Sandwichgate

Scottish Mag

GRAEME SOUNESS was a prime suspect last night after a butty battle erupted in Newcastle’s dressing room following their defeat at Wigan.

A tray of sandwiches was angrily kicked into the air — leaving the changing-area walls splattered with egg, ham and cheese and chutney.

Toon boss Souey steered clear of criticising ref Phil Dowd but it is clear he was furious over two bread-and-butter decisions.

The Geordies lost 1-0 as Dowd and his assistant failed to spot a header from Magpies striker Alan Shearer had crossed the line.

Coincidentally, Dowd — who also turned down a penalty appeal — features alongside Liverpool’s Harry Kewell in a framed picture in the dressing room.

And, according to sources at the JJB Stadium, Dowd’s picture was a target for much of the grub — which was later cleaned up by Wigan’s trainees.

The sound and the fury inside the Toon dressing room during the sarnie barny was the main talking point for stadium stewards who were in the tunnel after the game.

Newcastle refused to comment yesterday but a Wigan spokesman revealed: “A tray of sandwiches did find its way on to the floor.”

But he added: “That is nothing unusual in a Premiership dressing room — and I’m sure Paul Jewell couldn’t guarantee it never happening in our dressing room.

“There was no damage to any property or the dressing room.

“We will not be taking the matter further because there is no matter to take further.

“It has been described to me as ‘Sandwichgate’ and a ‘buffet bloodbath’ — which is amusing but highly inaccurate.

“We simply cleaned up the dressing room as we do after every game — and that was that.

“Newcastle were courteous to all the staff at the JJB Stadium on Saturday.

“And Graeme Souness behaved like a gentleman to all our staff, as did the rest of his staff and players.”

Souey’s crusty mood will not have been improved yesterday by Dowd’s admission that Shearer’s goal SHOULD have stood.

The official — using his loaf — admitted: “It was unfortunate.

“You hope to get things right and it’s frustrating for the referee and everybody if it looks like it isn’t right.

“Until technology comes in, this will keep happening, I suppose.”

No crumb of comfort there . . .

Newcastle’s only other visit to Wigan was for an FA Cup replay in 1954 — when they refused to use the dressing rooms at the humble Springfield Park ground.

Instead, they changed at Wigan’s nearby public baths before travelling to the game by coach.

You can rule out Shola. He'd have mebbes thought about kicking it up in the air but then decided he probably wouldn't get to it in time so didn't actually bother......

You can rule out Shola.  He'd have mebbes thought about kicking it up in the air but then decided he probably wouldn't get to it in time so didn't actually bother......

46961[/snapback]

and faye can only pass backwards 5 yards, so that rules him out.

Maybe if Bowd was in the room we could scatch Shearer from the list aswell because there was no way it crossed the line.

Wait and see who's mysteriously gained a hamstring injury - then we can point the finger :yes

46965[/snapback]

Well that'll narrow it down to.... ooooooo.... most of the squad!

Edited by catmag

Wait and see who's mysteriously gained a hamstring injury - then we can point the finger :yes

46965[/snapback]

Well that'll narrow it down to.... ooooooo.... most of the squad!

46966[/snapback]

I was meaning since the Wigan game - most of the squad already have them! :nufc:

I wanted to start this post this morning and i was gonna call it :

The 'Url of Sandwich

I should be in journalism tbh.

46968[/snapback]

Or advertising :yes

The 'Url of Sandwich

46968[/snapback]

46974[/snapback]

I'm telling you, i'm wasted otherwise :nufc:

Might get one of you lot to write me a recommendation that i can take to Greggs, from what i can gather, some of you are regulars...

The 'Url of Sandwich

46968[/snapback]

46974[/snapback]

Might get one of you lot to write me a recommendation that i can take to Greggs, from what i can gather, some of you are regulars...

46981[/snapback]

Gemmill, he's talkin about you I think.

46981[/snapback]

46982[/snapback]

Or Paddy K.

The 'Url of Sandwich

46968[/snapback]

46974[/snapback]

46981[/snapback]

46982[/snapback]

:blush:

Just checked....

He's made 1 sub appearance without scoring.

Must be injured surely...?

47003[/snapback]

Naaaa - WHAT'S HE DOING? Disco's, parties, birds etc etc

we know he's not playing football...................................

Was the famous 'Tea Lady' involved in this altercation? Bet she wasn't too chuffed that her egg mayo rolls were getting lobbed about the place! :yes

Wouldn't have happened if Kluivert was still around that's for sure...

How is he doing at Valencia anyway?

47001[/snapback]

Tuna Whopper or nowt for PK tbh.