Steve McClaren sacked as Newcastle United 'Head Coach' (Manager)

Tooj

I keep hearing he's a great technical coach but I think it's all a bit emperor's new clothes for me. He's came in and we've been at the bottom end of the league from day one. I'm not laying all our problems at his door by any stretch, but he would've been out on his ear under any other owner, (assuming they'd have hired him in the first place). You can't keep judging managers by Pardew's standard or even Carver's as these broke all kinds of the wrong records.

But any former owner would have probably let him pick his own players. People keep mentioning how much money "he's" spent, but I'm guessing he had little to do with most of the summer incomings or the gaps that remained.

Yes, I know he signed up to that, but if there has been a sea change in recruitment, let's see what he can do with it.

I quite like his genuine passion during a game as well. He quite often mirrors my facial expressions during a game :lol:

You can't just keep changing manager. Time to give him another full season, hopefully with continued backing and more of a say over players and let's see where he gets us.

Not having a top finisher has fucked us this season which has lead to a lot of the tinkering.

I think he'll come good.

Pardew was the 2nd longest serving manager in the division when he left.

Pardew was the 2nd longest serving manager in the division when he left.

That says more about other clubs than us though and might suggest why the league seems to be all over the place. All the time you see so called "better" managers get a gig and it doesn't work out.

Each to their own, but I just think if we give him the right tools and allow him to manage from the front foot rather than the back, he will do well.

No it doesn't. He was our third longest serving manager in 40 years.

Of course it does. Is it good that during such a short time every club bar Arsenal changed their manager?

Interesting to note how many of those changes actually improved things.

Putting all that aside, I still think with the right tools he'll do a decent job.

That says more about other clubs than us though and might suggest why the league seems to be all over the place. All the time you see so called "better" managers get a gig and it doesn't work out.

Each to their own, but I just think if we give him the right tools and allow him to manage from the front foot rather than the back, he will do well.

Nah, that argument holds little water. Plenty clubs have changed manager loads more than us and had more success in recent years. Also, this is the first year in decades the league has been this unpredictable whereas managerial changes are hardly a new thing so there's no correlation there. The extra TV money making for a more level playing field seems like a much more probable explanation. As Ewerk alludes to, stability for the sake of it is more likely to by a sign of a lack of ambition and a club stagnating, especially if no tangible benefit appears. Whatever you think of Pardew I don't think you could argue it didn't go stale well before he left (arguably, probably undeniably, other factors were at play too i concede). Not saying give the manager the bullet now because I think that could easily make things worse, especially given the nuggets in charge, but McClaren has a canny poor track record imo and he's done fuck all to enhance his rep since coming here.

As for the right tools, I read somewhere we spent more than the entire Bundesliga in the last window :lol:

You know what I'm saying though. IF there has been a sea change and the manager is going to have more leeway in transfers than previously, then it's quite possible that McLaren will do well next season.

This season we've struggled by not having a quality centre forward and no creative midfielder. That's lead to very poor performances / results, a manager trying to shuffle what he's got to change results and the lack of confidence that floods through the club when this all happens.

If we can stay up and the sea change continues then I think we will have a pretty decent team next August.

Hopefully Carrs stock has fallen, McLaren has persuaded Ashley of the error of his ways and everything will be rosey next season.

one thing we haven't been done recently is chop and change. doesn't mean we shouldn't give mcclaren a bit of time though. there are some signs there that he might be capable of turning it around.

Nah, that argument holds little water. Plenty clubs have changed manager loads more than us and had more success in recent years. Also, this is the first year in decades the league has been this unpredictable whereas managerial changes are hardly a new thing so there's no correlation there. The extra TV money making for a more level playing field seems like a much more probable explanation. As Ewerk alludes to, stability for the sake of it is more likely to by a sign of a lack of ambition and a club stagnating, especially if no tangible benefit appears. Whatever you think of Pardew I don't think you could argue it didn't go stale well before he left (arguably, probably undeniably, other factors were at play too i concede). Not saying give the manager the bullet now because I think that could easily make things worse, especially given the nuggets in charge, but McClaren has a canny poor track record imo and he's done fuck all to enhance his rep since coming here.

it's a mixed CV, but his experience in holland was pretty impressive. who was our last title winning manager before him? daglish?

You know what I'm saying though. IF there has been a sea change and the manager is going to have more leeway in transfers than previously, then it's quite possible that McLaren will do well next season.

This season we've struggled by not having a quality centre forward and no creative midfielder. That's lead to very poor performances / results, a manager trying to shuffle what he's got to change results and the lack of confidence that floods through the club when this all happens.

If we can stay up and the sea change continues then I think we will have a pretty decent team next August.

Hopefully Carrs stock has fallen, McLaren has persuaded Ashley of the error of his ways and everything will be rosey next season.

I would like to see him do well obviously, I just don't get the optimism. I would say Gloom's assessment of his CV is generous. He's had 7 jobs including this one post-England. You could only say he's done well in one of them. Basically sums up the club hierarchy that we even went after him.

Edited by Alex

what was it leazesmag used to call him? the scottish fuckpig, or something wasn't it? :lol:

Despite him saying he'd always liked him on his howaythetoon board just after he was appointed. He then went on to continually blame Gemmill for the appointment whilst exonerating the club hierarchy :lol:

I would like to see him do well obviously, I just don't get the optimism. I would say Gloom's assessment of his CV is generous. He's had 7 jobs including this one post-England. You could only say he's done well in one of them. Basically sums up the club hierarchy that we even went after him.

i think it's mainly to do with the fact he has at least tried to get us playing football again, unlike his immediate predecessors.

i'd say it's a mixed CV. of course you're right that he's achieved little post-england other than his first spell at twente but he has a good reputation from his time prior to that at man u and derby - he even won a trophy at boro and got them to the uefa cup final.

there are better managers out there, clearly, but when you look at some of the other appointments ashley has made, he looks like one of the better ones.

i think it's mainly to do with the fact he has at least tried to get us playing football again, unlike his immediate predecessors.

i'd say it's a mixed CV. of course you're right that he's achieved little post-england other than his first spell at twente but he has a good reputation from his time prior to that at man u and derby - he even won a trophy at boro and got them to the uefa cup final.

there are better managers out there, clearly, but when you look at some of the other appointments ashley has made, he looks like one of the better ones.

Good rep as a coach without a doubt. Apples and Oranges though

yeah, that's what i think he is - a decent technical coach with perhaps the lack of tactical nous or personality to make it as a top manager.

would have been a good number two, alongside a more experienced manager. the club should have re-sent hitzfeld that dossier.

He's the only manager to win a trophy for Boro and he took them to a European final. Surely that must count as a sucess?

I don't think he's a great manager like and I agree with Alex that it's only us who would have considered him at this stage, but I have enjoyed watching us under him(even in some of the defeats) more than I was in the last few years under Pardew.

He's the only manager to win a trophy for Boro and he took them to a European final. Surely that must count as a sucess?

I don't think he's a great manager like and I agree with Alex that it's only us who would have considered him at this stage, but I have enjoyed watching us under him(even in some of the defeats) more than I was in the last few years under Pardew.

I agree with this. Also, I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt a bit more than I would have been with Pards, Carver, Souness etc because he seems like a decent enough bloke, in contrast to some of the others who have darkened or doors in recent years. And it might be wishful thinking but by and large we seem to be better coached, and despite the odd debacle and a number of underwhelming away performances it seems to me that he is trying to instil a possession style of football that we might be able to build on over the next few years.

We know that there is definitely a negative mentality in the club, from the top down, and I think that has a lot to do with the type of pea-hearted surrenders we've seen in countless games over the last few years, but I don't think any manager could be expected to change that - KK realised it sharpish, and if he couldn't get the toon thinking positively then noone can. We've had 8 more years of malaise and pretty much constant decline since then, to the point that Mclaren was probably the best we could have hoped for at the time he was appointed. Whether or not us splashing the cash in these last couple of windows might convince someone better to come and give it a try is an interesting point, but that sort of investment needs to be sustained over a period of time before anyone really believes Ashley has any serious ambition for the club.

He's been shit. We have less points than, Bournemouth, Watford and Swansea. We're one point ahead of Norwich and have been in the bottom 3 for most of the last 4 month. For one good performance we have 2-3 bad ones. Nothing has improved despite £75 million spent. You's are just giving him the benefit of the doubt because he's not as big of a cock as Pardew or Carver.

And we were better than that before were we? And why all this banding about of 75 million - I can't understand why you expect instant results from new signings, no one gets that, with the best players in the world.

Look at Ozil at Arsenal, he's a phenomenal player and it took him 6 months, or how about that 100's of mil player that Man U had up front, who did sweet FA.

Edited by scoobos