Other games

Park Life

TBH it would all be a load of bollocks if the Bojan goal wasn't harshly ruled out for hand ball (or he scored the header.)

Would Guardiola be master tactician then? He threw Pique up front. Goal. Bojan for IBra. Goal.

Edited by Holden McGroin

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The usual superb breakdown of the game here :

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/04/28/bar...urinho-tactics/

As is customary when a good ‘footballing’ side struggle against a good defensive side, Barcelona were accused of having no ‘Plan B’ by the (British) commentary team. Aside from the obvious sheer hypocrisy that stems from simultaneously criticizing Barcelona in this respect whilst marvelling at their patience that proved victorious against Chelsea last season, this somewhat misses the point. In the final half hour, playing exclusively through small, quick, tricky players (a front four of Jeffren, Pedro, Messi and Bojan) was Barcelona’s plan B. Their plan A had been playing through Ibrahimovic – they’d created a good chance in the first half by simply lofting towards him in the box, where his knock-down found Pedro.

We then come back to the idea that, as proposed in the preview, Guardiola surely should have played it the other way around – the small, tricky players to start the game and wear Inter down, then Ibrahimovic to come on and provide a more direct threat late on. Certainly, when you’re withdrawing your 6′ forward for a 5′7 winger – and then shoving your 6′ centre-back upfront to compensate, you’ve probably got muddled somewhere, ignoring the sheer brilliance of Pique’s goal.

In Inverting The Pyramid, Jonathan Wilson explains how Arrigo Sacchi once demonstrated in a training session how five organised players could hold out against ten disorganised ones – taking his Milan back five of Galli, Tassotti, Costacurta, Baresi and Maldini and pitching them against the club’s best ten attacking players. The 15-minute game finished scoreless, despite the attacking talents of the likes of Gullit, van Basten, Rijkaard, Ancelotti and Donadoni. This game was a match version of that. Barcelona completed 555 passes compared to Inter’s 67, and produced the most dominant display of possession in European competition this year, 86%. And yet, for all that – how many times did they actually get the ball into serious goalscoring positions?

...awesome.

If Pedro and Jeffren are rubbish that doesn't help either. :razz:

Ibrahimovic hasn't played well in a big game in his life, he's a mug. Same as Totti. Fantastic for Mourinho, he is THE tactical genius of our time and how close we were to getting him in 2002. I hope Inter win, they're much too good for the Italian league, and are a great side largely because there's no Italians (who are all shite all of them, especially Totti, and that pathetic De Rossi) in their side. We could beat Bayern over two legs. What was that shit Barca keeper doing with Mourinho, telling him to pipe down celebrating :razz: that's the arrogance of them, Inter go through when many think they're out, Mourinho's biggest achievement since he left Porto, and they expect him to pipe down. Fuck Barcelona, I'd love us to repeat a 1997 one day. Arrogant tools.

ignoring the Ibrahimovic stuff

just...no

TBH it would all be a load of bollocks if the Bojan goal wasn't harshly ruled out for hand ball (or he scored the header.)

Would Guardiola be master tactician then? He threw Pique up front. Goal. Bojan for IBra. Goal.

good point

I loved Piques goal btw, brilliantly taken

good point

I loved Piques goal btw, brilliantly taken

Aye, fabulous. Sent the defender and the keeper for the Sunday paper.

Guest Barrack Road
Ibrahimovic hasn't played well in a big game in his life, he's a mug. Same as Totti. Fantastic for Mourinho, he is THE tactical genius of our time and how close we were to getting him in 2002. I hope Inter win, they're much too good for the Italian league, and are a great side largely because there's no Italians (who are all shite all of them, especially Totti, and that pathetic De Rossi) in their side. We could beat Bayern over two legs. What was that shit Barca keeper doing with Mourinho, telling him to pipe down celebrating :razz: that's the arrogance of them, Inter go through when many think they're out, Mourinho's biggest achievement since he left Porto, and they expect him to pipe down. Fuck Barcelona, I'd love us to repeat a 1997 one day. Arrogant tools.

ignoring the Ibrahimovic stuff

just...no

He is a very poor keeper in my view for a club as big as that. They've always had keepers below their level, Hesp, Vitor Baia, that Turk was a disaster too iirc. Valdes is home grown granted but so what he's shit, never capped by Spain, granted Casillas is good, but I don't think so much that Valdes is an average keeper I think you can definitively say he's wank.

Oh dear

Had never rated Valdes and although I've not watched any La Liga this year and everyone says he's been in great form, so I may well be talking out of my arse, he never fills me with confidence between the sticks. I think Barca could do significantly better. It'd be like us keeping Harper because he's a Geordie (maybe) when we could have Buffon.

Thats a home team decision if I ever saw one

hand coming out, not looking, you see it all the time, just trying to hold off the player

booking at worst for me, I wouldn't have squezed busquets neck after that, I'd have fucking lamped him

Just had a flick through the match text on the BBC site. Seems Motta had already been booked in the 10th minute so it's plausible to suggest this should have been his second yellow of the night.

I emphasise 'should' as the referee did indeed only show a red - it wasn't preceeded by a yellow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8645184.stm

Thats a home team decision if I ever saw one

hand coming out, not looking, you see it all the time, just trying to hold off the player

booking at worst for me, I wouldn't have squezed busquets neck after that, I'd have fucking lamped him

Just had a flick through the match text on the BBC site. Seems Motta had already been booked in the 10th minute so it's plausible to suggest this should have been his second yellow of the night.

I emphasise 'should' as the referee did indeed only show a red - it wasn't preceeded by a yellow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8645184.stm

I found that out after the fact as well, i could see it being given as a second yellow but like you say he gave it as a straight red

I have Fulham on at the moment on ITV.4

As much as I do want Fulham to win the Fulham botting from the ITV lads can be annoying and sometimes just doesn't make sense.

''In their one hundred and four year history Fulham have always been...just Fulham''

err right now tell me about those special european nights at Anfield and that night in Barcelona. etc etc

Watching the Liverpool game, really hoping for Atletico to win. The dippers could do with learning some humility

Wouldn't you prefer them to get to the final and get their arse kicked by 'lowly' Fulham? :razz:

Watching the Liverpool game, really hoping for Atletico to win. The dippers could do with learning some humility

Wouldn't you prefer them to get to the final and get their arse kicked by 'lowly' Fulham? :razz:

As heart warming as that would be, they'd insist the final itself was an achievement. I want them to go out and go out as early as possible.

That's the exact thing people said about us when we got relegated.

Wouldn't you prefer them to get to the final and get their arse kicked by 'lowly' Fulham? :D

As heart warming as that would be, they'd insist the final itself was an achievement. I want them to go out and go out as early as possible.

On the contrary, even if they win it they'll insist it's been a failure. God given right to win the CL remember :razz: