Clough named Rams boss

KingKev

Brian Clough's son Nigel takes charge at Derby.

What do you actually think of Brian Clough? Yes, he was a Sunderland player, but what he has achieved with Forest and Derby deserves a lot of respect.

We'll see whether his son is able to repeat these miracles at Pride Park... :(

Taking two provincial clubs from nowhere to the league title and winning back-to-back European Cups with one of them is a feat that'll probably never be repeated.

In the man's own words: "I certainly wouldn't say I’m the best manager in the business. But I'm in the top one."

Taking two provincial clubs from nowhere to the league title and winning back-to-back European Cups with one of them is a feat that'll probably never be repeated.

In the man's own words: "I certainly wouldn't say I’m the best manager in the business. But I'm in the top one."

''When I go, God's going to have to give up his favourite chair.''

:(

A complete legend in my opinion, certainly not sure his approach would work today at all, but you can't look at his achievements at Derby and Forest without giving him total respect, ok he ballsed up at Brighton and Leeds but his successes cannot be ignored, including his goal record as a player which was world class.

The books "The Dammed UTD" and "Provided you don't kiss me" are must reads for any football fan.

I don't know how accurate the book "The Damned United" was but it is a great read. It tells the story of Clough's 44 days at Leeds, but it does this in the narrative by telling the story of him at Derby County in parrallel. If you want to know what football was like in the 70s I'd thoroughly reccommend it. Looking forward to the film later this year.

I always thought Nigel wouldnt be daft enough to take a job at Derby or Forest, but after it was announced tonight I realised that he's more than likely a Derby County fan, as the family home was there. Good luck to him.

A complete legend in my opinion, certainly not sure his approach would work today at all.

True. He wasn't one for tactics or worrying about what the opposition were doing. Todays namby-pamby millionaire probably wouldn't know how to take him either. I think Peter Taylor should probably get a bigger mention in the pages of history than he does too.

Agree about those books too.

A complete legend in my opinion, certainly not sure his approach would work today at all.

True. He wasn't one for tactics or worrying about what the opposition were doing. Todays namby-pamby millionaire probably wouldn't know how to take him either. I think Peter Taylor should probably get a bigger mention in the pages of history than he does too.

Totally agree, if you look at the times where Clough failed it was when he was without Taylor, they were a footballing double act and one was weaker without the other.

A complete legend in my opinion, certainly not sure his approach would work today at all, but you can't look at his achievements at Derby and Forest without giving him total respect, ok he ballsed up at Brighton and Leeds but his successes cannot be ignored, including his goal record as a player which was world class.

The books "The Dammed UTD" and "Provided you don't kiss me" are must reads for any football fan.

I started to read ''The Damned United'' a few days ago, and it's a fascinating insight into Cloughie's mind. The most mentioned words probably are ''bloody'' and ''fucking'' :(

His autobiography ''Walking on water'' should be somewhere in my house as well, but I've not managed to read it yet.

Is ''Provided you don't kiss me'' only about his reign at Forest or his whole managing career?

Totally agree, if you look at the times where Clough failed it was when he was without Taylor, they were a footballing double act and one was weaker without the other.

Have you read "With Clough by Taylor" Jimbo?

Remember that book, but that was written by Taylor decades ago, wasn't it, when they still were at Forest?

Is ''Provided you don't kiss me'' only about his reign at Forest or his whole managing career?

Forest. It's written by the journalist from the Nottingham Evening Post who shadowed him for about twenty years. Duncan Hamilton I think he's called.

Well, I'll have a look at Amazon, thanks.

Edited by KingKev

Remember that book, but that was written by Taylor decades ago, wasn't it, when they still were at Forest?

Yes, Taylor wrote it in the early eighties without discussing it with Clough. That led to the bitter split between them.

Don't think its in print anymore, I'd like to pick it up from a jumble sale or something as it goes for about £30-£40 second hand on Amazon.

No I haven't, but I would like to, according to Hamilton in "provided you don't kiss me" that book was one of the reasons Clough and Taylor fell out.

Should have been made England manager in 1978 instead of Greenwood IMO but the shite-laddened FA would never accept him. Cunts.

Second rate footballer.

First rate manager

Excelled in being a total arsehole.

Never saw him play but that seems pretty harsh. His goalscoring record was absolutely exceptional by any standards.

Also, it's often overlooked but he took Derby to the semis of the European Cup and they were knocked out by Juventus under dodgy circumstances.

don't kno what mackem bloke was saying , but he was a great player according to anyone in the know. great goalscorer.

as for management he consistently punched above his weight with the exception of leeds, where player power ruined their chance for staying as a top level force in the old division 1. they faded soon afterwards.

should have been england manager in the late 70's and early 80's.

Looking forward to the film later this year.

When is it released?

Am I right in thinking Michael Sheen, the guy who played Blair and Frost, is playing Clough in the film?

At the end of March. And yes, Sheen is playing Clough. http://www.britfilms.tv/index.php?id=5694

The film has already been criticised by Clough's family, but it's still something you shouldn't miss.

don't kno what mackem bloke was saying , but he was a great player according to anyone in the know. great goalscorer.

as for management he consistently punched above his weight with the exception of leeds, where player power ruined their chance for staying as a top level force in the old division 1. they faded soon afterwards.

Well, he never really had a chance of succeeding at Leeds. He did hate Don Revie, Don Revie did hate him, the players loved Don Revie, and they started to hate Clough. He should not have taken that job, his biggest mistake of his career.

Well, he never really had a chance of succeeding at Leeds. He did hate Don Revie, Don Revie did hate him, the players loved Don Revie, and they started to hate Clough. He should not have taken that job, his biggest mistake of his career.

Apparently he got an absolute fortune out of it (by the standards back then anyway) so it wasn't all bad.

Apparently he got an absolute fortune out of it (by the standards back then anyway) so it wasn't all bad.

£125 grand pay-off and a Mercedes for 44 days. Not bad work if you can get it. Wonder what that would be worth in todays terms?