Redundancies

Tooj

Happy Face can i complain you to you about faulty Laptop/Desktop Hardware? :D

Afraid not. That's why HP bought us. They never had an Applications Delivery arm so rather than try and build one, they bought an existing profitable one. Hardware sales are down across the board, so buying EDS is the one thing that's kept their profits on the up.

What I'm saying is I can design an application for you but I can't install a printer.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.. I think multinationals like that always "embrace" a recession as an excuse to take the piss out of staff.

I've never understood why capitalists love to cut jobs for "efficiency" - we have a staff freeze on at the moment which just means people want to leave more leading to more pressure on those who stay - theres no way it can improve profits.

They'll always use it as opportunity to clear out the overpaid deadwood. There's a voluntary scheme that runs alongside it and they knock back anyone that applies to take redundancy who's cheap enough and good enough to add value.

It does add pressure to those that are left....but they were still hiring grads fresh out of uni at the start of the year.

Edited by Happy Face

Afraid not. That's why HP bought us. They never had an Applications Delivery arm so rather than try and build one, they bought an existing profitable one. Hardware sales are down across the board, so buying EDS is the one thing that's kept their profits on the up.

What I'm saying is I can design an application for you but I can't install a printer.

I currently work for a pretty big company that uses HP hardware and we are not allowed to buy anything at the moment so that won't be helping you. :D

Hmm.. I think multinationals like that always "embrace" a recession as an excuse to take the piss out of staff.

I've never understood why capitalists love to cut jobs for "efficiency" - we have a staff freeze on at the moment which just means people want to leave more leading to more pressure on those who stay - theres no way it can improve profits.

They'll always use it as opportunity to clear out the overpaid deadwood. There's a voluntary scheme that runs alongside it and they knock back anyone that applies to take redundancy who's cheap enough and good enough to add value.

It does add pressure to those that are left....but they were still hiring grads fresh out of uni at the start of the year.

Reading that back, you could call it the Mike Ashley template....except for the "good enough" bit of course.

Anyway, best do some work.

I currently work for a pretty big company that uses HP hardware and we are not allowed to buy anything at the moment so that won't be helping you. :D

I think that's another reason they bought EDS, we used to use Dell hardware. Now we've switched to HP they've got themself another customer.

Just bought out 3com too. I wonder if it's a similar story there.

My immediate superior is trying to get me switched to shift work to cover a bloke that's moving elsewhere but is coming into resistance because of the extra costs. I'm dead keen but I know I couldn't do it for long. Any one else do shift work, how do you find it?

The reason I'm so keen is it's a 30% pay hike!

I've done 7am-3pm rather than 9-5 but thats the limit - never done full-on shifts.

I quite liked getting done and dusted by 3 - leaves more of the day.

One of the things that's currently pissing me off is that a third party company who did a DW for us went tits up last year so since then I've had to be available for phone/dial-in support either 2 or 3 nights per week until 8 - usually nowt happens and theres no call but it can still limit plans occasionally.

I'm used to working shifts.

Been working 7-3 the last month or two its quite good.

I miss traffic both in and out of work.

However the 10-6 shift is boring as fuck in the afternoon and towards the end of the week when there is nothing to do.

Hated normal working hours. Stuck in traffic.

Well we announced £350m profits, changed our logo at the cost of millions, two weeks later we are cutting 15% of the workforce.

Luckily (I am almost certain) I wont be affected.

It boils my piss though. We changed the logo and they spent a fortune on business cards for everyone even down to the fucking receptionists who dont use them!

Fuck helping him, HF - what about getting us (me in particular) a HP laptop with your company discount???? :D

Fuck helping him, HF - what about getting us (me in particular) a HP laptop with your company discount???? :icon_lol:

I've never even looked at what I can get now. Before we transferred i always found the discounts on offer from EDS could be bettered in stores anyway.

Are these good deals....

» NEW! HP HDX X18-1320EA Premium Notebook PC

• Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

• Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P8700, 2.53 Ghz

• 4096 MB

• 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 7200 rpm

• 18.4" Diagonal High Definition HP Ultra Brightview Infinity Display

• Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer

• Bluetooth® wireless

WAS £1499 - Now £1167

Save £332 with this offer!

» NEW!HP Pavilion dv7-2215sa Entertainment Notebook PC (VJ220EA)

• Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

• Intel® Pentium® DualCore Mobile Processor T4300, 2.1 GHz

• 4096 MB (2 x 2048 MB)

• 17.3” Diagonal High Definition HP LED Brightview Display

• Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Writer (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support

WAS £629 - Now £512

Save £117 with this offer!

:D

Fuck helping him, HF - what about getting us (me in particular) a HP laptop with your company discount???? :icon_lol:

I've never even looked at what I can get now. Before we transferred i always found the discounts on offer from EDS could be bettered in stores anyway.

Are these good deals....

» NEW! HP HDX X18-1320EA Premium Notebook PC

• Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

• Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor P8700, 2.53 Ghz

• 4096 MB

• 18.4" Diagonal High Definition HP Ultra Brightview Infinity Display

• Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer

• Bluetooth® wireless

WAS £1499 - Now £1167

Save £332 with this offer!

» NEW!HP Pavilion dv7-2215sa Entertainment Notebook PC (VJ220EA)

• Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

• Intel® Pentium® DualCore Mobile Processor T4300, 2.1 GHz

• 4096 MB (2 x 2048 MB)

• 17.3” Diagonal High Definition HP LED Brightview Display

• Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Writer (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support

WAS £629 - Now £512

Save £117 with this offer!

:D

Cheapest I can find them online is £100 more for the first one and £30 more for the second, so if you are in the market, I might be able to help you out. :puke:

Following on from my earlier posts, Q4 results are just out and we reported a $3.4billion profit in the last quarter. A Billion more than expected. 18% profit growth.

At the same time we announced a pay freeze for the fourth year running. and further compulsory redundancies.

I therefore voted Yes/Yes in the strike ballot that followed.

greedy bastards!

My immediate superior is trying to get me switched to shift work to cover a bloke that's moving elsewhere but is coming into resistance because of the extra costs. I'm dead keen but I know I couldn't do it for long. Any one else do shift work, how do you find it?

The reason I'm so keen is it's a 30% pay hike!

Boss then aye? :razz:

I was having a chat with someone from work today and between us we came up with some interesting stories that are making me wonder about redundancy laws. I was always under the impression that it was a position that had to be made redundant rather than a person - so if a position is deemed unnecessary, and someone is made redundant because of that, what can companies do about putting a new person in that position?

Why I ask is that earlier in the year (around April/May) the company I work for made a few redundancies and terminations of temporary contracts. A receptionist (who had a bit of an attitude) was made redundant but sometime later (I'm not sure exactly when) another receptionist was brought in. In May a guy was made redundant (generally a guy not many people liked) and six weeks later he was replaced by the friend of someone fairly senior, despite this new person having no experience at all. Last month one of the marketing girls was made redundant and now we have a new 'marketing assistant' in the office. It seems a little bit like the company is using the word redundancy to get rid of a few unwanted people. Is this allowed?

(And also, what's the benefit to a company of making someone redundant rather than sacking them if their contract says it can be terminated with one month's notice {as most seem to say}?)

Shift work is wank, give me 9-5 any day.

Hardly! I work 3 long days a week. Get the majority of weekends, mondays and fridays off. Ive worked 9-5 and I learned to hate Sunday nights, could never do owt on a week night and was fucked if I needed to go to the post office for anything. Youre obviously a boring fuck who craves routine

I was having a chat with someone from work today and between us we came up with some interesting stories that are making me wonder about redundancy laws. I was always under the impression that it was a position that had to be made redundant rather than a person - so if a position is deemed unnecessary, and someone is made redundant because of that, what can companies do about putting a new person in that position?

Why I ask is that earlier in the year (around April/May) the company I work for made a few redundancies and terminations of temporary contracts. A receptionist (who had a bit of an attitude) was made redundant but sometime later (I'm not sure exactly when) another receptionist was brought in. In May a guy was made redundant (generally a guy not many people liked) and six weeks later he was replaced by the friend of someone fairly senior, despite this new person having no experience at all. Last month one of the marketing girls was made redundant and now we have a new 'marketing assistant' in the office. It seems a little bit like the company is using the word redundancy to get rid of a few unwanted people. Is this allowed?

(And also, what's the benefit to a company of making someone redundant rather than sacking them if their contract says it can be terminated with one month's notice {as most seem to say}?)

That is the case but employers get around it by changing the job title so a receptionist becomes "General Affairs Clerk" or something like that.

Sackings have to have a just cause - even "he was shit at the job" isn't good enough as in law that's your fault for not training them - so if you close the job then it's less hassle even if it may seemingly cost more.

• 1 month later...

My pre-employment clearances have just come back from the NHS Business Services Authority. Start my job with them on the 8th February. Absolutely ecstatic, three years of hard work has finally paid off and I am at last where I want to be. ;)