George Bests health

peasepud

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good.

49906[/snapback]

I take it your're very young Brock? How can you say good? you must be either a very unsympathetic person or just plain ignorant!

Yes he bought his illness on himself, he wasted his second chance which he was lucky to get, but he had a sickness, an addiction to alcohol which ruined his life. Do you think its easy to overcome that? Because i assure you its not, which is why millions of others experience the devastating effects of this addiction.

I couldnt say 'good' i dont want him to die, i feel really sorry for his family and those that care about him. It could be someone close to you, maybe you'd look on things alittle differently then.

I feel pity and sadness for him, and i try to remember what an incredibly talented footballer he was, one of the best of his time.

49953[/snapback]

I'm a combination of young and somewhat unsympathetic in this case.

I have lost a family member because they were an alchoholic, and whilst everyone was busy feeling sorry for everyone else I was wondering why the hell someone would throw their life away like that. If you have a problem, go get help at least it's a signal of intent/reform.

Best was a football legend but he's a complete arse, alcoholism or not, it's totally unacceptable to start drinking again right after his transplant. That liver could've gone to someone who would have treated it with respect and live out their life normally. Perhaps if he wasn't George Best the footballer he wouldn't have got the transplant?

For someone to be given a second chance which they didn't really deserve in the first place to throw it back like Best has done is completely unnacceptable in my book.

I take your point about what things must be like for his family as I've been there though so maybe I was a little blunt earlier. :icon_lol:

Twat.

;)

Last time I checked, alcoholism was considered a disease.

49951[/snapback]

or the product of a weak mind. same goes for drug addicts. sure il get a backlash for this but its just my personal opinion. no coincidence that 90percent of the drug addicts and alchos we get in at work are absolute retards who are harder to explain things too than most 10year old kids.

49951[/snapback]

or the product of a weak mind. same goes for drug addicts. sure il get a backlash for this but its just my personal opinion. no coincidence that 90percent of the drug addicts and alchos we get in at work are absolute retards who are harder to explain things too than most 10year old kids.

50177[/snapback]

You don't think it could be the drugs making them retarded?

Chicken and egg really. There's been plenty of brilliant alcoholics and drug addicts though in history.

could the weak minds be a byproduct of the addictions?

I agree that George Best has fucked his life up good and proper, but he should be remembered for his football and not the way he died, the liver could have gone to a better patient, no doubt about it.

possibly, but to be honest there arent too many brilliant minds floating around darlington

50182[/snapback]

Do you think people are born thicker in Darlington, or would you say it's more likely that poor education and lack of opportunities stagnates their minds?

I understand what you mean about weak minds, sometimes I feel that way too. I've not seen a convincing argument either way.

Ultimately though, I think it comes down to whether we want to be inclusive as a society, to help everyone as much as we can. How would you feel if you hadn't been given an education because it was felt you would hold the top 10/5/1% back?

49951[/snapback]

50177[/snapback]

According to the consultant looking after Mr. Best, it is a disease. I reckon he knows more about it than an A & E nurse. And that's not to denigrate nurses in general or yourself. Plenty people share your opinion though I'm sure.

Edited by alex

According to the consultant looking after Mr. Best, it is a disease. I'm reckon he knows more about it than an A & E nurse. And that's not to denigrate nurses in general or yourself. Plenty people share your opinion though I'm sure.

50193[/snapback]

Maybe but I met a bird at a party who was a heart surgeon. Claimed the Matrix 2 was the best movie ever made and when I enquired why she just kept making ninja noises and doing karate chops. I know it's only anecdotal but if I ever have heart problems I'm going to a mechanic!

EDIT: Actually every doctor I've ever met's been a lunatic!

Edited by DotBum

49951[/snapback]

50177[/snapback]

According to the consultant looking after Mr. Best, it is a disease. I reckon he knows more about it than an A & E nurse. And that's not to denigrate nurses in general or yourself. Plenty people share your opinion though I'm sure.

50193[/snapback]

aye but them BUPA people would tell you black is white if you pay them enough.

49951[/snapback]

50177[/snapback]

50193[/snapback]

aye but them BUPA people would tell you black is white if you pay them enough.

50203[/snapback]

You know that for a fact do you?

:o

This could have (and probably does) happened to anyone who's had a transplant. It's been brought on because of the tablets (imunosuppressants?) he has to take to prevent the liver being rejected.

Granted if he hadn't been an alcoholic then he wouldn't have needed the transplant.

According to the consultant looking after Mr. Best, it is a disease. I'm reckon he knows more about it than an A & E nurse. And that's not to denigrate nurses in general or yourself. Plenty people share your opinion though I'm sure.

50193[/snapback]

Maybe but I met a bird at a party who was a heart surgeon. Claimed the Matrix 2 was the best movie ever made and when I enquired why she just kept making ninja noises and doing karate chops. I know it's only anecdotal but if I ever have heart problems I'm going to a mechanic!

EDIT: Actually every doctor I've ever met's been a lunatic!

50196[/snapback]

This is true - Harold Shipman was one of the better adjusted ones apparently

This could have (and probably does) happened to anyone who's had a transplant. It's been brought on because of the tablets (imunosuppressants?) he has to take to prevent the liver being rejected.

Granted if he hadn't been an alcoholic then he wouldn't have needed the transplant.

50254[/snapback]

The alcohol was a contributing factor, undoubtedly. If you are constantly on the piss you are more susceptible to infections even if you are not taking immunosuppressants.

I know I'm a cunt about this, but I don't think he should've received his new liver due to his alcoholism. But at the same time, it pisses me off when I have to do PET scans on smokers with lung cancer that CONTINUE TO SMOKE! I also hate having to do cardiac scans on people that have had coronary artery bypass grafts that have continued to smoke and eat like shit.

Maybe I've started to become bitter and twisted about working in health care, but if you receive these life saving surgeries, especially those that get it all on the NHS, and then continue with the self-detructive behaviour then I have absolutely no sympathy and will just go through the motions when working with you.

49965[/snapback]

I think you are quite right, Steve.

It's unbelievable that people who smoke and drink should expect you to treat them when they get related problems. After all it's not like they've ever contributed to the health service is it?

If you are just going to go through the motions though it does seem a little a bit of a waste of your valuable time.

Maybe we could compromise? You give me back every penny of the taxation from my daily packet of fags for 35 years and my booze and then I'll go and get private treatment with the money. Sounds a good deal to me?

After you've repaid all us smokers & drinkers our extra taxation though don't be suprised if you don't have a job, or even a health service left.

I know I'm a cunt about this, but I don't think he should've received his new liver due to his alcoholism. But at the same time, it pisses me off when I have to do PET scans on smokers with lung cancer that CONTINUE TO SMOKE! I also hate having to do cardiac scans on people that have had coronary artery bypass grafts that have continued to smoke and eat like shit.

Maybe I've started to become bitter and twisted about working in health care, but if you receive these life saving surgeries, especially those that get it all on the NHS, and then continue with the self-detructive behaviour then I have absolutely no sympathy and will just go through the motions when working with you.

49965[/snapback]

It's unbelievable that people who smoke and drink should expect you to treat them when they get related problems. After all it's not like they've ever contributed to the health service is it?

If you are just going to go through the motions though it does seem a little a bit of a waste of your valuable time.

Maybe we could compromise? You give me back every penny of the taxation from my daily packet of fags for 35 years and my booze and then I'll go and get private treatment with the money. Sounds a good deal to me?

After you've repaid all us smokers & drinkers our extra taxation though don't be suprised if you don't have a job, or even a health service left.

50283[/snapback]

Tired old factually incorrect argument. All of the tax gathered from smokers will never cover the medical costs of treating same for smopking related diseases. Not taking into consideration the outlay for non smokers suffering from second hand smoke and the asthma treatments for children born to smoking parents. or the millions spent on premature baby clinics for babies born to drinking mothers.

I am glad the old c*nt is dying. he is a wife beating sh*t. or maybe that is a "disease" too.

P.S I dont think of alcoholism as a disease or you wouldn't be able to beat it without prescription medication like millions have in the past.

49965[/snapback]

50283[/snapback]

Tired old factually incorrect argument. All of the tax gathered from smokers will never cover the medical costs of treating same for smopking related diseases. Not taking into consideration the outlay for non smokers suffering from second hand smoke and the asthma treatments for children born to smoking parents. or the millions spent on premature baby clinics for babies born to drinking mothers.

I am glad the old c*nt is dying. he is a wife beating sh*t. or maybe that is a "disease" too.

P.S I dont think of alcoholism as a disease or you wouldn't be able to beat it without prescription medication like millions have in the past.

50290[/snapback]

The bit about prescription drugs is wrong like. I overcame the cold last week without taking paracetamol. I think that can be classified as a disease.

49965[/snapback]

50283[/snapback]

50290[/snapback]

The bit about prescription drugs is wrong like. I overcame the cold last week without taking paracetamol. I think that can be classified as a disease.

50291[/snapback]

I believe it is more of a viral infection.

50290[/snapback]

It would be nice to see some figures on that, if I was to take it literally then smoking does not cause all 'smoking related illnesses'.

I also don't see that it all comes down to money, we should only take out of the community exactly what we put into it?

If you think George Best should die for his sins that's one thing but does that extend to every smoker and drinker? As I said earlier, where do we draw the line, should you be left to die without treatment if you are involved in an accident whilst parachite jumping or if you're involved in a car accident driving 5 miles per hour over the speed limit?

50290[/snapback]

It would be nice to see some figures on that, if I was to take it literally then smoking does not cause all 'smoking related illnesses'.

I also don't see that it all comes down to money, we should only take out of the community exactly what we put into it?

If you think George Best should die for his sins that's one thing but does that extend to every smoker and drinker? As I said earlier, where do we draw the line, should you be left to die without treatment if you are involved in an accident whilst parachite jumping or if you're involved in a car accident driving 5 miles per hour over the speed limit?

50295[/snapback]

I wasnt saying that. I was replying to SCUM who was being high and mighty about the amount of money he pays in taxes on cigarettes.

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

50290[/snapback]

Enlighten me with the correct facts then, KCG.

How much tax gathered from smokers finds it way into NHS?

How much does it cost to treat smoking related diseases?

How much tax gathered from booze finds it's way to the NHS?

How much does it cost to treat alcohol related diseases?

I'll be happy to accept my arguments a 'tired old factually incorrect one' if you can furnish the true facts.

Aside from whether Alcoholism is an addiction or a politically correct disease, Best still decided not to meet the donor family - probably because he knew that he had no intention to jack the booze in

to put theis thing into perspective heres a news story no one has picked up on today. a genuine legend with a genuine illness. he gets my deserved sympathy.

Muhammad Ali appears to be losing his battle with Parkinson's Disease.

The 63-year-old Ali, who has suffered from the disease for many years, has begun to show signs of decline, his daughter Layla told The Los Angeles Times.

"I feel like the disease is progressing," she said. "Different things start happening as you get older. I have noticed a change in him, something that goes along with Parkinson's.

"It's painful for me because I would love to sit down and talk to my dad about the way he used to be when he was my age, when he was in his prime, because we are so much alike. I can't really do that. I can't share a lot of things with him."

At age 27, Layla is in her sixth year as a professional boxer and has compiled a 21-0 record with 18 knockouts. She says she wants to talk about boxing with the former three-time heavyweight champion.

However, Ali, once one of the most quotable athletes in sports, is now mostly silent.

"We don't talk about boxing," she told The Times. "He might come to a fight and say, 'You're bad.' But he was never one to talk much about boxing with us. That was not him. And he doesn't talk much these days anyway. It takes him too much energy to talk.

Layla, who lives in Los Angeles, said her father feels "like he's trapped inside his body. He can think. He has things he wants to say, but his lips sometimes just don't move to get it out," she said.

"He has his good days and his bad days. He's taking a lot of different medications. Sometimes, his speech is so slurred, you can't hardly understand him. But he definitely knows what's going on. That's for sure. He sees everything."

How does her famous father spend his time?

"He's just taking life easy," she told The Times. "He likes doing simple things. He loves to draw, he likes to color, he likes to clip pictures out of magazines. And he likes to do magic tricks. It doesn't take a whole lot to keep him entertained. But his attention span is very short when the subject is something more than that."

ps. i wonder how long before someone on here blames him for his parkinsons because he new the dangers boxing carried :o