Falconio Case starts in Darwin

Rob W

Is it really that different to victim compensation.

68211[/snapback]

She could apply for victim compensation through the appropriate channels. If they decide she's entitled to it then she can wait 4 years for it like the rest of us. ;)

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

68211[/snapback]

She could apply for victim compensation through the appropriate channels. If they decide she's entitled to it then she can wait 4 years for it like the rest of us. ;)

68215[/snapback]

Am I missing something here? Why should she be entitled to victim compensation?

68211[/snapback]

68215[/snapback]

68224[/snapback]

If her story is true, as the verdict would tend to back up, she went through a terribe ordeal IMO.

68211[/snapback]

68215[/snapback]

68224[/snapback]

I never said she was, I said she should apply for it like everyone else and then get it if they think she deserves it. Not go weeping and wailing to Sir Treve for 20 minutes for the pricely sum of £50k.

68211[/snapback]

68215[/snapback]

68224[/snapback]

If her story is true, as the verdict would tend to back up, she went through a terribe ordeal IMO.

68228[/snapback]

I agree she went through a terrible ordeal, I'm just a bit confused on who should compensate her for it. Maybe I don't know enough about it, but she wasn't physicallt harmed and it hasn't stopped her working. What's the compensation for and who pays it?

68211[/snapback]

68215[/snapback]

68224[/snapback]

68228[/snapback]

I agree she went through a terrible ordeal, I'm just a bit confused on who should compensate her for it. Maybe I don't know enough about it, but she wasn't physicallt harmed and it hasn't stopped her working. What's the compensation for and who pays it?

68234[/snapback]

It's for Peter Falconio. He can't work now you know.

I was just making the point really that I don't neccessarily see her receiving £50k for an interview to be such a terrible thing (on her part at least). I don't blame her for taking that sort of money tbh. Whether or not she should have been offered that sort of sum is a different matter.

I was just making the point really that I don't neccessarily see her receiving £50k for an interview to be such a terrible thing (on her part at least). I don't blame her for taking that sort of money tbh. Whether or not she should have been offered that sort of sum is a different matter.

68241[/snapback]

Again, I don't know too much about it, but I believe she was given the money before the case started? Afterwards I don't think I'd have too many problems, but before I would imagine could jeapordise the case, which is surely wrong.

68241[/snapback]

Again, I don't know too much about it, but I believe she was given the money before the case started? Afterwards I don't think I'd have too many problems, but before I would imagine could jeapordise the case, which is surely wrong.

68247[/snapback]

It's probably only this country in which that sort of thing would possibly lead to a retrial.

EDIT: And I think it was before the accused was caught anyway so it was just her discussing her experience really.

Edited by alex

68241[/snapback]

68247[/snapback]

It's probably only this country in which that sort of thing would possibly lead to a retrial.

EDIT: And I think it was before the accused was caught anyway so it was just her discussing her experience really.

68248[/snapback]

Didn't know that; that changes things somewhat.

She has shifty fucking eyes man.

Renton; you can get victim compensation for mental trauma caused by an crime. I could have got some for being robbed at gun point, even though no physical harm was done to me.

68262[/snapback]

Who pays, and what's the reason for it? How is money going to help, unless you can't work as a result?

She has shifty fucking eyes man.

Renton; you can get victim compensation for mental trauma caused by an crime. I could have got some for being robbed at gun point, even though no physical harm was done to me.

68262[/snapback]

Who pays, and what's the reason for it? How is money going to help, unless you can't work as a result?

68271[/snapback]

It's a government grant I believe so is footed by the tax payer. I think the whole point of it (and I'm not saying I totally agree with the point of it) is that if your life has been affected, either physically or emotionally, by a crime then you have a right to be compensated for it. I was robbed with two other people, me and another lad didn't bother with it, the other lass did and got £8,000. If I'd known that I dare say I would have tried to apply tbh.

THis is a difficult one - the evidence wasn't exactly overwhelming and the  police are either incompetent or bent

The fact the jury were back in so quickly and with a unanimous verdict suggests to me that  the accused made a pretty dreadful impression in court - they obviously thought he looked like the sort of guy who WOULD do it. 

Now - keep your eyes open for Falconio.............

68123[/snapback]

A little from column A, a little from column B.

68199[/snapback]

Thats us Sandalistas - totally non judgemental us

Thats us Sandalistas - totally non judgemental us

68278[/snapback]

Both are human nature, the question should probably be are the measures there to stop it happening. That's why I'm looking forward to the 'above reasonable questions' referees scandal exploding, it can only be a matter of time...