Steve McClaren sacked as Newcastle United 'Head Coach' (Manager)

Tooj

At least we got the confirmation of the coaches from it. Nothing they say matters at all until the sign some players. This may well be just the start of an improved level of communication with the fans but no one (other than CT) will take it remotely serious until we see action on the transfer front. No one cares how difficult it actually is to sign players when they see pretty much every other club managing it and they see the squad (minus the player who saved us on the last day (and Raylor)) who almost got us relegated. Trust has to be earned and Ashley and co have no credit at the moment.

At least we got the confirmation of the coaches from it. Nothing they say matters at all until the sign some players. This may well be just the start of an improved level of communication with the fans but no one (other than CT) will take it remotely serious until we see action on the transfer front. No one cares how difficult it actually is to sign players when they see pretty much every other club managing it and they see the squad (minus the player who saved us on the last day (and Raylor)) who almost got us relegated. Trust has to be earned and Ashley and co have no credit at the moment.

This is a big issue for me, I can't see the argument for our club to wait. If we were, say, Man City, funded by someone with more money than God, we could see how everything else pans out, then just toss £200m to trump the opposition. If we're flat broke and Bournemouth sized, we could look to take advantage of players who didn't get the Premier League move they were hoping for, or player's who have seen their 1st team opportunities threatened by a new signing.

This is a big issue for me, I can't see the argument for our club to wait. If we were, say, Man City, funded by someone with more money than God, we could see how everything else pans out, then just toss £200m to trump the opposition. If we're flat broke and Bournemouth sized, we could look to take advantage of players who didn't get the Premier League move they were hoping for, or player's who have seen their 1st team opportunities threatened by a new signing.

The argument is that they want to get a great deal on every signing they make. Of course this is impossible when you ignore the needs of the team. We might be able to hang on and get someone cheap but chances are it'll end up not being the player we need so they won't perform well so it won't even be a good deal when we sell him because other teams will have seen how he's performed.

Too right DK. You'd think at 15 mil for Austin that already is good value! They are like the guy who tries to buy your car for 30% less than its advertised after turning up on the day saying he was bringing the asking price to buy it.

Austin, if he has 2 good seasons, will easily go for more.

Edited by scoobos

The argument is that they want to get a great deal on every signing they make. Of course this is impossible when you ignore the needs of the team. We might be able to hang on and get someone cheap but chances are it'll end up not being the player we need so they won't perform well so it won't even be a good deal when we sell him because other teams will have seen how he's performed.

So frustrating, isn't it. This club could easily be run in such a way that we're a genuine contender for the cups every season, and we could aim for the European spots every season. We could nurture the region's passion for football, coaching promising young lads into competent top flight footballers. Harness the "brand" and penetrate the US using ties to established brands over there.

So frustrating, isn't it. This club could easily be run in such a way that we're a genuine contender for the cups every season, and we could aim for the European spots every season. We could nurture the region's passion for football, coaching promising young lads into competent top flight footballers. Harness the "brand" and penetrate the US using ties to established brands over there.

I still don't believe Ashleys interested in any of that. It's all about Sports Direct for him.

Whatever happened to your optimism?

Whatever happened to your optimism?

I'm still "optimistic" because I'm certain we'll sign a few players, we won't get relegated and McClaren is a dramatic improvement on Pardiola.

I wish I was so certain, I was back in the day when we were promoted from the championship, but then he sacked Chris and its all been same old same old from there on in.

There is no hope imo, or any credible evidence to suggest optimism isn't just blind. Only an insane person sees the same actions and expects different results. But that's what being an optimistic toon fan requires nowadays, borderline insanity.

The thing I'm certain of, is that once Ashley dies or sells (probably not the latter) then things will get better and we might be a football club rather than a marketing business.