Who ISN'T "World Class"???

Rob W

So if there theoretically could be 5000 world class players on the planet?

You have to have something to differentiate world class from excellent, putting them in a World XI would be the best idea.

Or, to put it another way, a world class player is someone who would improve any team in the world.

Edited by Sima

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to have something to differentiate world class from excellent, putting them in a World XI would be the best idea.

44528[/snapback]

I think a world class player is someone that excels on a world stage. I get what you're saying and obviously 5000 world class players wouldn't be feasible, but I think there's more than 18 around as well.

44528[/snapback]

I think a world class player is someone that excels on a world stage. I get what you're saying and obviously 5000 world class players wouldn't be feasible, but I think there's more than 18 around as well.

44530[/snapback]

And my edited point about them improving any team. Which sort of backs up my 18 as they all would do that. You can argue there would be more as well, I just knocked off a quick list.

Edited by Sima

the england sqaud is full of world class players...with a few exceptions. the problem is, on recent evidence, we don't look a world class team.

the likes of

rooney

beckham

owen

lampard

gerrard

terry

rio

campbell

g neville

a cole

would get into most international setups, with the exception of perhaps brazil.

I think Rio & Terry are top, Cole is very, very good. Gerrard is a great talent but not always on display, Lamps is too slow for me, Beckham good but not world class imo, Rooney is a bit special, Owen's a good finisher.

Dunno why they just don't try someone like Gareth Barry on the left, i'd even ask Robbie Fowler! Say to him, i know your a forward but you've got a good left foot and stuck for anyone else and this is your only chance of getting a game, fancy it? Either of them must be worth a try rather trying to squeeze Beck, Stevie and Frank into a formation that doesn't work.

My 1st choice 11 would be:

Wes Brown..........Rio............Sol...............Cole

SWP................Jenas............King,L..............Dyer

.......................Defoe............Heskey.............

with some as yet unheard of black genius goalkeeper.

Subs:

Bramble

Vassell

Bent, D.

Jlloyd Samuel

as yet, unfound back-up goalie of good caribbean ancestry.

Carlton Palmer as manager.

Purely my unbiased opinion of England's best chance at silverware

44382[/snapback]

Er, hello...David James. :)

44384[/snapback]

Er............i'll keep looking but thanks for your humorous suggestion. :)

44390[/snapback]

Matt Murray

World class is oversued a bit these days on players who aren't, but then there are people at the other end who go way over the top and state there is only about 11 world class players or something.

Nobody can say exactly what it means as its a very vague term, but there are plenty of players about who can be called world class. Its when the term legend or genius is used that you have to keep it to a VERY select bunch.

So for me England have got some world class players, the likes of Campbell, Ferdinand, Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Owen, Rooney, when at their best would all fit well into the top teams at club and international levels. Then there's Ashley Cole who may be a cock but theres not many better LB's and Gary Neville is a top class RB even if some people deny it. And Robinson may not yet be world class but i think he will be.

I think Rio & Terry are top, Cole is very, very good. Gerrard is a great talent but not always on display, Lamps is too slow for me, Beckham good but not world class imo, Rooney is a bit special, Owen's a good finisher.

Dunno why they just don't try someone like Gareth Barry on the left, i'd even ask Robbie Fowler! Say to him, i know your a forward but you've got a good left foot and stuck for anyone else and this is your only chance of getting a game, fancy it? Either of them must be worth a try rather trying to squeeze Beck, Stevie and Frank into a formation that doesn't work.

My 1st choice 11 would be:

Wes Brown..........Rio............Sol...............Cole

SWP................Jenas............King,L..............Dyer

.......................Defoe............Heskey.............

with some as yet unheard of black genius goalkeeper.

Subs:

Bramble

Vassell

Bent, D.

Jlloyd Samuel

as yet, unfound back-up goalie of good caribbean ancestry.

Carlton Palmer as manager.

Purely my unbiased opinion of England's best chance at silverware

44382[/snapback]

*puts tin hat on* Hope we dont draw Spain like :)

In the strictest sense of the expression, "world class" should mean getting into a world 11..or maybe a world 16 or even 20 now that football is more of a squad game. [although our very own fuckwit pretends he doesn't realise this to give his claim/excuse of "not playing his best 11" some sort of credibility, having taken over a SQUAD that was established champions league/UEFA Cup qualifiers.......]

However, now I've made that undisputable point.........

England have a pretty good bunch of players just now, the best for a long time.

With a good manager, different approach and the one thing we always lack, a natural left sided attacking player, we would have a good chance of repeating Italy 90 and maybe bettering it.

But under Eriksson, no chance.

The real best players IMO are Robinson [easily one of the best keepers in the world], Gary Neville [great influence and pro], Terry [same as Neville], Cole, Beckham [best crosser in the world, and should stay wide right, in fact if he tells Sven he wants to play centre midfield Sven should tell him to piss off and stop being so stupid], and Rooney [new Gazza and like Gazza should become world number 1 but his character is flawed].

Other players like our own Micky O, Defoe, Carragher, Gerrard and Lampard are pretty damn good too.

Rio Ferdinand is fast becoming a ponce of the highest order.

Should be a good world cup, at least we will have a few games and will probably and hopefully reach our usual quarter final, until we are 2-1 down with half an hor left and genius Sven takes a forward off for another forward........or scores an early goal and proceeds to sit on it for 85 minutes ....

Edited by LeazesMag

World class for me is players of the standard of Van Basten, Pele, Maradona, Eusebio, Cruyff, Beckenbauer etc

To hear so many of todays players called World Class is ridiculous.

44551[/snapback]

That's a bit of a tight criteria you're setting there like, they would all probably make the top 10 [players ever. :)

I agree with what you are saying though, the phrase "world class" is definitely overused. It's pretty subjective though, obviously.

I think because the gutter press are quick to overate anyone in an England shirt in the last few years, the whole world class thing get's a bit clouded. I always go off what I've seen on the pitch, either live or on the tele, and I would say Terry is certainly world class. My old man goes on and on about how footballers nowadays are nowt compared to 20-30 years ago. But as I point out to him, the systems played and the whole mentality of the game allowed players to express themselves more, especially in British football.

I think the most important thing we're all missing here is that world class players aren't always necessary if you want to actually win something. You need a world class TEAM. Look at Greece, Porto and Liverpool.

Real Madrid are full of world class players, but as a team they are not as good as they should be. The team MUST come before profile and ego.

I think you need a balance, some quiet guys, not just the most famous 11 players in each position. A strong work ethic and team spirit are more important IMO than flair in each postion.

I think with hindsight it was wrong to make Beckham captain. I'm sure Sven realised it would raise the profile of the team and therefore his salary, but what DB offers is not what Tony Adams offered.

Beckham is not a captain nor is he a central play maker. He is a world class winger. Until those blindingly obvious points are addressed we're not likely to win much.

What makes a 'world class' team is a whole different debate. Are Liverpool '05 and Greece '04 really world class? Results wise I suppose they are.

Question; Is Michael Owen World Class?

I'm not sure myself, was Gary Lineker ever World Class? Scored lots of goals at International level and played for Barca, but world class? Does scoring goals at every level, especially the highest, make you world class?

Question; Is Michael Owen World Class?

I'm not sure myself, was Gary Lineker ever World Class? Scored lots of goals at International level and played for Barca, but world class? Does scoring goals at every level, especially the highest, make you world class?

44779[/snapback]

what else would?

giving money to the blind and lame?

it has to be performance at the highest level, over a number of years

Sadly you're right

I hav a bad premonition about Jormany 2006

44757[/snapback]

Bet you Rob quotes himself on this next year when we don't win the World Cup. :)

44784[/snapback]

I've realised it might overlap with the Tour tho'........

Can I pursue the Drug Fiends, check the Beeb every minute AND prove myself 150% correct....

I feel an anxiety attack coming on........... :):yes<_<:lol::lol: