Milner or Jonas.

Park Life

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anyone want a player who only gives you goals and assists when you can have someone who holds the ball up, creates space, goes past people, etc, etc? No brainer. :superman2sa2:

People always use Milner's stats from last year when they say he wasn't effective for us (still better than Gutierrez so far though), and use the poorness of the rest of the team (which confusingly some still claim is picked from the best squad we've had in many years thanks to little Den) as an excuse for Gutierrez. Look at Milner's stats in 06-07 though - 4 goals, 11 assists (3 & 8 in the league) - this is with a forward line for the most part consisting of Martins (new to the league) & Sibierski, and with a team decimated by injuries for the whole of the first half of the season. Milner's scored more goals this season than Gutierrez has in his whole European career (since 2005). What Milner brings to the team pisses all over the contribution Gutierrez gives to our position in the league table. There's no doubt in my mind we'd have more points on the board now if we'd kept Milner & never heard of Gutierrez, and that at the end of the day is what matters.

Why would anyone want a player who only gives you goals and assists when you can have someone who holds the ball up, creates space, goes past people, etc, etc? No brainer. :superman2sa2:

People always use Milner's stats from last year when they say he wasn't effective for us (still better than Gutierrez so far though), and use the poorness of the rest of the team (which confusingly some still claim is picked from the best squad we've had in many years thanks to little Den) as an excuse for Gutierrez. Look at Milner's stats in 06-07 though - 4 goals, 11 assists (3 & 8 in the league) - this is with a forward line for the most part consisting of Martins (new to the league) & Sibierski, and with a team decimated by injuries for the whole of the first half of the season. Milner's scored more goals this season than Gutierrez has in his whole European career (since 2005). What Milner brings to the team pisses all over the contribution Gutierrez gives to our position in the league table. There's no doubt in my mind we'd have more points on the board now if we'd kept Milner & never heard of Gutierrez, and that at the end of the day is what matters.

Those stats aint bad at all for Milner.

• 2 weeks later...

Jonas was shite tonight alright.

Communication problems, and an inability to cross shown again. No composure at all when shooting, no wonder he can't friggin' score. Effort was still there though. Better used when Enrique overlaps to put a ball in, seeing as Enrique can actually hit a cross with some power and movement.

Communication problems, and an inability to cross shown again. No composure at all when shooting, no wonder he can't friggin' score. Effort was still there though. Better used when Enrique overlaps to put a ball in, seeing as Enrique can actually hit a cross with some power and movement.

Don't really see any point playing him as a winger.

He's good at beating his man and is usually good at maintaining possession. If he gets behind his man we need to have strikers attacking the front post. Then they'll be in with a chance of being on the end of his weak crosses. He's better in open field, but when you have Nicky Butt, Geremi and Alan Smith is your midfield there's no such thing as an fast break/counter.

Had a shit game, but I still have him in my side.

He's good at beating his man and is usually good at maintaining possession. If he gets behind his man we need to have strikers attacking the front post. Then they'll be in with a chance of being on the end of his weak crosses. He's better in open field, but when you have Nicky Butt, Geremi and Alan Smith is your midfield there's no such thing as an fast break/counter.

Had a shit game, but I still have him in my side.

Gets in the side be default. There have been one or two games where he shows something and he has very good close ball skills. But no idea what he really contributes apart from tackling back and the odd exchange with Ricky.

The annoying thing with Jonas is that he literally can't shoot, he's not just bad or snatches at chances, he physically can't get any power behind it for some reason. He can go past people though and he regularly gets fouled so i wish he'd get inthe box more and try and get a penalty or two for us, because he can't pull the trigger himself.

The shooting thing wouldn't have mattered in Spain where he was getting 20+ assists, but obviously we haven't seen that from him so it is a bit worrying.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

He can't shoot like. Should have had him on the right today with them having Kilbane at fullback there to be got at.

Can't cross, run fast or pass either.

His crossing isn't good (although I still say it would be better if he was playing on the right) but he is faster than pretty much all of the rest of our squad and his passing better than the vast majority of them to.

From what I say (ie the second half) he didn't have a good game at all today but that doesn't change the fact that he's the only competition to Bassong as our best player this season (admittedly there is no competition left in the squad).

He can't shoot like. Should have had him on the right today with them having Kilbane at fullback there to be got at.

His crossing isn't good (although I still say it would be better if he was playing on the right) but he is faster than pretty much all of the rest of our squad and his passing better than the vast majority of them to.

From what I say (ie the second half) he didn't have a good game at all today but that doesn't change the fact that he's the only competition to Bassong as our best player this season (admittedly there is no competition left in the squad).

The voice of reason there, as usual. Basically, he'd be in your starting XI :lol:

The voice of reason there, as usual. Basically, he'd be in your starting XI :lol:

Well lets face it there's no competition. I admit he's disapointed somewhat after a really exciting start but given the circumstances I think he (and to a much larger extent Bassong) deserves a lot credit for coming into this mess and managing to produce anything at all!

• 3 weeks later...
ALAN Shearer believes a rejuvenated Jonás Gutiérrez will be vital if Newcastle United are going to stay in the Premier League as he urged the Argentina international to remember how to hurt teams.

Having watched the vast majority of Newcastle’s games this season, new Magpies manager Shearer has seen Gutiérrez ’s form dip over the last few weeks – but he knows the winger remains the most potent creative force in the side.

With that in mind, Shearer has already spoken to the former Real Mallorca star at length to remind him he is at his most dangerous when he is playing in the opposition’s half.

Gutiérrez has earned plenty of admiration this season with his impressive work ethic, but Shearer feels he has to focus more on worrying opposition defenders than helping his own.

He said: “Jonas will definitely be crucial. He has a crucial part to play, but we need him to get further up the pitch and hurt teams in their half. I don’t think anyone works harder than he does, but I want to get him nearer the opposition’s penalty area so that he is creating things for us going forward.

“He has the ability to really hurt teams and we want to see him doing it regularly. It’s about getting him higher up the pitch so that when he gets the ball, he is in a position to attack the defence.

“He definitely has something about him. He also defends very well for a wide player, but I’ve told him I want him to be moving forwards more.”

Having spent all season worrying about Newcastle’s slide down the table as a BBC television pundit, Shearer now has the chance to do something about it.

But, unlike most new managers at a club, Shearer knows plenty about the strengths and weaknesses of the team, as well as the individual players whose ability has not been reflected in results this season.

He explained: “I’m excited, really, really excited. This is probably different to anything I’ve done before and it is a new chapter for me. I can not tell you how

much I have enjoyed the last couple of days and I’m really looking forward to the first game.

“It helps that I’ve made a point of always watching Newcastle United games this season so I know about the players.

“If I haven’t watched the games on a live television feed I’ve been at St James’s Park to watch them from the stands.

“Obviously when you’ve been able to see a team regularly it helps you as a new manager. It also helps that I’ve watched so many other Premier League games this season working for the BBC.

“I’ve been fortunate in that respect coming into the job.”

Shearer’s confidence in the talent at his disposal was not forced during his first Press conference and the former Magpies skipper feels the only thing lacking in the camp is confidence.

That is a fault he can try to remedy when they take on Chelsea today, but he also knows the fans and the atmosphere they can generate at St James’s Park is potentially the difference between Premier League safety and the Championship.

He added: “The fans are going to be very important for us, not just at home but at away games. I know how great our away support can be as well.

“The fans can really make a difference for us, there is absolutely no doubt about that. I’m sure they will not let us down.”

ALAN Shearer believes a rejuvenated Jonás Gutiérrez will be vital if Newcastle United are going to stay in the Premier League as he urged the Argentina international to remember how to hurt teams.

Having watched the vast majority of Newcastle’s games this season, new Magpies manager Shearer has seen Gutiérrez ’s form dip over the last few weeks – but he knows the winger remains the most potent creative force in the side.

With that in mind, Shearer has already spoken to the former Real Mallorca star at length to remind him he is at his most dangerous when he is playing in the opposition’s half.

Gutiérrez has earned plenty of admiration this season with his impressive work ethic, but Shearer feels he has to focus more on worrying opposition defenders than helping his own.

He said: “Jonas will definitely be crucial. He has a crucial part to play, but we need him to get further up the pitch and hurt teams in their half. I don’t think anyone works harder than he does, but I want to get him nearer the opposition’s penalty area so that he is creating things for us going forward.

“He has the ability to really hurt teams and we want to see him doing it regularly. It’s about getting him higher up the pitch so that when he gets the ball, he is in a position to attack the defence.

He definitely has something about him. He also defends very well for a wide player, but I’ve told him I want him to be moving forwards more.”

Having spent all season worrying about Newcastle’s slide down the table as a BBC television pundit, Shearer now has the chance to do something about it.

But, unlike most new managers at a club, Shearer knows plenty about the strengths and weaknesses of the team, as well as the individual players whose ability has not been reflected in results this season.

He explained: “I’m excited, really, really excited. This is probably different to anything I’ve done before and it is a new chapter for me. I can not tell you how

much I have enjoyed the last couple of days and I’m really looking forward to the first game.

“It helps that I’ve made a point of always watching Newcastle United games this season so I know about the players.

“If I haven’t watched the games on a live television feed I’ve been at St James’s Park to watch them from the stands.

“Obviously when you’ve been able to see a team regularly it helps you as a new manager. It also helps that I’ve watched so many other Premier League games this season working for the BBC.

“I’ve been fortunate in that respect coming into the job.”

Shearer’s confidence in the talent at his disposal was not forced during his first Press conference and the former Magpies skipper feels the only thing lacking in the camp is confidence.

That is a fault he can try to remedy when they take on Chelsea today, but he also knows the fans and the atmosphere they can generate at St James’s Park is potentially the difference between Premier League safety and the Championship.

He added: “The fans are going to be very important for us, not just at home but at away games. I know how great our away support can be as well.

“The fans can really make a difference for us, there is absolutely no doubt about that. I’m sure they will not let us down.”

"But what the fuck it is, Im not quite sure", added the big man christmas tree :lol:

FYP twat.