George Bests health

peasepud

ps. i wonder how long before someone on here blames him for his parkinsons because he new the dangers boxing carried  :o

50327[/snapback]

Well it is a fair point in this context. Kind of is the point really. Self inflicted disease, just like Best.

Edited by Renton

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ps. i wonder how long before someone on here blames him for his parkinsons because he new the dangers boxing carried  :o

50327[/snapback]

Well it is a fair point in this context. Kind of is the point really. Self inflicted disease, just like Best.

50328[/snapback]

aye but to my klnowlage bests profession wasnt an alchoholic. every proffesion has its risks. another sporting example would be lance armstrong. best could hvae got help, but he didn't and he even said he was off the booze.

Tired old factually incorrect argument. All of the tax gathered from smokers will never cover the medical costs of treating same for smopking related diseases. Not taking into consideration the outlay for non smokers suffering from second hand smoke and the asthma treatments for children born to smoking parents. or the millions spent on premature baby clinics for babies born to drinking mothers.

I am glad the old c*nt is dying. he is a wife beating sh*t. or maybe that is a "disease" too.

P.S I dont think of alcoholism as a disease or you wouldn't be able to beat it without prescription medication like millions have in the past.

50290[/snapback]

hmmm let me see.

tax on a packet of 20? at least £2.... so every day I pay £2 (on top of my Income Tax, VAT, Council tax etc) towards the country...In total I've smoked for approx 11 years so thats 11 x 365 x £2 = £8030, time spent in hospital = emmmm zero. so as far as I see it Im currently £8030 in credit, based on the fact that smokers die earlier then theres a good chance Im gonna die before I go senile and spend years between hospital and care homes pissin me pants and claiming the State pension that I've contributed to so theres another £70 per week for lets say 10 years.....

As for you, all healthy and glowing, you'll probably live to 100 and cost the country thousands...

you selfish twat. :o

aye but to my klnowlage bests profession wasnt an alchoholic. every proffesion has its risks. another sporting example would be lance armstrong. best could hvae got help, but he didn't and he even said he was off the booze.

50330[/snapback]

So if Best was paid to drink alcohol it would be a different scenario?

Tired old factually incorrect argument. All of the tax gathered from smokers will never cover the medical costs of treating same for smopking related diseases. Not taking into consideration the outlay for non smokers suffering from second hand smoke and the asthma treatments for children born to smoking parents. or the millions spent on premature baby clinics for babies born to drinking mothers.

I am glad the old c*nt is dying. he is a wife beating sh*t. or maybe that is a "disease" too.

P.S I dont think of alcoholism as a disease or you wouldn't be able to beat it without prescription medication like millions have in the past.

50290[/snapback]

hmmm let me see.

tax on a packet of 20? at least £2.... so every day I pay £2 (on top of my Income Tax, VAT, Council tax etc) towards the country...In total I've smoked for approx 11 years so thats 11 x 365 x £2 = £8030, time spent in hospital = emmmm zero. so as far as I see it Im currently £8030 in credit, based on the fact that smokers die earlier then theres a good chance Im gonna die before I go senile and spend years between hospital and care homes pissin me pants and claiming the State pension that I've contributed to so theres another £70 per week for lets say 10 years.....

As for you, all healthy and glowing, you'll probably live to 100 and cost the country thousands...

you selfish twat. :o

50331[/snapback]

Seriously Peasepud, why do you do it? Does the dubious pleasure of cigarettes outweigh all the negatives - health/money/smelling bad? Are you smoking to get oune up against the sanctimonious twats, or because you are too addicted?

I know I'm a cunt about this, but I don't think he should've received his new liver due to his alcoholism. But at the same time, it pisses me off when I have to do PET scans on smokers with lung cancer that CONTINUE TO SMOKE! I also hate having to do cardiac scans on people that have had coronary artery bypass grafts that have continued to smoke and eat like shit.

Maybe I've started to become bitter and twisted about working in health care, but if you receive these life saving surgeries, especially those that get it all on the NHS, and then continue with the self-detructive behaviour then I have absolutely no sympathy and will just go through the motions when working with you.

49965[/snapback]

I think you are quite right, Steve.

It's unbelievable that people who smoke and drink should expect you to treat them when they get related problems. After all it's not like they've ever contributed to the health service is it?

If you are just going to go through the motions though it does seem a little a bit of a waste of your valuable time.

Maybe we could compromise? You give me back every penny of the taxation from my daily packet of fags for 35 years and my booze and then I'll go and get private treatment with the money. Sounds a good deal to me?

After you've repaid all us smokers & drinkers our extra taxation though don't be suprised if you don't have a job, or even a health service left.

:o

50283[/snapback]

50290[/snapback]

I'm not a smoker, but I think FCUM is right on this one. I'm sure I read about a study in the paper a few months back which claimed there was a net gain from smoking taxation even with smoking related illness etc deducted.

50340[/snapback]

If that's true it is pretty categorical evidence that the government does care more about our well -being than how much money it can make from us.

I reckon most smokers are addicted, plain and simple.

50468[/snapback]

Absolutely :o

I gave up nearly 2 years ago after a 16 year 15-20 a day habit.

It's a stupid shitty evil habit and I'm glad I'm free of the bastards. :o:o

50468[/snapback]

50485[/snapback]

Piss easy to give up though. Seriously.

50468[/snapback]

50485[/snapback]

50486[/snapback]

Some people find it really hard though. Seriously.

50468[/snapback]

50485[/snapback]

50486[/snapback]

50487[/snapback]

I know. Lack of will power. Seriously.

50468[/snapback]

50485[/snapback]

50486[/snapback]

50487[/snapback]

50489[/snapback]

It wasn't easy.

Still did it though.

:middle finger:

50468[/snapback]

50485[/snapback]

50486[/snapback]

50487[/snapback]

50489[/snapback]

It wasn't easy.

Still did it though.

:middle finger:

50491[/snapback]

Congratualtions. You have some sense and will power.

50489[/snapback]

Some people lack will power though, therefore it isn't piss easy for them to give up. Seriously. :o

50489[/snapback]

Some people lack will power though, therefore it isn't piss easy for them to give up. Seriously. :o

50497[/snapback]

I know. Got a friend who's a consultant who smokes like a chimney. She knows better than most the risk, and has 4 kids. But she can't stop. Silly cow.

50489[/snapback]

50497[/snapback]

I know. Got a friend who's a consultant who smokes like a chimney. She knows better than most the risk, and has 4 kids. But she can't stop. Silly cow.

50499[/snapback]

On the plus side, at least she's still got her hair, eh?

50489[/snapback]

50497[/snapback]

50499[/snapback]

I wish wor lass would give up. She only smokes about 5-8 a day but it's still a health risk. I still smoke a bit of Bob Hope like but I've cut down a lot. Just a few reefers at the weekend these days.

50489[/snapback]

50497[/snapback]

50499[/snapback]

On the plus side, at least she's still got her hair, eh?

50502[/snapback]

Seriously Peasepud, why do you do it? Does the dubious pleasure of cigarettes outweigh all the negatives - health/money/smelling bad? Are you smoking to get oune up against the sanctimonious twats, or because you are too addicted?

50465[/snapback]

when I was 16 I thought it was geet cool.

by the time I was 18, I was well and truly hooked, 20 Bensons a day, at 22 I gave it up and lasted for 8 years but it never leaves you. Nobody ever believes the story of how I started again but Im gonna tell it anyway just to show how addicitve the stuff is.

about 8 years after giving up and Im in ASDA, on the counter they had a pizza to try so I grabbed a bit and stuck it in me gob. Some minging bastid must have ran their nicotine covered hands over it (either that or it was a Bacon and Regal pizza) for 3 weeks solid all I could taste was tabs, had to fight the urge for months and then one day was in the kitchen and agreed to light a tab for me missus. Next thing I know Im puffing away and shes having to grab another for herself.

I want to stop and have tried a number of times since but each time end up going back and when I do I smoke more than ever. I've thought about patches however the tabs I smoke contain 0.1Mg of nicotine and the smallest patch is about 5Mg so by my reckoning Id have to smoke 50 tabs a day to get the same nicotine so I cant see how they'd work.

50290[/snapback]

Same tired old bollocks as well....allegedly

In fact, when you compare tobacco tax revenues with the alleged cost of health treatment, the former far outweighs the latter. In the UK, for example, tobacco tax revenue currently stands at £7 billion a year compared with the £1.5 billion it allegedly costs to tackle 'smoking-related' diseases. (Taxation revenue should of course be even higher - over £10 billion - but the Government has cleverly 'lost' £3 billion by over taxing tobacco and therefore encouraging smugglers and cross-Channel shoppers to buy the product abroad.)

http://www.forestonline.org/output/page22.asp

50290[/snapback]

Same tired old bollocks as well....allegedly

In fact, when you compare tobacco tax revenues with the alleged cost of health treatment, the former far outweighs the latter. In the UK, for example, tobacco tax revenue currently stands at £7 billion a year compared with the £1.5 billion it allegedly costs to tackle 'smoking-related' diseases. (Taxation revenue should of course be even higher - over £10 billion - but the Government has cleverly 'lost' £3 billion by over taxing tobacco and therefore encouraging smugglers and cross-Channel shoppers to buy the product abroad.)

http://www.forestonline.org/output/page22.asp

50866[/snapback]

Hardly an impartial source. For the record I wouldn't trust whar ASH says either.

Paesepud, give up man! You've done it before so you can do it again. If nicotine replacement isn't working, ask your doctor for bupropion - that may help. I'm not one to preach, but smoking really isn't worth dying young for.

Good mate of mine successfully stopped.

Another one takes some sort of pills which he says helps him to stay stopped..he stopped once, but went back.

My missus stopped, started again, now stopped again.

I never lecture anyone who smokes, although I would rather they didn't. I don't pretend I know how hard it must be to stop, because I don't.

PP...you have my sympathy if you are finding it difficult to stop smoking.

One of the best things I ever did, was not to start smoking, but in my teens my mates didn't either.