Freddys warning to Souness..

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE chairman Freddy Shepherd has warned Graeme Souness he MUST get the club back into Europe next season after splashing out £40million in the summer.

Souness was given phenomenal backing during the transfer window to land Michael Owen, Albert Luque, Scott Parker, Emre and Nobby Solano - and knows the pressure is on to bring back the extra revenue that European football offers.

Injuries have so far stopped the United manager from picking his first choice eleven but the message from Shepherd is clear.

"Our ambition for this season is to certainly finish in the top six,'' said Shepherd. "Once we get the players back in the next few weeks we will be able to mount a great effort to get up there.

"We want the European nights back at St James' Park. That is why we have invested a huge amount of money to land the players we did in the summer to get us there.

"We are a big club, a worldwide club, we need to be in Europe.

"It has been a very expensive period in terms of transfer. You can see the difference on and off the pitch.

"You cannot beat quality. No one can question the desire to be successful here.

"We will be a match for anyone when we have everyone fit.''

NEWCASTLE chairman Freddy Shepherd has warned Graeme Souness he MUST get the club back into Europe next season after splashing out £40million in the summer.

Souness was given phenomenal backing during the transfer window to land Michael Owen, Albert Luque, Scott Parker, Emre and Nobby Solano - and knows the pressure is on to bring back the extra revenue that European football offers.

Injuries have so far stopped the United manager from picking his first choice eleven but the message from Shepherd is clear.

"Our ambition for this season is to certainly finish in the top six,'' said Shepherd. "Once we get the players back in the next few weeks we will be able to mount a great effort to get up there.

"We want the European nights back at St James' Park. That is why we have invested a huge amount of money to land the players we did in the summer to get us there.

"It has been a very expensive period in terms of transfer. You can see the difference on and off the pitch.

44071[/snapback]

etc

Don't worry I'm firmly in the Souness out camp, but by sacking him so sharply we are making the job less and less attractive for prospective applicants.

I know this isn't a good enough reason for him to still be there though.

Don't worry I'm firmly in the Souness out camp, but by sacking him so sharply we are making the job less and less attractive for prospective applicants.

44082[/snapback]

aye. And as for his replacement, instead of just saying "anybody" Meenzer or Icegrim [can't remember which] have convinced me Hitzfeld is our man as for various reasons the other top candidates may be a problem

I believe Hitzfeld wouldn't take the job in a million years, even if we put forward an excellent financial package. Maybe when Souness was appointed the job would have been attractive stature wise but our low finish last season has dented our reputation somewhat.

It may have been lifted slightly with the Owen signing but we aren't the attraction we were when we got to the second group stage of the Champions League.

I believe Hitzfeld wouldn't take the job in a million years, even if we put forward an excellent financial package.  Maybe when Souness was appointed the job would have been attractive stature wise but our low finish last season has dented our reputation somewhat.

It may have been lifted slightly with the Owen signing but we aren't the attraction we were when we got to the second group stage of the Champions League.

44087[/snapback]

must admit that scenario hadn't occured to me.......Souness to blame for not even getting a replacement for him eh :)

Don't you reckon that a manager of his calibre would still see us an ideal opportunity to manage in the premiership then with a club that would give him a great chance of being successful - that's how I would sell it anyway

I believe Hitzfeld wouldn't take the job in a million years, even if we put forward an excellent financial package.  Maybe when Souness was appointed the job would have been attractive stature wise but our low finish last season has dented our reputation somewhat.

44087[/snapback]

must admit that scenario hadn't occured to me.......Souness to blame for not even getting a replacement for him eh :)

Don't you reckon that a manager of his calibre would still see us an ideal opportunity to manage in the premiership then with a club that would give him a great chance of being successful - that's how I would sell it anyway

44098[/snapback]

yup most definately, and it would be a challenge for the man which i no doubt think he'd succeed in, just if he's up for it so to speak

Fred doesn't really even need to say it, this club with the money we spend and the players we have has to qualify for europe or its failure, no question.

Ideally it should be qualifying for the CL but the uefa is a minimum.

44082[/snapback]

aye. And as for his replacement, instead of just saying "anybody" Meenzer or Icegrim [can't remember which] have convinced me Hitzfeld is our man as for various reasons the other top candidates may be a problem

44084[/snapback]

And I agree with them about Hirtzfeld. I was under the impression he was available when inexplicably Shepherd said he wanted a British manager and we ended up with bloody Souness. But the mans record is impressive. He's taken over at similarly underperforming clubs and made them title winners.

And I agree with them about Hirtzfeld. I was under the impression he was available when inexplicably Shepherd said he wanted a British manager and we ended up with bloody Souness. But the mans record is impressive. He's taken over at similarly underperforming clubs and made them title winners.

44178[/snapback]

they also said he manages players by gaining their respect ... he handled players who were mouthy, gobby, temperamental .. and they played for him

Ref the thread about "Fred"...I hope he is reading all these forums and taking notice of us fans for when the time comes ..

Edited by LeazesMag

I actually believe the club is a more attractive proposition for top foreign coaches now, than it was 15 months ago.

Coaches looking in this time last year would have seen one or two good players, and a bunch of English youngsters they hadn't heard of.

Now though, they see Boumsong, Babayaro, Luque, Emre, Parker, Solano & Owen, who are well-known in European football.

44071[/snapback]

SOURCE???????? :):):yes