antivirus 2009

zico martin

Well I think my wife has pressed something and now i cant view any websites without being told that they are blocked by antivirus 2009. I currently use avast which seems ok and more importantly free but my registration has expired and I cant update it. I did a scan of my hard drive with avast and it said nothing was found whereas this microsoft thingy said it found hundreds and i should pay to get them removed. any advice guys?

Antivirus 2009 is a trojan/spyware program IIRC.

You will need to download a couple of programs to clean your system. There are loads people will recommend, but I use Ad-aware and Spybot

Chances are, you'll need to download these using a different PC, because those sites will be blocked by Antivirus 2009 (becase they can remove it). When you download Spybot, also download the separate updates file. Chances are, AV2009 wont let you update Spybot either.

My sister in law's PC got hit by the same thing I think and that was what I had to do to sort it. Took an age too, mind you; her PC is a proper relic (the CPU in my sons Leapfrog toy is probably faster, and he's only 1).

With a bit of time and perseverance you'll be ok.

Oh, and buy a decent antivirus they aren't mega bucks. I use NOD32 by Eset because it has the smallest memory footprint (read: doesn't really slow your PC down) and is really highly rated. It only costs £20-£25/year (less if you pay for 2 or 3 years).

And FF3, noscript and ad-blocker plus.

(send all IE icons to the recycle bin :icon_lol: - antivirus 2009 is generally spread by infecting through website Internet Explorer security vulnerabilities, so if you're using FireFox and those addons you're cutting down on your chances of reinfection massively)

Edited by Fop