Kevin Keegan Resigns as manager

Scottish Mag

Keegan still wants to manage Newcastle United

Sep 3 2008 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

KEVIN KEEGAN still wants to manage Newcastle United

That is the word from the Keegan camp today.

A source close to the United boss told me: “Kevin still wants the job. Make no mistake about that. But he would like to be able to buy his own players.

“If he was allowed to bring in his own players and he failed he would be the first to hold his hands up.

“He has always bought flair players and players who can get people off their seats.

“You just have to look at what he did at Manchester City.

“The reason they are in the Premier League now is because Kevin brought in both Sylvain Distin and Nicolas Anelka. These were two masterstrokes.”

The latest United crisis is attracting attention from throughout the whole of the football world.

And nowhere more so than in India where billionaire Anil Ambani and his Reliance group are still more than interested in buying Mike Ashley out.

My information is that Reliance are still ready to put a £275m offer on the table for Newcastle United."

please be true bout reliance

Question is, would Keegan still be here by the time they took over? And if he was would they keep him?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A source close to the United boss told me: “Kevin still wants the job. Make no mistake about that. But he would like to be able to buy his own players.

“If he was allowed to bring in his own players and he failed he would be the first to hold his hands up.

“He has always bought flair players and players who can get people off their seats.

“The reason they are in the Premier League now is because Kevin brought in both Sylvain Distin and Nicolas Anelka. These were two masterstrokes.”

The latest United crisis is attracting attention from throughout the whole of the football world.

And nowhere more so than in India where billionaire Anil Ambani and his Reliance group are still more than interested in buying Mike Ashley out.

My information is that Reliance are still ready to put a £275m offer on the table for Newcastle United."

Question is, would Keegan still be here by the time they took over? And if he was would they keep him?

if they want the fans on their side i think keegan would have to be there

By the way, after this season doesn't Keegan only have one more year on a contract he's said he won't be extending even if he does stay?

Of the two, Ashley is the one with the (apparent) long term commitment to the club, should he really bow to Keegans every whim on player recruitment when he'll be gone in 2 years guaranteed? Ashley can only assume that Keegan is looking for a short term fix and will leave the club with a squad of expensive old men who he can get no value back from.

Taking Devil's advocate to the extremes there like!

By the way, after this season doesn't Keegan only have one more year on a contract he's said he won't be extending even if he does stay?

Of the two, Ashley is the one with the (apparent) long term commitment to the club, should he really bow to Keegans every whim on player recruitment when he'll be gone in 2 years guaranteed? Ashley can only assume that Keegan is looking for a short term fix and will leave the club with a squad of expensive old men who he can get no value back from.

Loaded statements from you there HP? You do KK a great disservice.

A man does what he must - in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures - and that is the basis of all human morality.

John F. Kennedy

if they want the fans on their side i think keegan would have to be there

Aye, I think this whole affair would show any prospective buyer the way to go with the manager.

Taking Devil's advocate to the extremes there like!

Valid point though.

Was 3 years and then retirement....... but I guess it would depend on how things were going... would Keegan stay if he were enjoying it and we were progressing? I think he might.

He has two more years after this doesn't he?

Just trying to look at it from Ashley's point of view.

The bloke does have a fifth of his wealth tied up in the club. :lol:

one whole fifth wow...shows he is really commited

You do love your billionaires. :D

I don't know.

I thought it was 3 seasons including last. Was it 3 seasons after last?

I'm pretty sure it was a 3 and a half year deal. (the remains of the season plus three more)

The Keegan veneration is getting silly like.

The bloke's walked out on us after 8 months. And he's decided to wait and martyr himself on the last day of the transfer window rather than months ago when he was (allegedly) seething at the club letting Modric go.

Hope he stays, but at least question what's gone on rather than assuming Wise ordered him to suck his cock and enjoy it.

Mainly by Parky tbf :lol:

I think it's fair to say that something (or things) happened very recently that were the final straw for the bloke. I sincerely believe he's acting with the fans best interests at heart too. I'm completely unconvinced the others are doing the same.

I will stand with him. No worries. I have no doubt he was with us....to the end...

I agree, I don't think he had any allies once Mort went either. None with any influence anyway.

I think we are beginning to realise what a decent man Mort was.

Its not a question of deceny, think its a question of politics. I posted this on NO last night, dont have muc time today so havent edited it for this thread but you'll get the gist as alex has already said virtually the same thing earlier on in this thread.

A lot of the new structure makes sense. However, a lot of the success of this club comes from a having a strong connection between the fans and a figurehead who we can get behind and believe in. To run this club successfully you need to understand this. The appointment of Keegan has been far more important than they thought, as over time this began to change the power structure within the club. A manager adored by the fans knows that he has them on his side, as we have seen today. If the judgement on a key issue were to be made public, a face off between Keegan and Ashley would only go one way. Keegan knows this.

This has been about a battle between the system that Keegan wants and the one that has been set in place. Keegan may be right to challenge it but because of his pay-off clauses, he cant do much about it other than get the club to see how much the fans connect with him and support. Today has been useful for his cause.

The real point of this post was Chris Mort though, hence the comment above. Chris sold the nuances of the structure to Kevin, in the areas that are not covered by contracts. In Chris's mind i am absolutely sure that his vision incorporated Keegan at the heart of the transfer period and decisions on players. However, since Chris has left, there is no one to ensure this is exactly how the process works. The minutae of decision making is rarely in a contract.

Now, take a look at the characters left. Property dealer, Agent and 'Wite the feem toon, sing the feem toon'. Then this manager of Fifty, the private club in London. In any organisation with money and power at stake, these sorts start grabbing at it straightaway. I think the real problem is that Ashley's lack of total hands on leadership created Keegan problems with those he shared power with. Hardly surprising if they dont even share an office.

If some more foreign guys come in we may as well kiss the EPL goodbye tbh

I admire your optimism that we haven't already

Global brand, Global owners, fans not needed anymore, only consumers of the product (who will sit quietly and behave), clubs are vehicles for business promotion.

Football is more alive than it's ever been (from a financial standpoint) but equally football as what it was is dead.

What we are moving towards is an English version of the NFL. In fact we are very close to being there already. I'm just waiting for relegation/promotion to be a thing of the past.

It almost is in a way.

Very true. All of the wealthy clubs stay as they are while the others simply go up and down amongst themselves never threatening to break into the elite.

There is no real elite in the NFL, and it's way more open than the EPL

ALL revenue is equally shared and to me the best thing is the salary cap and the way transfers (free agency) works

The bloke does have a fifth of his wealth tied up in the club. :D

one whole fifth wow...shows he is really commited

8 times more than Abramovich has risked. :lol:

I don't know.

I'm pretty sure it was a 3 and a half year deal. (the remains of the season plus three more)

:lol:

You do love your billionaires. :D

All part of the healing process my friend.

People have to be behind Ashley as well as Keegan to get past these problems.

The bloke's walked out on us after 8 months. And he's decided to wait and martyr himself on the last day of the transfer window rather than months ago when he was (allegedly) seething at the club letting Modric go.

Hope he stays, but at least question what's gone on rather than assuming Wise ordered him to suck his cock and enjoy it.

I think it's fair to say that something (or things) happened very recently that were the final straw for the bloke. I sincerely believe he's acting with the fans best interests at heart too. I'm completely unconvinced the others are doing the same.

I will stand with him. No worries. I have no doubt he was with us....to the end...

I agree, I don't think he had any allies once Mort went either. None with any influence anyway.

Its not a question of deceny, think its a question of politics. I posted this on NO last night, dont have muc time today so havent edited it for this thread but you'll get the gist as alex has already said virtually the same thing earlier on in this thread.

A lot of the new structure makes sense. However, a lot of the success of this club comes from a having a strong connection between the fans and a figurehead who we can get behind and believe in. To run this club successfully you need to understand this. The appointment of Keegan has been far more important than they thought, as over time this began to change the power structure within the club. A manager adored by the fans knows that he has them on his side, as we have seen today. If the judgement on a key issue were to be made public, a face off between Keegan and Ashley would only go one way. Keegan knows this.

This has been about a battle between the system that Keegan wants and the one that has been set in place. Keegan may be right to challenge it but because of his pay-off clauses, he cant do much about it other than get the club to see how much the fans connect with him and support. Today has been useful for his cause.

The real point of this post was Chris Mort though, hence the comment above. Chris sold the nuances of the structure to Kevin, in the areas that are not covered by contracts. In Chris's mind i am absolutely sure that his vision incorporated Keegan at the heart of the transfer period and decisions on players. However, since Chris has left, there is no one to ensure this is exactly how the process works. The minutae of decision making is rarely in a contract.

Now, take a look at the characters left. Property dealer, Agent and 'Wite the feem toon, sing the feem toon'. Then this manager of Fifty, the private club in London. In any organisation with money and power at stake, these sorts start grabbing at it straightaway. I think the real problem is that Ashley's lack of total hands on leadership created Keegan problems with those he shared power with. Hardly surprising if they dont even share an office.

Spot on as usual Ringo. :D

I have no doubt if KK comes back it is cause he has won the tools he feels he needs to deliver. I trust him on this implicitly.

Listen to the man, he speaks a lot of sense (yesterday as well).

Chez for chairman.

As others have said ite 3 years.

You also assume that Ashle's committment is as stated and not as "loose" as the for sale stories suggest.

I also don't think theres evidence that Keegan's "instant" players would necessarily be old - see the alleged interest in Warnock, Lennon and Schweinsteiger.

I'd also argue that one good UEFA/CL run would get more back than say a doubling of his money on Xisco as an example.

Listen to the man, he speaks a lot of sense (yesterday as well).

Chez for chairman.

You've got to hand it to him, it makes a lot of sense.

I don't know.

Signed a 3½ year contract in January IIRC.