The Olympics

AbsolutKazakh

Shout out to AbsoluteKazakh btw, who joined on 1st August 2008, started this thread on 7th August 2008, and hasn't been seen since 17th August 2008.

Police are appealing for witnesses. 

He lives on in this thread and in our hearts. 

• Haha 6

@Meenzer have you seen the Linford Christie doc on iPlayer? Highly recommended for anyone but I know Meenz is a track and field geek.

Christie was a hero of mine growing up. I was a good sprinter / district schools 100 and 200m winner when I was a kid. Not that I was ever talented or committed enough to make it but it was another reason I looked up to him. I think him holding the World, European, Commonwealth and Olympic titles all at the same time is arguably the greatest achievement by any British sportsperson, let alone athlete. Given how competitive the 100m is. I don’t want to spoil the documentary by talking about it too much but the lack of funding and support along with the shoddy treatment he’s received, racism he’s had to confront etc. throughout his whole career and since he’s retired is just fucking awful really. Also, it really comes across just how much the athletes he coached like Darren Campbell and Katherine Merry love and respect him 

• Like 3

Watched the Daley Thompson one (also well worth a look), the Linford one is on the watch list and I'm sure we'll get to it before the athletics start, i.e. once we get bored of watching random judo and rowing heats, i.e. possibly very very soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Watched the Daley Thompson one (also well worth a look), the Linford one is on the watch list and I'm sure we'll get to it before the athletics start, i.e. once we get bored of watching random judo and rowing heats, i.e. possibly very very soon.

Aye, I caught about 10 mins of the Daley one so I’ll definitely be watching that too. Great memories of LA 84 in particular. That’s the first summer Olympic Games I can properly remember 

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye, I caught about 10 mins of the Daley one so I’ll definitely be watching that too. Great memories of LA 84 in particular. That’s the first summer Olympic Games I can properly remember 

Mine too, it was like one moment in time. :good:

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Alex said:

@Meenzer have you seen the Linford Christie doc on iPlayer? Highly recommended for anyone but I know Meenz is a track and field geek.

Christie was a hero of mine growing up. I was a good sprinter / district schools 100 and 200m winner when I was a kid. Not that I was ever talented or committed enough to make it but it was another reason I looked up to him. I think him holding the World, European, Commonwealth and Olympic titles all at the same time is arguably the greatest achievement by any British sportsperson, let alone athlete. Given how competitive the 100m is. I don’t want to spoil the documentary by talking about it too much but the lack of funding and support along with the shoddy treatment he’s received, racism he’s had to confront etc. throughout his whole career and since he’s retired is just fucking awful really. Also, it really comes across just how much the athletes he coached like Darren Campbell and Katherine Merry love and respect him 

Downloaded this.  Decent for a doper.

If you want to read a good book, I recommend this

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Downloaded this.  Decent for a doper.

If you want to read a good book, I recommend this

Read it before. Great read but might have another go at it, as it was a while ago. My personal take is they were all at it so their achievements stand, if you know what I mean. Carl Lewis was too. And he was the most self righteous cunt out of everyone. That said, I was absolutely inspired any him as a kid because of his achievements in ‘84. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

Read it before. Great read but might have another go at it, as it was a while ago. My personal take is they were all at it so their achievements stand, if you know what I mean. Carl Lewis was too. And he was the most self righteous cunt out of everyone. That said, I was absolutely inspired any him as a kid because of his achievements in ‘84. 

100%

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gemmill said:

What's she saying like? 

She was all emotional about Adam Peaty. You can just tell she's a canny lass who loves the sport

It was a shame he didn't win like. Mad that they swam 3 seconds slower than when he was at his peak. Shows just how unbeatable he was at that time. 

I thought he handled himself well, swam straight over to the lad that beat him to congratulate him. 

The slow times might also be a function of the pool depth - it's only 2 metres vs 3 metres at recent Olympics. Apparently the waves bouncing back off the bottom make it a slow pool. Which makes it a mad decision to purpose build a slow pool for an Olympics. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Just discovered that the Dutch have a convicted child rapist competing for them in the beach volleyball. 

shock.gif

Aye. 
Raped a 12yr old British girl when he was 19 in 2014… he flew to England to meet her, fully aware of her age. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/articles/cpd9e0r2dxmo.amp

17 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It was a shame he didn't win like. Mad that they swam 3 seconds slower than when he was at his peak. Shows just how unbeatable he was at that time. 

I thought he handled himself well, swam straight over to the lad that beat him to congratulate him. 

The slow times might also be a function of the pool depth - it's only 2 metres vs 3 metres at recent Olympics. Apparently the waves bouncing back off the bottom make it a slow pool. Which makes it a mad decision to purpose build a slow pool for an Olympics. 

Yeh he was top rate. He's a right unit. 

9 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye. 
Raped a 12yr old British girl when he was 19 in 2014… he flew to England to meet her, fully aware of her age. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/articles/cpd9e0r2dxmo.amp

Read about that last week. What’s appalling is he received a (very light imo) 4 year sentence and was released after 12 months. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

She was all emotional about Adam Peaty. You can just tell she's a canny lass who loves the sport

Meanwhile the pervert beside her was banging on about cupping, slapping and heightened sensations.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Read about that last week. What’s appalling is he received a (very light imo) 4 year sentence and was released after 12 months. 

Did 12 months in a British jail, was then transferred back to Holland , who released him a month later. 

I’m all for rehabilitation as a part of the sentencing of criminals, I very much support it. 

But this is taking the piss. 

• Like 2