St James’ soap opera

ohhh_yeah

Fans have to be realistic over St James’ soap opera

Sep 4 2008 Liverpool Daily Post

THE managerial hokey-cokey at Newcastle United is only waiting for Kevin Keegan to shake it all about.

And, to be honest, we’d love it, just love it, if he did.

While it is unbecoming of columnists to point out the rare occasions when events match their predictions, there was an inevitability from the moment Keegan was appointed in January that the St James’ Park soap opera would serve up a cliffhanger which would end in tears.

Back in those heady days, Newcastle fans believed Champions League football seemed just a season away (Manchester City fans take note). That, of course, was before they got Wise.

The club’s transfer policy has long been a mess – Lee Bowyer and Joey Barton are just two examples of time bombs brought willingly and expensively into the home dressing room – while the closest the club has come to major silverware in recent times was lifting the Intertoto Cup.

But criticism of Mike Ashley is misplaced and the fans should now reflect that they got exactly what they wished for.

All fans think that what their club needs, at least in the days before Arab oil sheikhs and Russian billionaires, was a mega-rich fan who was happy to mix with supporters and wear his shirt to the games.

The cry is always for someone who understands the passion, the emotion of the sport rather than a cold beancounter who is after making a profit.

Except businessmen recognise that the best way of making a profit is to create a successful club. They also don’t allow managers to spend eye-watering amounts of cash on a whim without scrutiny from the board.

It is unrealistic for fans to expect the situation to be any different. It might be clear now that Mike Ashley is not the saviour for Newcastle but the second coming of Keegan the manager was never likely to produce miracles either.

Chelsea, seen as the modern-day overnight success, built strong foundations under the management of Glenn Hoddle, Gianluca Vialli and Claudio Ranieri before Roman Abramovich came along.

It may lack the romanticism that many fans dream of, but football dreams are usually built on years of steady progression and development and not the quick fix of a fans’ favourite.

They're not accountable. They can write anything they feel like and never have to stand up and be counted.

While they may occasionally convince themselves that they're contributing to society in some way, deep down I'm sure they realise they're talking loud and saying nothing.

Chelsea, seen as the modern-day overnight success, built strong foundations under the management of Glenn Hoddle, Gianluca Vialli and Claudio Ranieri before Roman Abramovich came along.

I hate this :lol:

Yes lets rewrite history shall we. Chelsea did ok, and got lucky a few times to win some stuff (which every team always needs, and we never get), but really they did not do better than Newcastle until Abramovich.

And frankly Abramovich's money could have done the same thing to many other clubs, it just might have taken a season or two longer (Man City will get there IF they throw enough sustained money at them too).

If we actually won something I think 50% of sports journalists would hang themselves in fear of actually having to think of something new to write about (although it would probably be the same old guff with "except the Whatever Cup" tagged on.

Come on lads, that is how a lot of fans of other clubs will be thinking....except the Chelsea bit. :lol:

Clueless :jerkit:s will like yourself but anyone who has an understanding of the unique place that is Tyneside will know there's a sensational amount of bollocks in that article. Like this....

Back in those heady days*, Newcastle fans believed Champions League football seemed just a season away (Manchester City fans take note). That, of course, was before they got Wise.

*When Keegan came in January

Nearly every Newcastle fan I know accepted regardless of KK's presence that if we were incredibly lucky it would take a minimum of 3 or 4 years before we could even think about challenging for a CL placing.

Couldn't get past the first couple of lines. Shows we're not a big club though.

Truly emphasises it I'm sure there'd be double page spreads on West Ham/Spurs/Villa type clubs in Merseyside publications.

Nearly every Newcastle fan I know accepted regardless of KK's presence that if we were incredibly lucky it would take a minimum of 3 or 4 years before we could even think about challenging for a CL placing.

Unfortunatly all the rest of us have to go on is the 3K idiots outside Sid James' claiming that you are going to win the league on SSN.

At least you dont have the media claiming you are next in line to crack the big four, then when you dont, claim it was the fans who said it all along.

Back in those heady days, Newcastle fans believed Champions League football seemed just a season away.

There's nothing like a huge sweeping fabrication to give an article the distinct scent of bollocks.

Unfortunatly all the rest of us have to go on is the 3K idiots outside Sid James' claiming that you are going to win the league on SSN.

At least you dont have the media claiming you are next in line to crack the big four, then when you dont, claim it was the fans who said it all along.

I know but no one really cares about you do they if your honest, I mean on a national scale, it might become a phrase of mine wghile you're here, truly the attitude is "ah so fuck its only Tottenham no one cares", and I know you understand what I mean.

DannyB hanging about here shows the same. He'd never admit it like.

Honestly, delusions of grandeur. I find the situation amusing, not in the slightest bit interesting.

I am more interested in how some on here appear to be enjoying the media attention because of the infighting. We're a big club because the media are reporting our demise...WOO HOO. Its like masochism and exhibitionism rolled into one. Strange.

Edited by Danny B

I know but no one really cares about you do they if your honest, I mean on a national scale, it might become a phrase of mine wghile you're here, truly the attitude is "ah so fuck its only Tottenham no one cares", and I know you understand what I mean.

As I said this thread disproves that, the Ramos / Jol situation got just as much press but unlike you lot we weren't bathing in the sunlight of getting a bit of attention.

Honestly, delusions of grandeur. I find the situation amusing, not in the slightest bit interesting.

I am more interested in how some on here appear to be enjoying the media attention because of the infighting. We're a big club because the media are reporting our demise...WOO HOO. Its like masachism and exhibitionism rolled into one. Strange.

Aye, of course you do Daniel. As believable as everything else that you spout. And no one is enjoying the media attention. Exactly like you to completely misinterpret things though.

I am more interested in how some on here appear to be enjoying the media attention because of the infighting. We're a big club because the media are reporting our demise...WOO HOO. Its like masachism and exhibitionism rolled into one. Strange.

No one is enjoying it you arsehole, I just think it demonstrates the difference and scale of our two respective clubs. A UFO could land on the pitch at WHL during a North London derby, Shergar, Lord Lucan and Bill Nicholson could jump out on to the pitch, and it would receive less media attention than we're receiving. You know deep down it bugs you if you're honest. You're just plain old Tottenham who no one notices, and clearly we're not.

As I said this thread disproves that, the Ramos / Jol situation got just as much press but unlike you lot we weren't bathing in the sunlight of getting a bit of attention.

What a truly delusional dickhead. It was barely noticed.

Edited by Stevie

You can keep saying it but it wont make ot true Stevie, the fishs laugh at Tottenham thread proves you wrong.

I know you don't believe half of the stuff you post on here so its fine. You have become a charicature of yourself. A brash swearing, slightly r@cist, one eyed toon.

I am sure you aren't like that in the flesh.

You can keep saying it but it wont make ot true Stevie, the fishs laugh at Tottenham thread proves you wrong.

I know you don't believe half of the stuff you post on here so its fine. You have become a charicature of yourself. A brash swearing, slightly r@cist, one eyed toon.

That was a piss-take man. Thick as mince.

You really are incredibly dense. I've told you a million times I look at you like a Charlton Athletic, I've got plenty reason to think that, I find your fans new arrogance hilarious, but deep down you know your place. I am exactly the same in the flesh mate, probably more diplomatic, but I would stand in front of you in a pub explaining how you're a nothing club, no problem at all. You would listen and laugh and go "yeah weww ah fink you might av a point theyah mite"

Edited by Stevie

You really are incredibly dense. I've told you a million times I look at you like a Charlton Athletic, I've got plenty reason to think that, I find your fans new arrogance hilarious, but deep down you know your place. I am exactly the same in the flesh mate, probably more diplomatic, but I would stand in front of you in a pub explaining how you're a nothing club, no problem at all. You would listen and laugh and go "yeah weww ah fink you might av a point theyah mite"

Stevie, we have won more, we have a better team and better fans. You didnt even sell out your first home game of the season.

Its like a mantra for you...we are a big club, we are a big club..but the fact is you are not.

Fact is:

Mancs

Pool

@rse

Spurs

Villa

Everton

Are all bigger clubs than the toon.