Other drivers

Renton

Can someone please tell me why mileage doesn't matter, without throwing the statistics into this. Surely the further you drive, the more likely you are to crash (not statistically, but physically). In the same way that the older the car is, the more likely you are to crash. In the same way that the worse your eyesight is, the more likely you are to crash.

Or do you want to look at it the other way, and say that because someone drives 140 miles a day, he becomes a better driver than someone who drives 3 miles a day, as generally drivers become better with experience.

I've forgotten what I'm arguing about now.  :razz:

45101[/snapback]

Mileage doesn't matter because it is a far too uncertain factor to insurance companies. Again, the calculation is based on how much insured events a caused by a specific group. It doesn't matter to the insurance company how often or how good someone drives, but if his insurance contribution covers the risk of an insured incident. Anyway, a terrible driver who uses his car once a year is much more likely that he covers his risk by his contribution than a good driver.

45109[/snapback]

Yeah you've described how it works at present but I think mine and SG's point is that it should and future technology might facilitate it.

45114[/snapback]

I don't think even with future facilites you'll be able a fair insurance system based on mileage.

Look, insurances are basing their system on the cost of insured events. They therefore look how much money they have to acquire. The calculation is mostly based on a year, with insurants paying periodically (I don't think that's different in England).

To get a fair system they now have to generate a system where the contribution of each insurant matches the insured events he causes as good as possible. Mileage doesn't fit into this system, because you have one parameter too much. You would have to base this system on insured events/year on one hand and insured events/mileage on the other hand. Well, you could change the system by crossing out the time factor, but then how to calculate the contribution so that they provide the insurance with enough cash constantly. Mileage is also a far too variable. Gender on the other hand is a static parameter.

Renton is right, though. You could also base your calculation on other static parameters like race. That would obviously cause a huge uproar. Anyway, there exists an EC-discrimantion act that has to get implemented into national legislation. It prohibits every kind of discrimination of race, religion, gender etc. It is a big topic here in Germany (especially among privat law scientiest like me), because women right groups demand the act to be implemented as soon as possible, because they feel especially discriminated by one economical branch...and guess what...it's the insurance industry that is discriminating women in a lot branches due to their statistically longer life time. It's funny while those women are able to dig out loads of insurance sectors where they are discriminated, men do only come up with one...

45157[/snapback]

All by the by IMO 'cause as we all know, most blacks don't have insurance ;)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think even with future facilites you'll be able a fair insurance system based on mileage.

Look, insurances are basing their system on the cost of insured events. They therefore look how much money they have to acquire. The calculation is mostly based on a year, with insurants paying periodically (I don't think that's different in England).

To get a fair system they now have to generate a system where the contribution of each insurant matches the insured events he causes as good as possible. Mileage doesn't fit into this system, because you have one parameter too much. You would have to base this system on insured events/year on one hand and insured events/mileage on the other hand. Well, you could change the system by crossing out the time factor, but then how to calculate the contribution so that they provide the insurance with enough cash constantly. Mileage is also a far too variable. Gender on the other hand is a static parameter.

Renton is right, though. You could also base your calculation on other static parameters like race. That would obviously cause a huge uproar. Anyway, there exists an EC-discrimantion act that has to get implemented into national legislation. It prohibits every kind of discrimination of race, religion, gender etc. It is a big topic here in Germany (especially among privat law scientiest like me), because women right groups demand the act to be implemented as soon as possible, because they feel especially discriminated by one economical branch...and guess what...it's the insurance industry that is discriminating women in a lot branches due to their statistically longer life time. It's funny while those women are able to dig out loads of insurance sectors where they are discriminated, men do only come up with one...

45157[/snapback]

I see what you're saying but....

My view is that if they do include a factor for "likeliness to have an accident" which is based on the number of accidents someone has had in the past then they should consider all of the factors that actually produce those stats and look further than "less women have accidents".

I think its the glib use of the phrase "women are safer drivers" that I object to - not because I don't think its true but because its basis is flawed imo and I don't think it should be applied to the cost on such an arbitrary basis.

On the equality issue in general there have always been swings and roundabouts - not so common now but the differential retirement ages being a classic.

I've just come back from lunch whereupon I witnessed some of the worst parking I've ever seen. Next to a disabled spot was a tiny gap that clearly wasn't meant to be a parking space, and next to it were some bollards. Someone had parked diagonally so that their front bumper was literally an inch from the disabled person's car, and their passenger door an inch from the bollard. How the hell they got out of the car I don't know.

Needless to say I noticed a woman walking away from the scene, and she turned round and pressed the button on her keyring, and lo and behold it was the lights on this appalingly parked Polo that flashed. I've even done a bit of a drawing so you can see what it was like - it doesn't get any more scientific than this. :razz:

parking5lz.png

Silly fucking bitch. ;)

I've just come back from lunch whereupon I witnessed some of the worst parking I've ever seen.  Next to a disabled spot was a tiny gap that clearly wasn't meant to be a parking space, and next to it were some bollards.  Someone had parked diagonally so that their front bumper was literally an inch from the disabled person's car, and their passenger door an inch from the bollard.  How the hell they got out of the car I don't know.

Needless to say I noticed a woman walking away from the scene, and she turned round and pressed the button on her keyring, and lo and behold it was the lights on this appalingly parked Polo that flashed.  I've even done a bit of a drawing so you can see what it was like - it doesn't get any more scientific than this. :razz:

parking5lz.png

Silly fucking bitch.  :icon_lol:

45163[/snapback]

What does this prove? Men can't draw? ;)

Edited by alex

I've just come back from lunch whereupon I witnessed some of the worst parking I've ever seen.  Next to a disabled spot was a tiny gap that clearly wasn't meant to be a parking space, and next to it were some bollards.  Someone had parked diagonally so that their front bumper was literally an inch from the disabled person's car, and their passenger door an inch from the bollard.  How the hell they got out of the car I don't know.

Needless to say I noticed a woman walking away from the scene, and she turned round and pressed the button on her keyring, and lo and behold it was the lights on this appalingly parked Polo that flashed.  I've even done a bit of a drawing so you can see what it was like - it doesn't get any more scientific than this. :razz:

parking5lz.png

Silly fucking bitch.  ;)

45163[/snapback]

In case anybody missed it the other day, this man was actually offered a fucking PAYRISE to stay with his employer!

Needless to say I noticed a woman walking away from the scene, and she turned round and pressed the button on her keyring, and lo and behold it was the lights on this appalingly parked Polo that flashed.  I've even done a bit of a drawing so you can see what it was like - it doesn't get any more scientific than this. ;)

parking5lz.png

Silly fucking bitch.  :D

45163[/snapback]

In case anybody missed it the other day, this man was actually offered a fucking PAYRISE to stay with his employer!

45168[/snapback]

:razz:

Worth every penny. :icon_lol:

"I think its the glib use of the phrase "women are safer drivers" that I object to - not because I don't think its true but because its basis is flawed imo and I don't think it should be applied to the cost on such an arbitrary basis."

Insurers use actuaries (the most boring people under the sun) to calculate the rates for everything - if women have lower rates its beacause the insurance company is less likely to have to pay out i.e they have less accidents - the question of "better" drivers doesn't come into it - its straight (but complaex) maths

We've got a 'name and shame' thing going on at work at the moment. Any shit parking, it's photographed by security and put on the intranet....

People moan like fuck that they're being 'exposed' but as they're told, if they bothered to park sensibly, their cars will never appear on the list!

Invariably it's the females who are on there - but I'm saying nowt for fear of Bridget telling me I'm talking shite! :razz:

"I think its the glib use of the phrase "women are safer drivers" that I object to - not because I don't think its true but because its basis is flawed imo and I don't think it should be applied to the cost on such an arbitrary basis."

Insurers use actuaries (the most boring people under the sun) to calculate the rates for everything - if women have lower rates its beacause the insurance company is less likely to have to pay out i.e they have less accidents - the question of "better" drivers doesn't come into it - its straight (but complaex) maths

45223[/snapback]

Is Gemmill an 'actuary'?

Without wishing to simply ingratiate myself to the female members of the board, I would say, generally speaking (it would have to be generally speaking I suppose) women are the superior gender. That's just my point of view and I don't consider Margaret Thatcher to be a woman either.

Without wishing to simply ingratiate myself to the female members of the board, I would say, generally speaking (it would have to be generally speaking I suppose) women are the superior gender. That's just my point of view and I don't consider Margaret Thatcher to be a woman either.

45230[/snapback]

As if! :razz:

That strikes me as an odd thing to say mind. Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by superior.

Stronger?

More intelligent?

etc.

It strikes me that it is men who have largely driven the world we live in, for whatever reason. I certainly don't think we are inferior to women, just different.

45230[/snapback]

As if! ;)

That strikes me as an odd thing to say mind. Perhaps you could clarify what you mean by superior.

Stronger?

More intelligent?

etc.

It strikes me that it is men who have largely driven the world we live in, for whatever reason. I certainly don't think we are inferior to women, just different.

45233[/snapback]

Unlike you to disagree :razz:

45223[/snapback]

Is Gemmill an 'actuary'?

45229[/snapback]

Unlikely

they are very very good at stats and maths, they get paid a fortune but they are never allowed out into the light

the standard joke is "they couldn't stand life in the fast lane that is accountancy"

real geeks

There was a recent study which revealed that no specific group (Gender, age, car size, etc. etc.) was more likely to be involved in a road accident, and that time spent driving was the main factor in being in a crash. People who drove for a living ie. Sales Reps, Taxi Drivers etc. were higher risks because of their time spent on the road, rather than any particular way of driving.

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

Unlikely

they are very very good at stats and maths, they get paid a fortune but they are never allowed out into the light

the standard joke is "they couldn't stand life in the fast lane that is accountancy"

real geeks

45244[/snapback]

When I was young I wanted to grow up to be an actuary, none of these gung-ho notions of being an astronaut for me. What a dull child I must have been that my greatest aspiration was a life of probability. :razz:

Strange that they're almost equally as difficult to achieve.

There was a recent study which revealed that no specific group (Gender, age, car size, etc. etc.) was more likely to be involved in a road accident, and that time spent driving was the main factor in being in a crash. People who drove for a living ie. Sales Reps, Taxi Drivers etc. were higher risks because of their time spent on the road, rather than any particular way of driving.

45298[/snapback]

So that backs up Gol's claim.......

Still at least he's not on his own! :razz:

45298[/snapback]

:razz:

This Bridget sounds like a right vinegar tits, what's up Bridget? Not enough cock?

45353[/snapback]

With no disrespect to Bridget, that quote in itself deserves to go into the Gold Forum. :razz:

45298[/snapback]

SOURCE????

Unlikely

real geeks

45244[/snapback]

When I was young I wanted to grow up to be an actuary, none of these gung-ho notions of being an astronaut for me. What a dull child I must have been that my greatest aspiration was a life of probability. :icon_lol:

Strange that they're almost equally as difficult to achieve.

45302[/snapback]

:razz:;):icon_lol::D:icon_lol:

Actuaries don't make the front pages - on the other hand they rarely die early either