You have £8k

Chaser

Depends what you want/need. You could get a nice coupe like a Celica, Mazda MX-3 V6 or Hyundai Coupe. Or something solid and sensible but still good to drive like a Golf Gti, Seat Leon or Focus Zetec. Or how about a well-speced Skoda Octavia Turbo diesel (don't laugh, Volkswagen build quality and engineering at a knockdown price).

Better to have a Celica than a new MR2? Some good choices (aside from the metro - deathtraps but i know how it is motoring on a budget im still doing it now)

Oh and sorry Lou, you have to spend the money.

Volvo is a bit old for my tastes as is the Octavia. Leon is a good call.

What about convertibles? Im no hairdresser but theres some nice models out there which are reasonably priced.

Drove a new Mini Cooper and was impressed with its handling. Stretches budget to £9k tho

Bah. I don't like you and your rules.

Hang on - am I allowed to buy a car with this £8k we have agreed that you're giving me... and then sell it on again, and reap the rewards?

Or do you have some annoying small print clause for that too?

Better to have a Celica than a new MR2? Some good choices (aside from the metro - deathtraps but i know how it is motoring on a budget im still doing it now)

Oh and sorry Lou, you have to spend the money.

Volvo is a bit old for my tastes as is the Octavia. Leon is a good call.

What about convertibles? Im no hairdresser but theres some nice models out there which are reasonably priced.

Drove a new Mini Cooper and was impressed with its handling. Stretches budget to £9k tho

48976[/snapback]

You'll not go wrong with an MX-5 as long as two seats and a small boot don't bother you.

What about an old-model Megane convertible or a 206 CC with a folding tin-top?

nice big second hand 4Litre Jeep Wrangler, thankyouverymuch

48977[/snapback]

Have you got another 8 grand set aside for your fuel bills?

48980[/snapback]

didn't say I was gonna drive it, just have it sit on my driveway and look tastey!

Lou - if you can do anything with £8k of monopoly money then be my guest :nufc:

Its the fuel bills which are crippling me (which doesnt help me when ive looked at Convertibles and new Mini's) Ive got a 1.8 Rover at the moment and my commute is 50miles round trip. Apparently MX5s only give about 30mpg and Minis arent much higher at around 33mpg (despite what official figures suggest). Mine currently returns around 34mpg which isnt too cheap when im doing 300 miles a week.

24yr old with a smokey diesel doesnt appeal but ive already got a motorbike and i need to find some place of my own in the next year. bah i need to win some money

If economy is what you're after bite the bullet and get a Fabia diesel (the 1.4TDi, only 75bhp but plenty of torque so quite pokey and 60+mpg).

Its a former WhatCar? magazine car of the year and has a/c, cd, pas, and front airbags as standard.

You've still got your bike for weekend thrills.

celicas are'nt all that good on fuel, they take a heavy foot to get them going quick aswell.

mx5 is a good choice but again expensive.

Id probably go for a turbo diesel leon if I wanted to be sensible, if not then a celica 140, will cost about the same to run as your current car but you can have lots of fun in them too.

Convertible option would be the new mr2, very girly though

Edited by k4t0

Its the fuel bills which are crippling me (which doesnt help me when ive looked at Convertibles and new Mini's) Ive got a 1.8 Rover at the moment and my commute is 50miles round trip. Apparently MX5s only give about 30mpg and Minis arent much higher at around 33mpg (despite what official figures suggest). Mine currently returns around 34mpg which isnt too cheap when im doing 300 miles a week.

24yr old with a smokey diesel doesnt appeal but ive already got a motorbike and i need to find some place of my own in the next year. bah i need to win some money

48991[/snapback]

Passat TDI, get a beauty for that kind of money without losing the performance side of things. Wor lasses fatha's got one, it's an estate and believe me it shifts for a big motor but it's not bad on the juice either.

48991[/snapback]

Passat TDI, get a beauty for that kind of money without losing the performance side of things. Wor lasses fatha's got one, it's an estate and believe me it shifts for a big motor but it's not bad on the juice either.

49021[/snapback]

The Focus 1.8 TDi is also a very very nice car, handles like a hatchback but has the power under the bonnet to induce frequent trouser changing. Best car I've ever driven, it's also very easy to muck about with the aesthetics of it, change a light cluster or cheap allows makes it look a far more elastic-snapper of a car.

love the gear change in it as well

One of my clients is Toyota and if you want something that goes well and gives great fuel economy then you really can't go past the Prius. Around the city they use 5.5l/100km. The current model will give a lot of other a fright of the line but after looking at autotrader I see they are about 15k there!!!

What about a Lexus IS200? Good vehicle, in your price range. The economy will be about the same as what you have but performance is better.

If I was in the UK I'd be in for an Audi, they cost a bomb here but build quality and spec wise they are great value in England - an A3 quattro or S4, bloody hell you can even get a tt for that.

Edited by sammynb