Engine Room

Deano

Butt never hides. He just hasn't got the legs any more.

Butt is shit, simple as that.

KD you talk some shit like...Nolan 4th choice? Hahahaha honestly you couldnt make it up

Nolan and Guthrie to run the season in....Nolan and Barton to start next season, unless we get a real gem of a creative midfielder then id let Barton go.

Butt like Geremi and Cacapa should be NOWHERE near the 1st team unless its an emergency. I have NO faith in any of them three.

KD you talk some shit like...Nolan 4th choice? Hahahaha honestly you couldnt make it up

Nolan and Guthrie to run the season in....Nolan and Barton to start next season, unless we get a real gem of a creative midfielder then id let Barton go.

Butt like Geremi and Cacapa should be NOWHERE near the 1st team unless its an emergency. I have NO faith in any of them three.

Its like a pot calling a kettle "a pot" :lol:

However, GL is right to say that Butt should be ahead of Nolan. Butt has proven himself to be below average for most of the season (i'm mincing my words here), whilst Nolan has had 2 OK games against pretty shite midfield opposition. Nolan is unlikely to be a world beater, but is yet to blot his copybook to the level Nicky Butt has (to be fair, Butt's copybook is probably all blotted ink and no paper by now) and deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I think considering our dire midfield when fit, and the fact that we're missing barton makes it even more dire, Nolan was a decent signing for the money and position our club is in. I wouldn't have had him 2 seasons ago, but things have gone backwards since then

Also, the only play Nicky breaks up is ours

I wasn't saying Butt isn't shit. You missed Steven Taylor off your list btw.

I was agreeing with you alex, more so aimed at KD.

NNN i dont talk shite tho mate, i just have a contrasting opinion to others! :lol::lol:

NNN i dont talk shite tho mate, i just have a contrasting opinion to others! :lol::wub:

52,386 others, tbh :lol:

Edited by Neville Neville Neville

they needed another set of legs over there to compensate for both of them going missing for around 60 minutes...

While I have doubts about Guthrie's engine (and his ability to a lesser extent) the lad doesn't go hiding. I think you're being very unfair to suggest he does because he's very often been the only midfielder who'll take responsibility by looking for the ball and trying difficult passes when the team are struggling and everyone else has gone hiding.

and in this lies our problem. yes he takes resposibility, but no he can't do it himself because he can't run around all game collecting awful mis-hit passes from our centrebacks and butt/ a.n. other. once that happens he gets put under pressure and gets tired because of that. Nolan is a good player but is more effective further up the pitch. the balance (if they are together in the sae team as our central midfield partnership) seems wrong. thats all i'm saying.

Edited by canofbeans

NNN i dont talk shite tho mate, i just have a contrasting opinion to others! :lol::lol:

I havent got the time or effort to post some of the horrendous stream of shite you have posted in the last 4 weeks alone man. Youre one of the new breed of superfan that has taken over this board with no actual clue about football and what constitutes a good player and a bad player. You hear a bloke in the pub say Butt is shit and then it suddenly gospel. Yeah hes dropped a few clangers, no more than Collocini or any of the other players. Actually watch him in the next few games and you will see that 1- he doesnt go missing and 2- he wins more balls than anyone else in the team.

The term engine room wasnt used on here til we signed Nolan :lol: Its a nice way of saying our CM has no skill but is fit enough to run around for 90mins

exactly - we don't want another Energizer Bunny but someone with skill, vision and foresight

The term engine room wasnt used on here til we signed Nolan :lol: Its a nice way of saying our CM has no skill but is fit enough to run around for 90mins

exactly - we don't want another Energizer Bunny but someone with skill, vision and foresight

:lol: Joe Kinnear to return from the hospital bed as cente mid/captain/manager

:lol: Joe Kinnear to return from the hospital bed as cente mid/captain/manager

aa wez thinkin' of Dennis Wize me'sel like

they needed another set of legs over there to compensate for both of them going missing for around 60 minutes...

While I have doubts about Guthrie's engine (and his ability to a lesser extent) the lad doesn't go hiding. I think you're being very unfair to suggest he does because he's very often been the only midfielder who'll take responsibility by looking for the ball and trying difficult passes when the team are struggling and everyone else has gone hiding.

and in this lies our problem. yes he takes resposibility, but no he can't do it himself because he can't run around all game collecting awful mis-hit passes from our centrebacks and butt/ a.n. other. once that happens he gets put under pressure and gets tired because of that. Nolan is a good player but is more effective further up the pitch. the balance (if they are together in the sae team as our central midfield partnership) seems wrong. thats all i'm saying.

We had our wires crossed I think. I wouldn't argue with that.

I dread to think how many years it is now that us fans have been bemoaning the complete lack of class in the "engine room" yet nothing has changed. Its such an important part of any team as well, they always say winning teams are built from the back but look at the best teams and usually there is class and authority in the centre,

Butt is finished and has been for some time, he's too slow, concedes way too many stupid freekicks and pens and his passing is at times woeful. Though his attitude and commitment can never be faulted and in a fight like we're in you still wouldn't rule him out having a big part to play. Strangely he has taken over freekicks recently and to be fair to him, they haven't been bad, but i'd expect Ryan Taylor to be stepping up to take them now.

But if he starts next season we may as well give up, he'll be another year older!

Guthrie just seems to disappear from games, i don't know why as i don't have a problem with his attitude either, he just doesn't have much influence alot of the time. He's young though and hopefully still has soemthing to offer.

At the level we are/will be a fully fit Barton will be one of the two starters and i'd like to see what he can do with an unbroken run in the team.

Nolan i'll judge many games down the line, i always like to give players a good chance before making any assessment, but i think at best he'll be solid if unspectacular.

As for Geremi, he can barely move at times and when he does its to float a frekick to the keeper or waste a corner! Shame as in flashes he has shown in his time here he can set up goals with intelligent passing and good set pieces, which makes the large number of shit ones all the more annoying!

Also reserving judgement on Nolan. Butt is well and truly on the decline, but we could do worse than to have his experience around the club. In all reality I would have him behind Nolan, Barton and Guthrie in the stakes for a centre mid-position if all are fit. The problem with these three players is that they are in many ways quite similar. None of them are particularly good on the ball, and none are particularly impressive passers of the ball. These are two things we've been lacking in our midfield:

(i) Ability to hold onto the ball

(ii) Ability to create goals through quality passing

Hopefully this will improve once we're able to play two players together for a decent length of time. As it is they have not really had the chance to form any sort of partnership.