Steve McClaren sacked as Newcastle United 'Head Coach' (Manager)

Tooj

if we lose to bournemouth he's got to go.

he arguably should be gone already.

I can't see where there's any argument. I've stuck up for him for a long time but the fact is we've spend around £80m on the team for him and we're worse off than we were. He has to take a large portion of the blame for that,

I can't see where there's any argument. I've stuck up for him for a long time but the fact is we've spend around £80m on the team for him and we're worse off than we were. He has to take a large portion of the blame for that,

yeah, i don't think it would have been beyond the pale for him to have already been axed. i guess that if we win against bournemouth there's an outside chance, no matter how slim, that we might gain some momentum. we have to win on saturday though. anything less and his position is pretty much untenable.

There's an argument just to that statement , saying we've spent around 80 mil on the team FOR him. I doubt this is the case, all managers who leave tell stories of being made to play certain people at certain times and being pushed players. Shelvey and Townsend are the only signings that go against the norm, so that's probably his two signings .

For me, its a bit like a new government taking over from an old - he's inherited a team down on morale, fucked over with shitty managers and expected within half a season to turn it around with 3 new first teamers and no cover for defence at all. I'm not saying I think he's the greatest manager, I never have, but it's so harsh of the fanbase to be on him like this after so little time.

It just adds to the "geordies have unrealistic expectations" stereotype; and given the response to losing 1 -0 to stoke away (not a shit stoke team either, and we hardly ever beat them), I'm seeing that on this forum too.

I know the teams shite, I know the owners shite and the manager is not the greatest - I don't know why anyone expects anything positive from the club after so many years under Ashley. Sure lets change our manager, and get even further in the mire.

The only manager change I've agreed with is McClaren from Carver - every single other one has been a downward step. Why does anyone think getting rid of McClaren will be a good thing? It boggles my fuckin mind man.

That more or less sums up my current stance as well. Still very worried about who his replacement would be mind.

The thing is though, McClaren shouldn't be sacked because of the Bournemouth game. To a certain extent it's irrelevant. You don't sack a manager because of one game, you sack a manager because you've lost faith in him. The board obviously feel that McClaren can get is out of trouble. Really shows the lack of football knowledge on the board.

There's an argument just to that statement , saying we've spent around 80 mil on the team FOR him. I doubt this is the case, all managers who leave tell stories of being made to play certain people at certain times and being pushed players. Shelvey and Townsend are the only signings that go against the norm, so that's probably his two signings .

For me, its a bit like a new government taking over from an old - he's inherited a team down on morale, fucked over with shitty managers and expected within half a season to turn it around with 3 new first teamers and no cover for defence at all. I'm not saying I think he's the greatest manager, I never have, but it's so harsh of the fanbase to be on him like this after so little time.

It just adds to the "geordies have unrealistic expectations" stereotype; and given the response to losing 1 -0 to stoke away (not a shit stoke team either, and we hardly ever beat them), I'm seeing that on this forum too.

I know the teams shite, I know the owners shite and the manager is not the greatest - I don't know why anyone expects anything positive from the club after so many years under Ashley. Sure lets change our manager, and get even further in the mire.

The only manager change I've agreed with is McClaren from Carver - every single other one has been a downward step. Why does anyone think getting rid of McClaren will be a good thing? It boggles my fuckin mind man.

Basically we have more players than last season. Gini, Mitro, Mbemba at very least have come in without us losing anyone. My expectations aren't unrealistic to think that McClaren should be able to improve on last season with that. But we've been in the bottom three almost all season. And now we're more likely to go down than stay up. Yes he's inherited a squad low on confidence and the club has a losing mentality from top to bottom, but there's no getting away from his failure. He's got less out of more. And the previous management got little enough as it was.

I still feel a decent manager could get this squad mid table. McClaren is proving himself not to be a decent manager.

Kinnear to Shearer wasn't a decision though was it? Kinnear nearly croaked and they had fuck all option, Shearer jumped to the rescue and got bummed for it.

Fair enough reply DK , it's a difference of opinion though - I'm not sure the team is better for buying 1 defender when we need 3 or 4 really.

WORSE: Colo is worse than last year, Krul is fucked, Mbemba has been fucked a few games, Taylors just come back to co-incide , Colback is worse than Tiote , I could go on but wont waffle on.

Gini is a good signing, as is Mitro .

It's a question of the squad for me, the first team , if everyone's fit, maybe better on paper - but the reality is the squad is thinner than it was in Defence and goal. We've been up shit creek without a paddle because he didn't have a first or second choice keeper for 2 games, we've got basically 4 defenders on the books that are premiership standard - and have injuries among them.

I just cant see many opportunities we've had to field strong defenders , midfield and 2 up front for the entire season. When we have, we've done ok.

Sounds so much like excuses I know, but I just do think Ashley and co fucked us right up with no defender bought. There's no footballing logic in our squad, theres just money making - thus the saleable midfielders. Did we really need 2 more midfielders over a defence this window? I like them, but fuck me I'd rather we had 2 decent CB a LB and cover for the RB, not to mention a striker.

Edited by scoobos

Kinnear to Shearer wasn't a decision though was it? Kinnear nearly croaked and they had fuck all option, Shearer jumped to the rescue and got bummed for it.

Also wasn't an improvement. The improvement was the change to Hughton. That was luck though.

But again sticking with the same shite because we're scared of them making another mistake isn't the answer. It's the defeatist thinking that Ashley has pushed onto us.

Fair enough reply DK , it's a difference of opinion though - I'm not sure the team is better for buying 1 defender when we need 3 or 4 really.

WORSE: Colo is worse than last year, Krul is fucked, Mbemba has been fucked a few games, Taylors just come back to co-incide , Colback is worse than Tiote , I could go on but wont waffle on.

Gini is a good signing, as is Mitro .

It's a question of the squad for me, the first team , if everyone's fit, maybe better on paper - but the reality is the squad is thinner than it was in Defence and goal. We've been up shit creek without a paddle because he didn't have a first or second choice keeper for 2 games, we've got basically 4 defenders on the books that are premiership standard - and have injuries among them.

I just cant see many opportunities we've had to field strong defenders , midfield and 2 up front for the entire season. When we have, we've done ok.

Sounds so much like excuses I know, but I just do think Ashley and co fucked us right up with no defender bought. There's no footballing logic in our squad, theres just money making - thus the saleable midfielders. Did we really need 2 more midfielders over a defence this window? I like them, but fuck me I'd rather we had 2 decent CB a LB and cover for the RB, not to mention a striker.

No, I mean we went from Kinnear/Shearer from the season before. Shearer being the latter, we gave the job to Houghton which was a positive switch

No, I mean we went from Kinnear/Shearer from the season before. Shearer being the latter, we gave the job to Houghton which was a positive switch

Not at the time it wasn't. It was promoting a club coach into a position that he had little to zero experience of, taking the cheap/easy option that we've since become accustomed to.

I hear you DK, I do mate, I just have lost this really, in the last season and seeing the fans bay at a Manager who I think has made us play a better style at most times. Your defeatist is my just seeing it how I think it is.

I KNOW that Ashley is fucking my club, that's the one thing I do know. But hes done it for years and years now - so I have no reason to think that they are going to start making good decisions, its a downward spiral to me.

Ok, I'm miles away, when AshleyOut started, I got more optimistic; but to me it just looked like "awww the stewards took our banners away" , how injust! And then really just a bit of fannying on.

It should be a defeaning chorus of Anti-Ashley chants, with singers buying tickets in each section to get them going. They can't take peoples voices away and there's 40,000 regular fans in there - why isn't it?

It pissed me off to see some of the stuff on the Stoke thread , with people baying at McClaren. Why cant we just for weeks on end send a strong vocal message to the media and apply pressure on what we really need to change, instead of what we're doing to an alright bloke , a good coach, trying to turn the squad around. He didn't inherit a winning team, we were fucked and much of Pard's style of shit play was just starting to wear off when he arrived.

Oh god I'm ranting.

Edited by scoobos

Not at the time it wasn't. It was promoting a club coach into a position that he had little to zero experience of, taking the cheap/easy option that we've since become accustomed to.

Right fair enough mate I see what you mean now, it turned out to be a positive switch but at the time it was a huge gamble

I hear you DK, I do mate, I just have lost this really, in the last season and seeing the fans bay at a Manager who I think has made us play a better style at most times. Your defeatist is my just seeing it how I think it is.

I KNOW that Ashley is fucking my club, that's the one thing I do know. But hes done it for years and years now - so I have no reason to think that they are going to start making good decisions, its a downward spiral to me.

Ok, I'm miles away, when AshleyOut started, I got more optimistic; but to me it just looked like "awww the stewards took our banners away" , how injust! And then really just a bit of fannying on.

It should be a defeaning chorus of Anti-Ashley chants, with singers buying tickets in each section to get them going. They can't take peoples voices away and there's 40,000 regular fans in there - why isn't it?

It pissed me off to see some of the stuff on the Stoke thread , with people baying at McClaren. Why cant we just for weeks on end send a strong vocal message to the media and apply pressure on what we really need to change, instead of what we're doing to an alright bloke , a good coach, trying to turn the squad around. He didn't inherit a winning team, we were fucked and much of Pard's style of shit play was just starting to wear off when he arrived.

Oh god I'm ranting.

Unpopular opinion here but I don't necessarily want Ashley out

People will disagree but he bought this football club to make it successful, yes he wanted to promote sports direct but to a certain extent I don't mind that

Ashley has consistently put his money into the wrong people and that's we are where we are in the league.

If Ashley brought in a top manager (Moyes for example) let him have full control over transfers then I wouldn't have a problem with Ashley at all.

The problem is that he doesn't trust the manager, but has a ridiculous amount of trust in Charnley and Carr.

At the end of the day McClaren played Gouffran on Wednesday, played Aarons leftback at Chelsea, has played Perez as a lone striker, has stuck with two defensive midfielders all season, has played Gini wide left, refused to give Thauvin a chance, has kept Colo as captain. Yes we've clearly not addressed the areas of the squad that needed it but he made all those choices I've just mentioned. He could have played two up front. He could have played another defender against Chelsea, he could have stopped playing Anita and Colback together etc. The squad is not what it should be and you're right we haven't signed players for the right reasons but he's still had choices and repeatedly made the wrong ones. He's also blatantly failed to get the players fighting. Yes they're playing tidier football but it's still football that creates nothing. How many goals have we scored away from home? Only villa have scored less than us. What is the reason for this? It's because (very similar to Pardew) he's far too defensive I his thinking. Gini gets nowhere near the box away from home. Is that because he doesn't want to? No it has to be the instructions he's working to. His appointment has been a massive error that should have been rectified before the 18 day break at the very latest. I no faith that it will now. Charnley will probably stick with him even when we go down.

You could have used that post, albeit with different players, at any point in the last 4 years and it would have fit.

Ashley's doing the club no favours, he's helping his cronies and leeching this club to death. yes it was good what he did straight after buying , but that was just to stabilise us financially and have a platform to build his business brands on. Which he has done magnificently , its selling lots of his brands.