Contract delays add to Newcastle uncertainty

Jimbo

Joe Kinnear may be formulating plans for the January transfer window, but the sense of drift that continues to infect Newcastle United was highlighted yesterday when Steve Harper admitted that he is yet to be offered a new contract. Along with Michael Owen and Nicky Butt, the experienced goalkeeper’s present deal expires next summer, but there have been no negotiations regarding an extension.

Harper’s comments were a statement of fact, not a complaint, but as a reflection of events at St James’ Park, they were illustrative. At 33, Harper is in his prime for his position — as he demonstrated under Kevin Keegan in the latter half of last season — but, as things stand, he, Owen, his captain, and Butt will be entitled to leave on free transfers at the end of the season.

With the prospective sale of the club likely to be delayed until February — one of two American investment groups interested in buying Newcastle is engaged in due diligence — and Mike Ashley, the owner, reluctant to sanction expenditure before his departure, it seems unlikely that talks will begin. The perils of losing such established players should be obvious.

“My contract is up in the summer and I haven’t been offered a new one,” Harper said. “There are a few of us in the same boat and we’ll just keep working and see what happens. With everything that’s been going on, I don’t know what the situation is.

Related Links

“But I’ve been fully committed here for the best part of 16 years and I’ll remain so until somebody tells me otherwise. When Kevin was here he did mention he would like to give me a new deal, but he’s not here any more and it’s died a death. It’s a hypothetical question. If the option was there, I would consider it, but at this moment in time, it’s not.”

Kinnear, the interim manager, has been told that, should he remain in situ in January, he will be required to balance the books if he wishes to add to Newcastle’s flimsy squad and with the team just one place above the Barclays Premier League relegation zone, the chances are that he will.

Kinnear has made contact with Roma about signing John Arne Riise, the former Liverpool left back who was a target of Keegan, on a loan basis. “We have been in touch with Roma to see what kind of package they are looking at for Riise,” Kinnear said. “We’re waiting to hear back from them.”

Kinnear has denied reports that Charles N’Zogbia is one of the players he would readily jettison and the French midfield player, whose attitude has been questioned, has clarified his position after he was quoted last weekend as having expressed an interest in joining Paris Saint-Germain.

“In an ideal world I would want to stay with Newcastle United,” N’Zogbia said. “This is the first time I have spoken about my future and those quotes attributed to me over the weekend came from my agent back in France. Obviously I am not happy that I have hardly featured in Joe Kinnear’s starting line-up recently, but that is up to me to put right.”

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Harper, but I'm starting to think maybe it's time he moved on to let Krul take up the No.2 Keepers spot.

Agree with that, Harper is a top keeper in my eyes, but he's never going to usurp Given. He does stop the younger keepers making the bench and getting games in cup games and whatnot.

I like Harper, but I'm starting to think maybe it's time he moved on to let Krul take up the No.2 Keepers spot.

You just know though, the minute Harper signed for someone else,Given's legs would spontaneously break, and Krul would damage his wrist in a bizarre pet tortoise related incident.

It's NUFC...... these things will happen. :lol:

Didn't we sell Krul?

Edit: Loaned to Carlisle. Also looks like there's a whole bunch of players that could walk on a free come the summer, Ameobi included. - http://www.nufc.com/2008-09html/squad.html

Edited by MrBass

You just know though, the minute Harper signed for someone else,Given's legs would spontaneously break, and Krul would have his neck torn off in a bizarre pet gorilla related incident.

It's NUFC...... these things will happen. :lol:

;)

Harper will be in goal for you after Jan. He will finally get as run of games and hopefully prove himself. Geordie lad so he should fulfill the criteria.

When Danny makes a prediction, you can pretty much bank on it.

:lol:

Harper will be in goal for you after Jan. He will finally get as run of games and hopefully prove himself. Geordie lad so he should fulfill the criteria.

When Danny makes a prediction, you can pretty much bank on it.

:lol:

Correct:

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=20237

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=20225

I am scarily knowledgeable about the workings of the game at the highest level. Its just a shame my playing career was blighted by a lack of talent.

You just know though, the minute Harper signed for someone else,Given's legs would spontaneously break, and Krul would damage his wrist in a bizarre pet tortoise related incident.

It's NUFC...... these things will happen. ;)

I'm thinking more Harper sods off, Given is sold, Krul turns out to be rubbish/breaks every bone in his body. We get Hartlepool's 3rd choice keeper on loan because he's cheap.

Squad? We don't need no strength in depth. :lol:195.gif

The amount of people out of contract in the summer is really scary. I've said a few times I think we'll be alright this season (not counting my chickens by any means) but the real worry is next season when we could easily have the worst squad since we got into the Premier League.

It's NUFC...... these things will happen. ;)

I'm thinking more Harper sods off, Given is sold, Krul turns out to be rubbish/breaks every bone in his body. We get Hartlepool's 3rd choice keeper on loan because he's cheap.

Squad? We don't need no strength in depth. :lol:195.gif

we can always ask the FA if we can play "Rush Goalie" or " 3 pots in" B)

The amount of people out of contract in the summer is really scary. I've said a few times I think we'll be alright this season (not counting my chickens by any means) but the real worry is next season when we could easily have the worst squad since we got into the Premier League.

Which of the players coming to the end of their contract would you offer a new deal?

Which of the players coming to the end of their contract would you offer a new deal?

Difficult to say because I don't trust the current regime to bring in adequate replacements.

Difficult to say because I don't trust the current regime to bring in adequate replacements.

agreed, but I'm sure the DOF knows which players he'll keep for the manager

Looking at the players who could go I don't think it would be that hard to replace most of them tbh.

The only player I wouldn't want to lose is Owen but I don't think he's ever had any intention of sticking around longer than he has to anyway, the rest can be replaced easily enough even if it means promoting youth players to replace Harper, Edgar, Cacapa etc.

Looking at the players who could go I don't think it would be that hard to replace most of them tbh.

The only player I wouldn't want to lose is Owen but I don't think he's ever had any intention of sticking around longer than he has to anyway, the rest can be replaced easily enough even if it means promoting youth players to replace Harper, Edgar, Cacapa etc.

Viduka, Owen and Ameobi walk and you think we have the youth to replace them?

Martins and Duff first choice front line.

In an ideal world, I wouldn't disagree too much. But we Shola, Owen and Viduka away for a start. Fair enough, one isn't good enough and the other two have spent a lot of time injured etc. but I honestly can't see us attracting good quality replacements. Also, Harper is a quality no. 2 and it's not necessarily the case that he'd be easily replaced by promoting Krul or Foster. Even if it is the case that these two are good enough it seems criminally negligent to let him go for nowt - should that happen. Also, while Edgar and Cacapa might not be anything special I'd question who we've got in the youth ranks who are at their level. Especially considering we only have Taylor, Collocini and Bassong with any first team experience at CB. On top of the fact we're short on players anyway and all the sounds coming out of the club seem to suggest frugality.