World Cup bids for 2018 and 2022

dbsweeney

@Oz: Don't try to play semantics with me. You've been arguing this entire time that Qatar doesn't deserve to host the World Cup, even if you never typed out that exact sentence. Obviously you think someone else deserves it more or you wouldn't be kicking up a fuss in the first place.

Far from semantics. Deserve is an emotive word, my arguments for the absurdity of the decision is grounded in logic pure and simple. You don't come across as stupid or ignorant, but here you're being nothing but.

The 'point' is meaningless. Is this the UN or the World Cup? Would you like me to fetch you a list of countries that've hosted the World Cup and their human rights violations? Colombia was slated to host the '86 World Cup, do you think that means FIFA was endorsing the cocaine trade? South Africa is notorious for crime, rape and human trafficking, does that mean that FIFA was endorsing those things? Football is football is football. This is supposed to be the game that brings everyone together.

:lol: Colombia didn't host the '86 world cup so that 'point' is meaningless, there is a big difference between high crime areas and holding it in a country where some may be excluded from the tournament. You preaching how we should accept this country is fucking laughable they are some of the least accepting people on earth, plus it's a country of 1.7m it's smaller than Manchester it's so fucking insignificant the only reason this World cup is being hosted there is bribery. More worthy bids were turned down in favor of this utter joke of a bid they want to hold it in January imagine how shit either the tournament or the leagues would be during that time.

Also Kevin aye I am pissed off about the England bid because we were stitched up and everyone knows it.

I just got done saying that Qatar had nothing 12 years ago and was a desert 24 years ago. They're building cities? Of course they're building cities, they have a country that's essentially a blank slate and unlimited money. They have something imaginatively named Education City now, which is just a built-from-the-ground-up nexus for all the divisions of various universities around the world that build their outposts in Qatar.

This is a place where a lot can change in a very short time. Their laws are modernising, their country is growing, their infrastructure is improving. They fancy themselves as the "other Dubai" - in other words, a rich people's playground. Not where I would've chosen to have the first Middle Eastern world cup, but there's many worse choices.

The only people who can have a justifiable complaint about this, imo, are the Aussies. People trying to suggest the USA has better football culture than the Middle East are having a laugh (and they had it in '94 anyway and it didn't change shit in this country), South Korea and Japan were never going to work for obvious reasons. Australia probably would've been a good pick but the time zone issue will have cost them. Nevertheless I expect they'll get it at some point in the future and I wish them well, it'll do the world some good for Australia to have the world cup, just the same as it'll do the world some good for Qatar to have it.

You're a fuckin idiot. Do one. This post to me is like what the Satanic Verses was to your parents. You ignorant cunt.

Better an ignorant cunt than a drunk one, you utter, utter wanker. Have a good look at yourself when you wake up tomorrow lad. :razz:

Right I've had a good look at myself, my green eyes are a bit red, but you are still an idiot. I'm all for people having opinions but yours is ridiculous. You're sat in America with no concept of the world game saying what a good thing it is for this non-event country to host a World Cup.

"The only people who can have a justifiable complaint about this, imo, are the Aussies."

You must be taking the piss? What about the fans and players who have to play in a climate more suitable for camels than professional athletes? That is ignorant.

"People trying to suggest the USA has better football culture than the Middle East are having a laugh (and they had it in '94 anyway and it didn't change shit in this country), South Korea and Japan were never going to work for obvious reasons."

Remind me the last time a Middle Eastern country made it to the World Cup Quarter Finals, and regularly gets out of the group in the finals. America's biggest participation sport in terms of kids is football up to the age of 18, and eventually it will grow to rival the other yank sports. They have a history of producing top players now, and they have a league which far outstrips anything in the middle east. I ask you again tell me the last time a middle East country had a good World Cup. The best WC I remember a middle east country having was Egypt in 1990 and I think they scored one goal. Football culture my arse.

"just the same as it'll do the world some good for Qatar to have it"

How?????????? How?? Explain this ridiculous remark.

"This is a place where a lot can change in a very short time. Their laws are modernising, their country is growing, their infrastructure is improving. They fancy themselves as the "other Dubai" - in other words, a rich people's playground."

and? I don't actually think you have a point, "yeah it's a good thing them getting it", why???? Just be honest to say it's because a muslim country has it. Like I say Egypt aye, Turkey aye, a country no cunt can point to on the map cos a. it's too small and b. no cunt knows where it is anyway. Mate do one.

Firstly, you're a racist tosser and you've never been anything but and everyone knows it. I just want that on the record. The admins on this board may consistently turn a blind eye to your ways but that doesn't change the reality that you have on this occasion and so many others displayed your racist tendencies.

Now to actually address your post. I don't give a shit about whether or not it's a Muslim country, but thanks for your totally baseless insinuations. I care because it will be held in the Middle East and I think the "world game" and indeed the world could do with that. You agree that it's a good idea to have the WC in a Middle Eastern country and you suggest Egypt and Turkey as alternatives. Well, Egypt got exactly zero votes for the 2006 World Cup and there's a reason for that. Of course the football culture there is very strong (I don't know what Ken is talking about - he must be referring to Persian Gulf football specifically when he talks about Middle Eastern football) but the infrastructure isn't and the place is obscenely corrupt. Nobody would be happier than me to have the WC in Egypt, but it just isn't a good host at this stage (and the heat that you and others keep complaining about is no better in Egypt, take it from me.)

As for Turkey, they aren't even really in the Middle East geographically and are only considered by some to be Middle Eastern because of cultural links. They play in the European federation and they want to join the EU. How are they supposed to represent the Middle East? Turkey would be a fantastic place to hold the World Cup, in my opinion, but they don't suit our purposes.

Is there any other country you think would be more suitable to represent the Middle East? Maybe Saudi? I think they've got enough people to meet your standards? No? Well, the UAE, Bahrain and Kuwait are all extremely similar to Qatar which you take issue with, Oman is stuck in 1950, and Yemen is a war-torn shithole. So, I guess the Gulf is out. Lebanon's a little too small and poor, Jordan is so undeveloped that it may as well not exist except for Amman...maybe Syria? Iraq? Iran? All sounding like terrible choices?

So I guess it's Qatar then. Or we could have it in Israel? :icon_lol:

Now let's talk about why Qatar should have beat the USA. A climate more suitable for camels? How hot do you think it was in Pasadena in '94 in the so-vaunted country you wanted the WC sent back to? Climate really isn't an issue here, I'm sick of hearing about it, a major part of Qatar's presentation was about how they would mitigate the effects of the heat. If you think they don't have the money and desire to make that happen, you're just dead wrong, so I don't know what to tell you.

You make a big deal out of me living here, all right, well let me tell you that football in this country is a sideshow and always has been and always will be. It's on the rise among young people, and that's good. But to say they merit the World Cup AGAIN is just outright wrong. It took Brazil (don't think anyone will argue they don't have a "football culture") 64 years to get it again and England is still waiting. Those are just two examples. As for your remark about the quarter finals, the USA only made it that far when it was held in America. South Korea made it to the semis when it was held there. Does that mean that since the USA are more deserving of the WC than Qatar because their national side is better, then South Korea are more deserving of it than the USA? Ludicrous.

Football is THE sport in Qatar, the same as it's THE sport in the rest of the Middle East. Just because they aren't any good at it doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered a legitimate staging ground for the World Cup of the world game.

Well I want it on the record that you're a fuckin total clueless nob. Just for the record there. I would love to know where any racial slurs or anything remotely racist are in my posts. I deliberately keep away from talking about other faiths these days to avoid people mixing criticisms with racism. So please show me what is racist, even Renton who often has jumped on me wouldn't say anythings racist you absolute twat.

If you're saying it's racist that my assertion is you support this bid because it's in a muslim country then you don't understand the meaning of racist. THE ONLY reason you support it is the competition is in Islamic lands. I didn't even say that was a bad thing, but it's the only logical explanation for you wanting it there. How is my making that comment racist you fuckin stupid cunt.

Everyone else has shown you up in this thread, this is FIFA's worst hour and you still haven't given a reason for why it's a good thing other than "ah the middle east hasn't had one". I guarantee there is more passion for football in Thailand and Indonesia than there is in the middle east, they haven't had one neither, and are more deserving that Qatar, and so are Malta. This sums it up and exposes your totally deluded views well and reiterates all of what I've said about it a few pages ago...

The 'point' is meaningless. Is this the UN or the World Cup? Would you like me to fetch you a list of countries that've hosted the World Cup and their human rights violations? Colombia was slated to host the '86 World Cup, do you think that means FIFA was endorsing the cocaine trade? South Africa is notorious for crime, rape and human trafficking, does that mean that FIFA was endorsing those things? Football is football is football. This is supposed to be the game that brings everyone together.

:lol: Colombia didn't host the '86 world cup so that 'point' is meaningless, there is a big difference between high crime areas and holding it in a country where some may be excluded from the tournament. You preaching how we should accept this country is fucking laughable they are some of the least accepting people on earth, plus it's a country of 1.7m it's smaller than Manchester it's so fucking insignificant the only reason this World cup is being hosted there is bribery. More worthy bids were turned down in favor of this utter joke of a bid they want to hold it in January imagine how shit either the tournament or the leagues would be during that time.

Also Kevin aye I am pissed off about the England bid because we were stitched up and everyone knows it.

Beckenbauer saying the Qatar WC should be played in January. Shouldn't that have been considered before they got the thing?

it was but they never bothered to read the report...................

If we were going to hold the competition in the Middle East we should have gone for one of the countries that are keen

Algeria, Egypt or Iran would do

Rob's geographical brilliance coming to the fore again...

If we were going to hold the competition in the Middle East we should have gone for one of the countries that are keen

Egypt as well. :lol: They probably should've got the African one as they have as good a tradition of football as anyone on the continent. Was a done deal South Africa were going to get it. Anywhere round there would be a challenge in terms of hosting a tournament in June/July though.

Egypt as well. :lol:They probably should've got the African one as they have as good a tradition of football as anyone on the continent. Was a done deal South Africa were going to get it. Anywhere round there would be a challenge in terms of hosting a tournament in June/July though.

Totally, I'd even support an Egyptian bid as I mentioned a few pages ago. Zamalek v Al Ahly stops an entire country, and it seemed about 30,000 Egyptians went to Wembley for their game here, I believe it's a proper football country.

On a side note, technically Egypt is in Asia and Africa.

When I went to Sharm El Sheik I was in Asia, When I went to Cairo for the day it was Africa. Weird.

I'm aware of that but I don't think they'll be playing all the games on the Sinai peninsular. That and the fact they're in the African Federation :lol:

As someone who has been wrongly accused of being racist on many occasions, does anyone else share ATP's assertion that I have said something racist within this thread?

When I went to Sharm El Sheik I was in Asia, When I went to Cairo for the day it was Africa. Weird.

I'm aware of that but I don't think they'll be playing all the games on the Sinai peninsular. That and the fact they're in the African Federation :lol:

Good googling Alex. :icon_lol:

Edited by Holden McGroin

As someone who has been wrongly accused of being racist on many occasions, does anyone else share ATP's assertion that I have said something racist within this thread?

Some sausage munchers might take exception to being called Krauts. :lol:

But no, the entire subtext to this argument is skirting around religion, not race.

Qatar has some serious liberalising to do before 2022 unless it wants teetotal, heterosexual, misogynist anti-Semites as it's sole audience.

.…in fucking January.

But no, the entire subtext to this argument is skirting around religion, not race.

Qatar has some serious liberalising to do before 2022 unless it wants teetotal, heterosexual, misogynist anti-Semites as it's sole audience.

.…in fucking January.

Yes because I want him to admit the only reason he supports it is because it's in a muslim country and he feels they should have one after all these years. That's all I want him to admit. I'm not even saying that view is a bad reason as well.

Knew it from RE tbh.

.…in fucking January.

Yes because I want him to admit the only reason he supports it is because it's in a muslim country and he feels they should have one after all these years. That's all I want him to admit. I'm not even saying that view is a bad reason as well.

And following that reasoning, Turkey is by far the best prepared Muslim country to host a WC.

But Qatar?

.…in fucking January.

And following that reasoning, Turkey is by far the best prepared Muslim country to host a WC.

But Qatar?

Turkey would have to bid as a European nation though, which wouldn't help them. Doubt they have the money to chuck at the bid either.

And yes, HM, I know most of it lies in Asia :icon_lol:

Knew it from RE tbh.

"Jesus XI 0-1 Romans. "

I was thinking more Moses like.

Once read a book called The Sinai Tapestry which had the premise that the Bible was originally written by an imbecile scribe based on the ramblings of a mad blind man. Not bad, as it goes.

Good post that Stevie. The fact is it's a terrible decision and now with this whole January nonsense it seems they didn't put masses of foresight into the more technical aspects. Like Stevie and others have mentioned there are plenty of countries who've never had one and have contributed waaaay more to world football, you have to contribute at least something to demand something back and just saying it's their number one sport isn't a valid reason it's the number one in the majority of countries. Having it in Qatar means nowt to the rest of the middle east, a lot of Muslim hardliners in the region will probably find it insulting and there is a lot of one upmanship in the region like someone has already mentioned and Qatar will be more than happy to rub it in their neighbors faces.

Oh and for what it's worth Stevie nowt you said in there can be deemed racist it's just an easy out in an argument like this.