alex - we're struggling against poor sides and getting beaten by average outfits

50003[/snapback]

Playing devil's advocate really.

50015[/snapback]

Why?

Don't you care that we're shite?

50097[/snapback]

No, I think you could argue the last two games were potential 'banana skins' that we managed to avoid.

Every game is a bloody banana skin these days tho'

50124[/snapback]

Good point, I don't care though, obviously :o

50128[/snapback]

Obviously, as you didn't realise.

50204[/snapback]

I was being sarcastic obviously, as you didn't realise.

If you called that our "full side", I worry for the futures of Carr, Boumsong, Dyer, Emre, Luque & Owen. I'm sure if we'd played someone like Chelsea last night he'd have played Emre & Boumsong, and maybe risked Owen & Dyer. He picked a side to win the match, we did that. We never looked like losing at any stage of that match.

If you called that our "full side", I worry for the futures of Carr, Boumsong, Dyer, Emre, Luque & Owen. I'm sure if we'd played someone like Chelsea last night he'd have played Emre & Boumsong, and maybe risked Owen & Dyer. He picked a side to win the match, we did that. We never looked like losing at any stage of that match.

50360[/snapback]

Though the problem is, how often will we see a side without any injuries during a season, maybe in 5-10 games if everything is perfect. The fact is that still the manager can send on a decent squad in most games, i.e. against West Ham, Wigan etc. And even if those games against Sunderland and Grimsby got won, it was against very poor teams, were the team still struggled. Of course you can say, that the team did what was necessary, but in if fact a only slightly better teams like those last two probably would beat us.

50360[/snapback]

But what is his full strength side anyway?

I think the back four the other night is probably the best we have, Carr and Boumsong are so bad I certainly don't see Carr as being any better at RB than Ramage, and Boumsong..........what can I say? Taylor and Bramble is quite probably a better pairing.

Dyer, Emre, Luque and Owen. Well I only think he can use all of these players if he uses Dyer as a striker. He shouldn't play on the right ahead of Solano, that's for sure. In other words, if he goes with Shearer and Owen, there's no place anymore for Dyer if everyone else is fit.

Of course, according to some, he may go with Owen and Luque, so perhaps Dyer can play on the left.

50360[/snapback]

I think the back four the other night is probably the best we have, Carr and Boumsong are so bad I certainly don't see Carr as being any better at RB than Ramage, and Boumsong..........what can I say? Taylor and Bramble is quite probably a better pairing.

Dyer, Emre, Luque and Owen. Well I only think he can use all of these players if he uses Dyer as a striker. He shouldn't play on the right ahead of Solano, that's for sure. In other words, if he goes with Shearer and Owen, there's no place anymore for Dyer if everyone else is fit.

Of course, according to some, he may go with Owen and Luque, so perhaps Dyer can play on the left.

50413[/snapback]

why you wouldn't let it lie!

50360[/snapback]

50413[/snapback]

50415[/snapback]

Ok, I will now.

What do you think is Mr Souness's full strength team?

50360[/snapback]

50413[/snapback]

50415[/snapback]

Ok, I will now.

50419[/snapback]

Given, Taylor, Ramage, Bramble, Boumsong, Solano, Parker, Emre, N'Zogbia, Owen, Luque

I think we're short a left winger to be honest :o

50360[/snapback]

50413[/snapback]

50415[/snapback]

Ok, I will now.

50419[/snapback]

Given, Taylor, Ramage, Bramble, Boumsong, Solano, Parker, Emre, N'Zogbia, Owen, Luque

50439[/snapback]

No place for the bling bastard in your team, then. :o

Assuming neither Bramble or Boumsong would be at full back, you've got Taylor, Luque and Zog out of position. Dodgy that, like. Nearly 1/3 of your outfield players not in their best roles, are you Mr Souness?

How about this......

Given, Ramage, Taylor, Bramble, Babayaro, Solano, Parker, Emre, Luque, Owen, Dyer.

Out of interest and on a more serious note, neither of those teams look great to me considering £50m and the squad Mr Souness started with.

Edited by Howaythelads

50360[/snapback]

50413[/snapback]

50415[/snapback]

Ok, I will now.

50419[/snapback]

50439[/snapback]

No place for the bling bastard in your team, then. :o

Assuming neither Bramble or Boumsong would be at full back, you've got Taylor, Luque and Zog out of position. Dodgy that, like. Nearly 1/3 of your outfield players not in their best roles, are you Mr Souness?

How about this......

Given, Ramage, Taylor, Bramble, Babayaro, Solano, Parker, Emre, Luque, Owen, Dyer.

Out of interest and on a more serious note, neither of those teams look great to me considering £50m and the squad Mr Souness started with.

50445[/snapback]

Which players have I got out of position apart from Taylor? I think N'Zogbia is a better winger than a central midfielder, and Luque is a striker (yawn). At the moment in my opinion Taylor is the best right back we have at the club.

Can't disagree with you about the £50m comment though. We needed to sign a left winger and two full backs, and didn't sign any of those.