The Olympics

AbsolutKazakh

You can't beat a bit of the GB underdog winning to get the blood pumping. I defy anyone not to have been smiling like a reatrd when Kelly Homes won in Athens.

Edited by sweetleftpeg

The sweaty socks (i.e. the Jocks / the Scottish). That's in the Winter Olympics though.

Ah, the better Olympics. Minus the curling.

:( I like both games although I used to follow skiing a lot more closely than I do now. Prefer the Summer Olympics though.

Alpine skiing is my favorite hobby. Watching those people cruise down the slopes at speeds upwards of 90 mph is pretty amazing. I put the Winter Olympics and Winter X games above the Summer Olympics on my list, but they're all pretty close. Kind of off topic, but I noticed American football is being played in England now. Is it really that popular? It's a huge thing here, I'm even beginning to like it. :icon_lol:

It's strange because there is (I think) a European NFL and a London team who get moderate crowds. (I don't follow US Football but I used to as it became popular when it was first televised in the UK in the 80s). However, when a proper NFL was staged at Wembley in the UK last year the stadium was a sell-out and it was reported it could have sold out 10 times over. Wembley holds about 90,000 people by the way.

Yeah, I've heard of the European one and Canada has its own league as well. Supposedly they are playing another this year...with better teams in it. :icon_lol:

You can't beat a bit of the GB underdog winning to get the blood pumping. I defy anyone not to have been smiling like a reatrd when Kelly Homes won in Athens.

I'm not ashamed to say I had a lump in my throat. Fucking brilliant imo. After the bad luck she'd had throughout her career it was just fantastic that everything came together that year.

I'm not ashamed to say I had a lump in my throat. Fucking brilliant imo. After the bad luck she'd had throughout her career it was just fantastic that everything came together that year.

If my new neighbours in Hamburg hadn't worked out I was British yet, they certainly knew it after her races. :(

Denise Lewis romping home in the rain as well in 2000, Redgrave 'just' getting the 5th Gold, I love the way that team GB tends to do it dramatically rather than easily. We make it look hard, but it makes it a lot more entertaining to watch.

Any of the running from 400m downward is usually ok, stuff like the decathlon (just because it's such an impressive discipline) and usually the diving and weightlifting is ok.

But basically I only tend to "watch" when I'm doing something else and have it on in the background etc.

The Communists always do opening ceremonies much better than any cunt else. I say we sack of 2012 and give it to North Korea.

LA in '84 was canny good. Totally OTT like. It had a rocket man and about 30 grand pianos that appeared in the Colosseum iirc.

The Communists always do opening ceremonies much better than any cunt else. I say we sack of 2012 and give it to North Korea.

LA in '84 was canny good. Totally OTT like. It had a rocket man and about 30 grand pianos that appeared in the Colosseum iirc.

Most of the winners in that were drug cheats. Flo jo had more concoctions in her bloodstream than me during my pill popping times!

looking forward to the heptatholon as our girls nearly good enough for a medal. also the dwarf wrestling and the fisting.

Most of the winners in that were drug cheats. Flo jo had more concoctions in her bloodstream than me during my pill popping times!

looking forward to the heptatholon as our girls nearly good enough for a medal. also the dwarf wrestling and the fisting.

Flo-Jo won her golds at Seoul in '88 iirc

And while this is all going on Russia and Georgia have decided to blow each other to fuck :(

Love owt like this.

Hmmm...my money is on Russia in this one. If fueling conflict in the Caucasus was an Olympic event, Russia would dominate.

bugger, you are right.

still stands though.

bugger, you are right.

still stands though.

Seoul in general was more of a one for drug cheats. I think 4 out of the 1st 5 in the men's 100m final tested positive at some point in their career (inc. Ben Johnson of course). I was just on about the opening ceremony like although LA '84 was class for GB athletics - Seb Coe, Tessa Sanderson, Daley Thompson, Shirley Strong, Steve Cram, Charlie Spending, etc. Spoilt a bit by the Soviet Bloc boycott though.