The Olympics

AbsolutKazakh

Also you have a regime that can pump billions into the funding for these games and doesn't have to answer questions about it to its population.

Guest Stevie
Yup, although equally it speaks volumes about the appalling state of UK athletics that she can be in an Olympic squad and not have full time funding. Compared to say Chinese competitors that have likely been doing nothing else but their event from birth. :icon_lol:

Aye, that's it. There'll be plenty of accusations of Chinese druggery when they top the medals table by a mile, and there'll undoubtedly be a few cases of that kind of thing, but by and large it's just a combination of sheer commitment, drive and funding (well, and fear :icon_lol:). Take the synchronised divers this morning, they were just a class above anything else the rest of the world had to offer. It's frightening, but then again, the biggest population in the world should be churning out that kind of athlete, I suppose.

I remember watching a documentary about some sport (I forget which now, I suspect it doesn't matter really) ages ago about the Chinese system, and how they had masses of recruits from a really early age and then basically whittled them down in a Darwinian fashion, but we're talking about 100's in each age group being supported for a decade or more. And by "supported" I mean that was their life, utterly.

Basically think of their Panda breeding program, then apply it to sports. :icon_lol:

The thing is in proper sports they're too small and weak to compete. It's a sad state of affairs when the most famous footballer your country has ever produced is Sun Ji Hai and the biggest prospect is called Dong. By small and weak I don't mean that in a racist way, I mean look at their fighting skills like karate and what not, what I mean is they are on the whole genetically inferior in terms of strength.

Yup, although equally it speaks volumes about the appalling state of UK athletics that she can be in an Olympic squad and not have full time funding. Compared to say Chinese competitors that have likely been doing nothing else but their event from birth. :icon_lol:

Aye, that's it. There'll be plenty of accusations of Chinese druggery when they top the medals table by a mile, and there'll undoubtedly be a few cases of that kind of thing, but by and large it's just a combination of sheer commitment, drive and funding (well, and fear :icon_lol:). Take the synchronised divers this morning, they were just a class above anything else the rest of the world had to offer. It's frightening, but then again, the biggest population in the world should be churning out that kind of athlete, I suppose.

I remember watching a documentary about some sport (I forget which now, I suspect it doesn't matter really) ages ago about the Chinese system, and how they had masses of recruits from a really early age and then basically whittled them down in a Darwinian fashion, but we're talking about 100's in each age group being supported for a decade or more. And by "supported" I mean that was their life, utterly.

Basically think of their Panda breeding program, then apply it to sports. :icon_lol:

The thing is in proper sports they're too small and weak to compete. It's a sad state of affairs when the most famous footballer your country has ever produced is Sun Ji Hai and the biggest prospect is called Dong. By small and weak I don't mean that in a racist way, I mean look at their fighting skills like karate and what not, what I mean is they are on the whole genetically inferior in terms of strength.

Don't think that's the case really. On average they might be smaller than white Europeans for example but I think there's so many of them that can be overcome. If they really pumped enough cash and resources into football they'd probably be quite good at it. Also, look at that basketball player in the NBA and they've also come on leaps and bounds in events they've targetted like rowing - where being small or weak is no good.

One of the good things about football though is that you can't just throw money and resources and technology etc. at it and suddenly be the best. A lot of it is about having enough kids playing with their mates etc. at a young enough age and learning skills that way - i.e. it's still a skills-based sport even if you do see a lot of 'athletes' in the game too.

Don't think that's the case really. On average they might be smaller than white Europeans for example but I think there's so many of them that can be overcome. If they really pumped enough cash and resources into football they'd probably be quite good at it. Also, look at that basketball player in the NBA and they've also come on leaps and bounds in events they've targetted like rowing - where being small or weak is no good.

One of the good things about football though is that you can't just throw money and resources and technology etc. at it and suddenly be the best. A lot of it is about having enough kids playing with their mates etc. at a young enough age and learning skills that way - i.e. it's still a skills-based sport even if you do see a lot of 'athletes' in the game too.

Generally historically they've not been as successful in some areas, although even that is changing looking at Basketball and such. Although I'd imagine the Chinese will be the first to genetically mess with their athletes for a variety of reasons (you could probably even argue they have selective breeding going on already and for a while).

From the Daily Telegraph news site;

AOC president John Coates questions British hygiene standards

AUSTRALIAN Olympic Committee president John Coates today weighed into the Aussie-British Games showdown with a slur questioning Britons' approach to cleanliness. Asked if he was surprised by Great Britain's good performances in the swimming, Coates said they had done well - for a nation short on pools and soap.

"Great Britain may have been in lane seven and eight but, um, they seemed to be getting there for a country that has very few swimming pools and not much soap,'' Coates said.

Coates's remark, while tongue in cheek, are sure to fuel the growing rivalry between Australia and its old sporting enemy during the Beijing Games.

Sports Minister Kate Ellis has already bet her British counterpart Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe on which country will stand higher in the medal count.

Her challenge came after the British team declared they would win 41 medals and beat Australia for the first time in 20 years.

Britain has poured hundreds of millions of pounds into its Olympic sportsmen since 2005, when London won the right to host the 2012 Games.

The splurge appears to have already paid dividends, with Britons picking up two unexpected gold medals in the first three days of competition.

Edited by Ken

It's a lot cheaper to build Olympic-sized pools in a country where you don't need to bother with a roof tbf. As for the suggestion we're tramps, Australia's the only place I've been to where you regularly see people walking around with nowt on their feet. Even in cities. Wtf?

The pools comment is fair enough (although yeah I think Australia has it easier - but in comparison to countries like France we're shocking... in fact probably compared with Afghanistan we're not much better Olympic pool-wise).

The soap comment is just racism. :icon_lol:

The pools comment is fair enough (although yeah I think Australia has it easier - but in comparison to countries like France we're shocking... in fact probably compared with Afghanistan we're not much better Olympic pool-wise).

The soap comment is just racism. :icon_lol:

As an aside, I think there's one Olympic pool in Afghanistan (in Kabul). It was built by the Soviets but it's never been filled because they discovered the water pressure wasn't enough to pump it up there. :icon_lol: It's still there though (pock-marked by bullets). The Soviets used the high-divng boards as a look-out tower (supposedly). It was in the Sunday Times Magazine the other week.

Just watched Michael Phelps in the 200m freestyle final, oh my god, how good is he ! Looks like Mark Spitz record might finally be broken.

Just watched Michael Phelps in the 200m freestyle final, oh my god, how good is he ! Looks like Mark Spitz record might finally be broken.

I reckon swimming will be one of the first genetically modified sports. Flippers > all. :icon_lol: (and that's actually true already if you look at most recent swimming sensations feet :icon_lol:)

1. United States- 21 (7g, 6s, 8b)

2. China- 18 (11g, 3s, 4b)

3. S. Korea- 11 (5g, 5s, 1b)

4. Italy- 9 (3g, 4s, 2b)

5. Australia- 9 (3g, 1s, 5b)

6. Russia- 8 (1g, 4s, 3b)

7. N. Korea- 6 (1g, 2s, 3b)

8. France- 6 (4s, 2b)

We got our first two medals: silver in women's weightlifting and bronze in men's greco-roman wrestling :icon_lol:

That's scary, especially the highest weight class. :icon_lol:

It gets scarier. She is the same age as me and she looks 60:

72711882.jpg

I don't want to lose a medal, but I think she is on something. :icon_lol:

Edited by AbsolutKazakh

China Olympic ceremony star mimed

By Michael Bristow

BBC News, Beijing

_44914864_lin_ap226.jpg

Officials thought Lin Miaoke had the looks and the showmanship

A pretty girl who won national fame after singing at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games was only miming.

Wearing a red dress and pigtails, Lin Miaoke charmed a worldwide audience with a rendition of “Ode to the Motherland”.

But the singer was Yang Peiyi, who was not allowed to appear because she is not as "flawless" as nine-year-old Lin.

The show's musical director said Lin was used because it was in the best interests of the country.

The revelation follows news that a fireworks display used during the opening ceremony was apparently faked.

'Smiling angel'

Speaking on Beijing Radio station, musical director Chen Qigang said the organisers needed a girl with both a good image and a good voice.

A television image of Yang Peiyi, who sang the song for the Beijing Olympic Games opening ceremony

_44914738_girl_afp226b.jpg

Yang Peiyi had the perfect voice but apparently not the perfect face

They faced a dilemma because although Lin was prettier, seven-year-old Yang had the better voice, Mr Chen said.

"After several tests, we decided to put Lin Miaoke on the live picture, while using Yang Peiyi's voice," he told the radio station.

"The reason for this is that we must put our country's interest first," he added.

"The girl appearing on the picture must be flawless in terms of her facial expression and the great feeling she can give to people."

Singer Lin, who is being called the "smiling angel", has already become a media celebrity because of her performance.

She told state-run China Daily that she felt "so beautiful" in the red dress she wore during the performance.

Her dad told the newspaper that she already had fans all over the country.

According to Chinese news reports, Yang said she did not regret the decision. "I'm satisfied to have had my voice in the opening ceremony," she said.

This is the second "fake" story about the opening ceremony

Viewers around the world saw a display in which 29 firework "footprints" travelled across Beijing from south to north.

But a senior official from the Beijing organising committee (Bocog) confirmed on Tuesday that footage of the display had been produced before the big night.

This was provided to broadcasters for "convenience and theatrical effects", according to Wang Wei, Bocog's executive vice-president.

"Because of poor visibility, some previously recorded footage may have been used," he told a daily press conference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7556058.stm

We got our first two medals: silver in women's weightlifting and bronze in men's greco-roman wrestling :icon_lol:

72711882.jpg

It's not Clearisil.

72711882.jpg

The one from Chinese Taipei that won bronze was definately roided up I honestly thought she was a bloke.

China Olympic ceremony star mimed

By Michael Bristow

BBC News, Beijing

_44914864_lin_ap226.jpg

Officials thought Lin Miaoke had the looks and the showmanship

A pretty girl who won national fame after singing at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games was only miming.

Wearing a red dress and pigtails, Lin Miaoke charmed a worldwide audience with a rendition of “Ode to the Motherland”.

But the singer was Yang Peiyi, who was not allowed to appear because she is not as "flawless" as nine-year-old Lin.

The show's musical director said Lin was used because it was in the best interests of the country.

The revelation follows news that a fireworks display used during the opening ceremony was apparently faked.

'Smiling angel'

Speaking on Beijing Radio station, musical director Chen Qigang said the organisers needed a girl with both a good image and a good voice.

A television image of Yang Peiyi, who sang the song for the Beijing Olympic Games opening ceremony

_44914738_girl_afp226b.jpg

Yang Peiyi had the perfect voice but apparently not the perfect face

They faced a dilemma because although Lin was prettier, seven-year-old Yang had the better voice, Mr Chen said.

"After several tests, we decided to put Lin Miaoke on the live picture, while using Yang Peiyi's voice," he told the radio station.

"The reason for this is that we must put our country's interest first," he added.

"The girl appearing on the picture must be flawless in terms of her facial expression and the great feeling she can give to people."

Singer Lin, who is being called the "smiling angel", has already become a media celebrity because of her performance.

She told state-run China Daily that she felt "so beautiful" in the red dress she wore during the performance.

Her dad told the newspaper that she already had fans all over the country.

According to Chinese news reports, Yang said she did not regret the decision. "I'm satisfied to have had my voice in the opening ceremony," she said.

This is the second "fake" story about the opening ceremony

Viewers around the world saw a display in which 29 firework "footprints" travelled across Beijing from south to north.

But a senior official from the Beijing organising committee (Bocog) confirmed on Tuesday that footage of the display had been produced before the big night.

This was provided to broadcasters for "convenience and theatrical effects", according to Wang Wei, Bocog's executive vice-president.

"Because of poor visibility, some previously recorded footage may have been used," he told a daily press conference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7556058.stm

Was talking about this last night.. does the fact they "cheated" with some of the display really matter? It was the spectacle of the thing that mattered to me, rather than it's integrity. Using a prettier face and faking a portion of the fireworks display doesn't, for me, detract from what was an outstanding display.

That's scary, especially the highest weight class. :rolleyes:

72711882.jpg

Certainly doesn't look too healthy for someone that should be pretty fit. :icon_lol:

Was talking about this last night.. does the fact they "cheated" with some of the display really matter? It was the spectacle of the thing that mattered to me, rather than it's integrity. Using a prettier face and faking a portion of the fireworks display doesn't, for me, detract from what was an outstanding display.

Depends on how many they killed/imprisoned to cover it up.

Up to 23, no.

More than 23, yes.

:icon_lol: