Cristiano Ronaldo in tunnel bust-up at Newcastle

Cristiano Ronaldo in tunnel bust-up at Newcastle

Cristiano Ronaldo was embroiled in a furious bust-up in the St James' Park tunnel with Newcastle United defender Steven Taylor midway through Manchester United's 2-1 victory on Tyneside on Wednesday night.

By Rob Stewart

Last Updated: 12:16AM GMT 05 Mar 2009

In an extraordinary spat as United restored their seven-point lead at the Premier League summit, the pair traded insults at half-time just moments after the United forward had been left writhing in agony, clutching his face on the cinder track, following an intemperate challenge by the England Under-21 captain.

According to witnesses, Ronaldo and Taylor were involved in a war of words as they headed to their respective dressing-rooms which saw the World Player of the Year allegedly ridicule his opponent's footballing skill.

Taylor hit back by branding the Portuguese international "ugly" as temperatures rose before Ronaldo's team-mate, Rio Ferdinand, and referee Steve Bennett, intervened.

The fracas occurred shortly after Ferdinand was booked by Bennett for his furious reaction to Taylor's challenge on Ronaldo. Newcastle's caretaker manager, Chris Hughton, defended his player. "Steven's not a malicious type of player," he said. "He's a player of high energy and enthusiasm and that's what we expect from his play.

"Ronaldo was going past Steven and it was probably a bit headstrong of Steven but in his endeavours to pull him back he caught him on the shoulder and I think that's all it was. I have had the opportunity to seen it again on television. Anybody that would have looked at the incident again would have seen where it made contact and he made contact on the top of his shoulder and his neck."

Hughton said that he did not know if any United players had been enraged by Taylor's challenge on Ronaldo in which he used his hands and feet.

Hughton did, however, speak with Taylor in an attempt to avoid having him sent off as he had been booked by Bennett. "The only word that we had with Steven was the same as we would have with anyone that had been booked in the first half," Hughton said. "That's that they have to be careful because they are only one booking away from a red card."

Newcastle are just one point above the relegation zone and were also the subject of reports of a training ground altercation between team-mates Andy Carroll and Shola Ameobi.

:icon_lol:

Could clearly see on the replay that Taylor didn't touch Ronaldo's face, which is what the diving bitch was clutching as he writhed around on the ground in fake agony in an attempt to get Taylor sent off.

By my account Ronaldo's play acting is much worse than Taylor's foul. Does sound like Ronaldo had a fair point though, if what he said in the tunnel is to be believed. :icon_lol:

TBF I would of wanted Ronaldo to do us a favour and break Taylors neck!

At least a ankle injury after Beye gets back.

Hope Butt loses his place now as well. How Did Smith get on anyone?

Shite, he must still think he plays for Man Ure the amount of times he gave them the ball back!

Shite, he must still think he plays for Man Ure the amount of times he gave them the ball back!

So better than Butt? :icon_lol:

Nooooooo, I would of had Butt in, Smith is the biggest waste of money EVER!

Nooooooo, I would of had Butt in, Smith is the biggest waste of money EVER!

Completely agree. I can't think of a worse signing.

I reckon he'd chin Taylor anyway. He's a complete fanny. As is C. Ronaldo like.

Edited by alex

The pair of them are completely embarassing in many ways. Taylors foul was moronic and could have got him sent off and Ronaldo's face clutching cheating was also a joke. They then follow it up with childish insults like a pair of little kids, what a pair of complete tarts!

If only Beye hadn't been injured we could have been so much better off!

How thick can two people be? :superman2sa2: Ronaldo's was better than Taylor's, I suppose.

To be fair, they were both factually correct. Taylor is shit and Ronaldo is ugly.