Albin Ebondo

Ketsbaia

Right back apparently :rolleyes: Will be useful for about 8 weeks and will then spend the next 2 years warming the bench for Beye before taking a huff and handing in a transfer request

So you're whinging because we're getting cover for RB, fucking hell. :(

Right back apparently :( Will be useful for about 8 weeks and will then spend the next 2 years warming the bench for Beye before taking a huff and handing in a transfer request

Better than Steven FUCKING Taylor

Right back apparently :rolleyes: Will be useful for about 8 weeks and will then spend the next 2 years warming the bench for Beye before taking a huff and handing in a transfer request

Yeah, we got £8mil apparently and weve spent half of that on a RB when we currently have Beye, Edgar, Taylor and Geremi who can play there. LB, RW and CM are far more pressing areas

Gives us options, I haven't seen Colocinni play in central midfield but he is apparently a good defensive midfielder so we could move Beye into the centre and Colo into Butts position.

Beye is not a CB. He is one man's dream RB and thoust shall he stay.

Gives us options, I haven't seen Colocinni play in central midfield but he is apparently a good defensive midfielder so we could move Beye into the centre and Colo into Butts position.

I heard that on the radio a while ago. Remains to be seen, though.

Yeah, we got £8mil apparently and weve spent half of that on a RB when we currently have Beye, Edgar, Taylor and Geremi who can play there. LB, RW and CM are far more pressing areas

Three of the players you've mentioned are barely Premiership standard. No side can go through a season with only one quality player in a particular position.

Fact of the matter is we shouldn't be in the situation were we should have to scrimp and scrape to get semi decent players in. We should be able to find the cash so we can invest the the areas you've mentioned.

Beye is not a CB. He is one man's dream RB and thoust shall he stay.

Played there quite a bit for Marseille didn't he? Certainly think he has good attributes to play there if needed.

Apparently we will talk to City after Wednesday regarding Given, Harper will/has signed & Portsmouth are back in for Barton.

From some ITK Doyle on 365

Edited*

Where do you get £4m as a figure for this lad? It's early and I might have missed it but as far as I can see no amount is mentioned in this piece. Also why is right wing (Jonas is about the only player we have worth watching) and Leftback more of a priority? I agree a central midfielder has to be our priorty but I don't get the others. Or are you just talking shite as usual?

NEWCASTLE United hope to complete their second signing of the January transfer window with Toulouse right-back Albin Ebondo expected on Tyneside today to discuss personal terms.

With the Magpies also close to finalising a fee for a central midfielder, thought to be Rennes’ Stephane Mbia, manager Joe Kinnear is finally starting to get somewhere in the transfer market after weeks of frustrating delays and knock backs.

A Newcastle delegation was in France over the weekend to thrash out a deal with Toulouse for Ebando, and a fee of around £3.5m is believed to have been agreed yesterday for a player who has made more than 80 appearances for Ligue 1’s surprise packages.

That should allow the 24-year-old, who has been talked about as a future France international this season, to fly to Tyneside in the next 48 hours. There is even a chance the promising full-back will be a Newcastle player in time to make his debut against Manchester City on Wednesday night. Although Ebondo is not well known in England, he has plenty of admirers in France and, as Habib Beye will be out for at least another 10 weeks with the knee injury he suffered against Wigan Athletic on Boxing Day, the signing of the Marseille-born defender would be a significant breakthrough for Kinnear.

“A team from Newcastle has been over there talking to the club and the player and we’re confident he’ll be here on Monday,” said Kinnear, who may, however, also have to brace himself for some bad news regarding Shay Given’s future at Newcastle today.

“We will work right until the final minute of the final day of the window to bring in the players we want. We are working around the clock to get the players we need but it’s not an easy time of the year to do business and it’s been hard work.

“But I do feel as though we are getting somewhere and if I can bring in the two players we’re close to agreeing deals for then I’ll be feeling a lot happier about the state of the squad.

“I identified Albin Ebondo when I went to see Toulouse play a few weeks ago and he will be an excellent player for us, I’m confident about that. Hopefully he’ll be here on Monday and in training with the rest of the squad straight after that.”

Kinnear continued: “With Habib Beye still on crutches and likely to be out of action for at least another couple of months we desperately need a right-back.

“We’ve asked Steven Taylor to play there in the last few games and he’s been struggling with a calf problem and has needed pain-killing injections just to get out on to the pitch. That’s not been fair on him or us.

“People haven’t fully appreciated the plight we’re in. We’re getting on with things the best we can and the new players will give us a lift.” Kinnear also insisted he was not allowing himself to become too despondent about the team’s poor recent results, which have left them just above the relegation places.

He said: “We were second from bottom when I came here and I said it was going to be tough then. I didn’t realise we were going to have to cope with so many injuries and that has really hurt us, but we are in a better position than we were in September and I’m not a doom and gloom merchant.

“Other people can throw stones at us and criticise me, but it won’t get me down. There is a lot of pressure in this part of the world, but we will get on with the job we have to do and that’s keeping Newcastle United in the Premier League.”

Meanwhile, the Magpies are also in talks with Celtic regarding the possible transfer of Hoops captain Stephen McManus. The 26-year-old is keen to leave Scottish football following a deterioration in his relationship with Celtic fans, who have blamed him for the Glasgow club’s recent slump in form.

When they were initially approached by Newcastle earlier this month, Celtic enquired about the possibility of a swap deal involving Magpies full-back José Enríque, but the current SPL leaders ended their interest in the former Spain Under-21 international when they discovered that he earns more than £40,000 a week on Tyneside.

However, that does not mean the deal for McManus is dead with sources in Scotland last night indicating a bid of just £3m would probably be enough to bring the centre-back south of the border.

.com are saying that

There's also talk from JFK of a response being expected on a previous bid for a midfielder but the situation isn't clear at present as to whether that and Ebondo depend upon the cash for Given. It's also unclear whether there's any attempt to bring in a player from City - either in part/ex or on loan for the rest of the season.

Ashley is a disgrace if that's true. Not even prepared to spend a single penny on transfers by the looks of it. And what happened to the Milner money?

.com are saying that

There's also talk from JFK of a response being expected on a previous bid for a midfielder but the situation isn't clear at present as to whether that and Ebondo depend upon the cash for Given. It's also unclear whether there's any attempt to bring in a player from City - either in part/ex or on loan for the rest of the season.

Ashley is a disgrace if that's true. Not even prepared to spend a single penny on transfers by the looks of it. And what happened to the Milner money?

I think the Milner money went in some way to offset the £17.8M spent on Coloccini, Xisco and Guthrie (plus whatever we end up paying for Jonas which is still up in the air).

Where do you get £4m as a figure for this lad? It's early and I might have missed it but as far as I can see no amount is mentioned in this piece. Also why is right wing (Jonas is about the only player we have worth watching) and Leftback more of a priority? I agree a central midfielder has to be our priorty but I don't get the others. Or are you just talking shite as usual?

Cos JFK publicly announced he had bid £4mil for him :lol RW is a priority because if Jonas gets injured we have to play Duff there, and he cant even play on the LW in his current state! As for LB, if charlie wangles himself a move then Enrique is the only LB in the squad. As I mentioned previously, we currently have 4 players who can play RB, 1 of which who is arguably the best player at the club, so forgive me if im dubious at us spending half of our apparent budget on another RB

As I mentioned previously, we currently have 4 players who can play RB

We currently have no players who are available to play right back who can actually play it well.

I get your point though, but we need cover there for the rest of the season. It doesn't matter how good Beye is, if he's out injured he's not going to help us avoid relegation. He's also getting on in years, so it's only logical that we have some forward thinking there. We're horribly short on for fullbacks, who knows, maybe this bloke can also play on the left.