iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a mate of mine replaced his screen himself, cost just over £100 to get the parts, you get all the tools with it, said it wasn't that hard to do.

I've made a couple of ringtones using the guide in this thread. It worked fine initially, but I restored the iphone recently, and now they won't appear in itunes or the phone when I drag them in.

The files are m4r and should work.

Anyone else have this problem?

Spotify app approved for iPhone

Apple has approved the Spotify iPhone application, allowing users to stream music to their handsets.

The company submitted the application to Apple's iTunes App Store for its approval in July.

The application will be free, but will require the user to have a premium Spotify subscription, which costs £10.

The Swedish music streaming service is looked on as a rival to Apple's iTunes store because of its comprehensive, free library of millions of songs.

Apple currently dominates the digital music market, which led many to speculate that the app may not be approved.

However, many in the music also industry regard Spotfiy as an alternative, and a credible business model for an industry which has had difficulty adapting to the online world.

"We're not surprised but we're thrilled," founder Daniel Ek told BBC News. "We had a great dialogue with Apple from day one."

'Scaling up'

The application is designed to search for new music and will allow users to temporarily store playlists on their phone for use when there is no connection. It will also allow users to stream playlists.

The premium service, which currently costs £9.99 a month, allows users to run Spotify on their computers without adverts.

Mr Ek told BBC News that he was confident the app would bring a big surge in premium subscribers.

"We're scaling up the systems because response has been tremendous even before the app is available," he said.

The service, which launched last year, now has more than two million users in the UK, and more than six million across Europe.

It has not yet launched in the United States but says it intends to do so by the end of the year.

The company has already demonstrated an application for mobile phones running Google's Android software, though that has not been made available to the public.

Just agreed a deal on 2 iphone 3GS' for me and Mrs Paws. Get mine Thursday and the 2nd one a couple of weeks after. Starting to get a little excited now (I like new toys).

I'll read through this thread fully over lunch, but if someone can summarise what I should be looking at doing I'd appreciate it.

I'm going to sync mine with my imap email accounts (Gmail), I can do contacts and calender using itunes; so the basic work stuff is covered. Is there a decent SatNav app with voice instructions? I heard one was rumoured, but I haven't read into it enough yet. Anyone used it with bluetooth carkits yet? Apparently it should be compatible with my Nokia CK7W's, but has anyone got 1st hand experience?

A big question is, should I jailbreak and can I unjailbreak if I need to send it back (my cursory understanding is yes).

I need to read into this more, but I thought I'd ask you all for a quick heads up ;)

A big question is, should I jailbreak and can I unjailbreak if I need to send it back (my cursory understanding is yes).

Now that I can tether the iphone without jaibreaking it I haven't found any reason to do so yet.

Though if anyone knows of any essential reason why I should then please share.

Now that I can tether the iphone without jaibreaking it I haven't found any reason to do so yet.

Cool, so I can tether it and use my U/L internet on the O2 contract on my laptop without jailbreaking or getting caned by O2? Mint ;)

I guess the only other reason for jailbreaking is to install apps outside of the Apple Apps Store?

I'm still on contract with o2: 600 mins, 1000 txts, unlimited internet - £35 with an original iphone bought off ebay (o2 think ive got the pixon which i sold)

I'm sick of this original and want a new 3GS. I could send it to mazuma, make a quick £100 or whatever it is at the minute and then buy the 3GS at £87 I think.

Could I then take out a new contract with o2 but instead of being on their crappy iPhone contracts, could I just put in the sim card i am currently paying for?

Yes i know this means paying for 2 sims but i want a 3GS ;)

Just agreed a deal on 2 iphone 3GS' for me and Mrs Paws. Get mine Thursday and the 2nd one a couple of weeks after. Starting to get a little excited now (I like new toys).

I'll read through this thread fully over lunch, but if someone can summarise what I should be looking at doing I'd appreciate it.

I'm going to sync mine with my imap email accounts (Gmail), I can do contacts and calender using itunes; so the basic work stuff is covered. Is there a decent SatNav app with voice instructions? I heard one was rumoured, but I haven't read into it enough yet. Anyone used it with bluetooth carkits yet? Apparently it should be compatible with my Nokia CK7W's, but has anyone got 1st hand experience?

I need to read into this more, but I thought I'd ask you all for a quick heads up ;)

I've not jailbroken mine. You can get other apps for it that haven't been approved by itunes, I've not seen anything worth doing it for yet though. You can unjailbreak.

Sat Nav is out for it. Tom Tom have released one for £150 or so. I don't know anyone who has it.

I have Parrot bluetooth in my car, syncs perfectly with the iphone, better than my nokia n series phone, which was a disaster.

I'm still on contract with o2: 600 mins, 1000 txts, unlimited internet - £35 with an original iphone bought off ebay (o2 think ive got the pixon which i sold)

I'm sick of this original and want a new 3GS. I could send it to mazuma, make a quick £100 or whatever it is at the minute and then buy the 3GS at £87 I think.

Could I then take out a new contract with o2 but instead of being on their crappy iPhone contracts, could I just put in the sim card i am currently paying for?

Yes i know this means paying for 2 sims but i want a 3GS ;)

You should be able to put your existing sim into the new iphone. I've done it with other phones in the past and in fact; Vodafone recognised you'd put your sim into a new device and sent you the operator settings via text. Which is handy.

EDIT: Incidentally, that was when I put my Voda Sim into my mates old O2 phone so I could sent my phone to Voda for repair.

I'm on their business contract (or will be) which is exactly the same deal whether you get an iphone or something else.

Cool, so I can tether it and use my U/L internet on the O2 contract on my laptop without jailbreaking or getting caned by O2? Mint ;)

Have a look at this http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/18/how-to-...t-jailbreaking/

Though if O2 catch you then they probably will charge you, just don't take the piss with the usage and you should be fine.

I've not jailbroken mine. You can get other apps for it that haven't been approved by itunes, I've not seen anything worth doing it for yet though. You can unjailbreak.

Sat Nav is out for it. Tom Tom have released one for £150 or so. I don't know anyone who has it.

I have Parrot bluetooth in my car, syncs perfectly with the iphone, better than my nokia n series phone, which was a disaster.

Wow, it's cheaper to buy a TomTom One!

As for the bluetooth, I know what you mean. My Nokia N96 didn't play nice with my Nokia CK7W carkit, but apparently the iphone does.

Have a look at this http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/18/how-to-...t-jailbreaking/

Though if O2 catch you then they probably will charge you, just don't take the piss with the usage and you should be fine.

Yeah, I figured as much. It's not something I would do often, but it's nice to have the option whilst on long journeys or for the odd client meeting. I have a 3 PAYG dongle which is for exactly those reasons, but it's crap.

The TomTom app is about £60 and if you and the mrs both use the same iTunes login you can both install it so it's buy one get one free !