iPhone

Andrew Flintoff

Been on a 24 month contract and only now with 2 months until my upgrade is due am I having any misfortune. Volume button has dropped off and speaker is distorting, hence the pricing up.

You don't get any of the O2 enticements with them.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'll be interested to see if they have produced any innovation for this, cos the iPhone has barely changed since its inception. Interested to read there that they spend less than 2% of revenues on R&D and it shows.

Their revenue has gone from 30bn in 2008 to 100bn in 2011, so a constant $ R&D spend is a drop from 10% to 2% of revenue over 3 years.

It had the most successful quarter of any company ever in history at the end of 2011 driven by 2 products that didnt exist even 5 years ago. Bit churlish to call them out on innovation when a court of law has basically stated that everyone else copies them.

A court of law based a few blocks from their HQ. It's not an incontroversial verdict and will be challenged. Jobs was a visionary, no doubt. But he has now gone, ironically because of a character flaw in part. Will Apple innovate without him or will they maximise short term profits?

A court of law based a few blocks from their HQ. It's not an incontroversial verdict and will be challenged. Jobs was a visionary, no doubt. But he has now gone, ironically because of a character flaw in part. Will Apple innovate without him or will they maximise short term profits?

When you patent rounded edges somenthings wrong somewhere.

Samsung copied Apple, anyone with half a brain can see that. The court had to decide if the patents held by Apple meant the copying was illegal. The copying part isn't in question. Simple things like accessing an app via a touch sensitive icon are ubiquitous now but pre iPhone didn't exist and are the result of a hardware development philosophy that wanted to create a seamless user experience. Samsung had a bit of that. In fact they had a bit of everything that made the iPhone. Apple's court victory was about compensation for copying the design. Design is as much intellectual property as the mechanics underneath. You can't build a car to look like another one and expect to get away with it so the same applies for all products. But let's not forget what is quite simply understood by everyone in the tech industry, android is an iOS rip off and Samsung copies every single design feature of the iPhone. I don't blame Google or Samsung for adopting winning strategies nor Apple for bristling at blatantly being ripped off.

Samsung copied Apple, anyone with half a brain can see that. The court had to decide if the patents held by Apple meant the copying was illegal. The copying part isn't in question. Simple things like accessing an app via a touch sensitive icon are ubiquitous now but pre iPhone didn't exist and are the result of a hardware development philosophy that wanted to create a seamless user experience. Samsung had a bit of that. In fact they had a bit of everything that made the iPhone. Apple's court victory was about compensation for copying the design. Design is as much intellectual property as the mechanics underneath. You can't build a car to look like another one and expect to get away with it so the same applies for all products. But let's not forget what is quite simply understood by everyone in the tech industry, android is an iOS rip off and Samsung copies every single design feature of the iPhone. I don't blame Google or Samsung for adopting winning strategies nor Apple for bristling at blatantly being ripped off.

Maybe, not being a patent lawyer I don't know, sure Apple have 'ripped off' others as well though, eg the first GUI was from Xerox. I'm more interested in the future though. Too much patent protection isn't good for the consumer, that's for certain.