A statment from me!

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Newcastle United have been going through a rough time lately and unfortunately the British press has seen this as a chance to kick someone while they are on the floor. Lets get things straight from the off. The recent protests are not just a reaction to the resignation of Kevin Keegan due to his lack of backing from a board of directors with no real experience running a football club at this level. The protests of the fans is a reaction to years of bad management which can be traced back to the sacking of Sir Bobby Robson and the dumbfounding appointment of Graeme Souness as his manager. At that point Newcastle were considered part of a top five. Oh how things change. I live outside of the north east now and I am constantly being asked about the thoughts and actions of Newcastle’s supporters. Well you know what I can’t. That is because there are thousands of them. At least 52,000 and that is a conservative estimate based purely on the sell out attendances this small club has achieved despite not having won anything for 40 years. I cannot answer for all of them or even a large percentage. Because that attendance is combined of individuals all with there own ideas. Yes we all want the best for the club but trying to get everyone to agree what that is, well that is an exercise in futility. However that does not stop the modern media from reporting on the “feelings of Newcastle fans” or commenting on how “Newcastle fans want this” or “Newcastle fans have done that”. One wonders if these same people who have in the past have levelled racist accusations against these fans would have the temerity to say that “Chinese people want this” or “black people have done that” because it is tantamount to the same thing. Today’s journalists are a lazy bunch they are so happy to use cultural or regional identity to group all Newcastle fans together but would not dare to criticise another group the same way. Newcastle United deserves to be treated with respect, but so does everybody something that the modern media forgets. Only accusations mud slinging and regionalistic slurs seems to sell papers or get people to phone radio shows these days. Newcastle United has recently got itself a supporters association. This is something that every club should have. A group which supporters can join separate from the club which can share their views and feedback officially to owners (whoever they may be). Newcastle may be struggling at the moment and they may find that this year things do not get better. People have in the past said they may “do a leeds”. Well if they do I know one thing even though the press may desert us and go kick another club in turmoil the supporters will not desert the club. I am not saying that 52,000 will turn up to see the local derby against Hartlepool but I bet it gets the biggest crowd of the day.

Newcastle United have been going through a rough time lately and unfortunately the British press has seen this as a chance to kick someone while they are on the floor. Lets get things straight from the off. The recent protests are not just a reaction to the resignation of Kevin Keegan due to his lack of backing from a board of directors with no real experience running a football club at this level.

The protests of the fans is a reaction to years of bad management which can be traced back to the sacking of Sir Bobby Robson and the dumbfounding appointment of Graeme Souness as his manager. At that point Newcastle were considered part of a top five. Oh how things change. I live outside of the North East now and I am constantly being asked about the thoughts and actions of Newcastle’s supporters. Well you know what? I can’t. That is because there are thousands of them. At least 52,000 and that is a conservative estimate based purely on the sell out attendances this small club has achieved despite not having won anything for 40 years.

I cannot answer for all of them or even a large percentage. Because that attendance is combined of individuals all with their own ideas. Yes we all want the best for the club but trying to get everyone to agree what that is, well that is an exercise in futility. However that does not stop the modern media from reporting on the “feelings of Newcastle fans” or commenting on how “Newcastle fans want this” or “Newcastle fans have done that”. One wonders if these same people who have in the past have levelled racist accusations against these fans would have the temerity to say that “Chinese people want this” or “black people have done that” because it is tantamount to the same thing.

Today’s journalists are a lazy bunch they are so happy to use cultural or regional identity to group all Newcastle fans together but would not dare to criticise another group the same way. Newcastle United deserves to be treated with respect, but so does everybody something that the modern media forgets. Only accusations mud slinging and regionalistic slurs seems to sell papers or get people to phone radio shows these days.

Newcastle United has recently got itself a supporters association. This is something that every club should have. A group which supporters can join separate from the club which can share their views and feedback officially to owners (whoever they may be).

Newcastle may be struggling at the moment and they may find that this year things do not get better. People have in the past said they may “Do a leeds”. Well if they do, I know one thing; even though the press may desert us and go kick another club in turmoil, the supporters will not desert the club. I am not saying that 52,000 will turn up to see the local derby against Hartlepool but I bet it gets the biggest crowd of the day.

Made it a little easier to digest. Good post.

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

Newcastle United have been going through a rough time lately and unfortunately the British press has seen this as a chance to kick someone while they are on the floor. Lets get things straight from the off. The recent protests are not just a reaction to the resignation of Kevin Keegan due to his lack of backing from a board of directors with no real experience running a football club at this level.

The protests of the fans is a reaction to years of bad management which can be traced back to the sacking of Sir Bobby Robson and the dumbfounding appointment of Graeme Souness as his manager. At that point Newcastle were considered part of a top five. Oh how things change. I live outside of the North East now and I am constantly being asked about the thoughts and actions of Newcastle’s supporters. Well you know what? I can’t. That is because there are thousands of them. At least 52,000 and that is a conservative estimate based purely on the sell out attendances this small club has achieved despite not having won anything for 40 years.

I cannot answer for all of them or even a large percentage. Because that attendance is combined of individuals all with their own ideas. Yes we all want the best for the club but trying to get everyone to agree what that is, well that is an exercise in futility. However that does not stop the modern media from reporting on the “feelings of Newcastle fans” or commenting on how “Newcastle fans want this” or “Newcastle fans have done that”. One wonders if these same people who have in the past have levelled racist accusations against these fans would have the temerity to say that “Chinese people want this” or “black people have done that” because it is tantamount to the same thing.

Today’s journalists are a lazy bunch they are so happy to use cultural or regional identity to group all Newcastle fans together but would not dare to criticise another group the same way. Newcastle United deserves to be treated with respect, but so does everybody something that the modern media forgets. Only accusations mud slinging and regionalistic slurs seems to sell papers or get people to phone radio shows these days.

Newcastle United has recently got itself a supporters association. This is something that every club should have. A group which supporters can join separate from the club which can share their views and feedback officially to owners (whoever they may be).

Newcastle may be struggling at the moment and they may find that this year things do not get better. People have in the past said they may “Do a leeds”. Well if they do, I know one thing; even though the press may desert us and go kick another club in turmoil, the supporters will not desert the club. I am not saying that 52,000 will turn up to see the local derby against Hartlepool but I bet it gets the biggest crowd of the day.

O/T that avatar, man. Class. :read:

O/T that avatar, man. Class. :read:

Aye, loving that! Quality.

... and thanks for sorting that post out, I couldn't be arsed to read it when it was one block.

I hate to piss on your chips, but 2 years ago we were in europe, and the crowds have stayed above the 50,000 mark.

My protests about the board don't really have anything to do with Keegan, its because they have appointed a manager that they aren't allowing to manage, and appear to have no understanding of football and even less understanding of the problems they have gave their own appointed manager as a result.

Following on from that, they also appear not to give a shit, and if this IS the case, then they are the wrong people for us.

I hate to piss on your chips, but 2 years ago we were in europe, and the crowds have stayed above the 50,000 mark.

My protests about the board don't really have anything to do with Keegan, its because they have appointed a manager that they aren't allowing to manage, and appear to have no understanding of football and even less understanding of the problems they have gave their own appointed manager as a result.

Following on from that, they also appear not to give a shit, and if this IS the case, then they are the wrong people for us.

Agreed, plus they have zero communication skills and are now doing whatever they can to fuck off the fans.

ashley faced the backlash of years of crap toon fans have had to put up with , but its no excuse for letting us go into a season in the shape we are in , no wonder keegan didnt want to put his name to it .

This is my problem with the media though. They haven't just started to kick us while we're down, they've been doing it constantly for years now. Some of it is brought on by the club, with the managerial sackings and appointments, the bowyer and dyer incident, signing barton, bellamy's misgivings etc. As mentioned in the original post, the generalisation of Newcastle fans is what i find most ridiculous. Constantly people at work or friends will say "you lot only want keegan or shearer in charge", "you'd rather lose 4-3 than win 1-0" and "why would you rather win the f.a cup than the league". I can ignore the media saying it, but when people around you believe this crap and put it to you i feel like i have to defend us as the natural reaction. i'd be happy with an elephant in charge if he got us silverware, i'd rather win 38 league games 1-0 and personally i'd rather win the league than the f.a cup.

of course some of our fans' opinion will vary slightly, but the media's constant attacking of our club has got the majority of the country into this mindset that we're a delusional set of fans. every club has the sky sports mongs, the optimists, the pessimists, but we more than others seemed to be generalised. the numerous reference to our attendances this season has been ridiculous too. we had 48,000 against bolton in the height of the holiday season where ticketing problems had occurred and the credit crunch is looming over everyone's heads. that was the highest attendance in the country that weekend, yet it was made out like we had 10,000 at the game. then we have wednesday's carling cup game, where yes, 32,000 empty seats is a lot. the current english and european champions had 24,000 empty seats and current premier league high flier's like aston villa and portsmouth had gates of 21,000 and 15,000 respectively and everything is very rosy at their clubs compared to what has gone on at ours.