The Olympics

AbsolutKazakh

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Of course George Mills, the GB lad who tried to start on the French athlete after the 5000m heat is Danny Mills' son. :lol:

I didn’t twig. Although I remember reading an article about it a while back. Looks a bit like his dad too :lol:

• Haha 1

Watching the triple jump here and the WR line is just a mile away from where these lads are jumping. This still looks completely ridiculous today. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Watching the triple jump here and the WR line is just a mile away from where these lads are jumping. This still looks completely ridiculous today. 

That was a God assisted jump. 

And how did he thank God? 

He forsook God. 

• Haha 3

Hudson-Smith so unlucky there. Another incredible race as well. 5th fastest time ever and it sets you silver! 

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

Hudson-Smith so unlucky there. Another incredible race as well. 5th fastest time ever and it sets you silver! 

Didn't realise it was 5th fastest ever. Poor cunt. 

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Horrible fall in the steeplechase there. Bloke still down getting treatment. 

Just as well he's not a horse I guess. 

• Haha 7

The BBC coverage is a fucking disgrace like. The pole vault tonight was really good, I watched it live on Eurosport. Just flipped back to BBC and Logan goes "you've probably heard lots of screaming behind us tonight, here's Steve Brackley to tell you what it's all been about" :lol:

Do they think we're watching the Olympics to hear them chat on a sofa ffs. Back in the day it was just David Coleman talking by himself for hours on end. Now they think we want to watch a fucking panel show over the sport. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Triple jump was won last night with a jump of 17.44. Bronze medal didn't even get over 17m.

Edwards' WR stands at 18.29m and it's 29 years old this year. 

I think it was Gothenburg at the world championships where Edwards  smashed the world triple jump record. Only to break it again about half an hour later. The pressure got to him at Atlanta and he ‘only’ won Olympic silver there the following year. He was so good he was still the best in the world 4 years later, winning at the Sydney Olympics. 
My uncle used to work for Gateshead council and would often use the gym at Gateshead Stadium. He bumped into Edwards there a lot. Apart from saying he was a genuinely lovely fella he also commented on how he could lift insane weights. Especially squats. More than all these blokes in there about twice his size. That’s part of the reason he was so good. Obviously he had great speed on the runway. He was technically brilliant too. The best description I can think of is someone saying most triple jumpers are like a bouncing ball but he was like a stone skimming over water. Maintaining the speed through all the stages. But his power to weight ratio too. He was slightly built compared to most triple jumpers 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think it was Gothenburg at the world championships where Edwards  smashed the world triple jump record. Only to break it again about half an hour later. The pressure got to him at Atlanta and he ‘only’ won Olympic silver there the following year. He was so good he was still the best in the world 4 years later, winning at the Sydney Olympics. 
My uncle used to work for Gateshead council and would often use the gym at Gateshead Stadium. He bumped into Edwards there a lot. Apart from saying he was a genuinely lovely fella he also commented on how he could lift insane weights. Especially squats. More than all these blokes in there about twice his size. That’s part of the reason he was so good. Obviously he had great speed on the runway. He was technically brilliant too. The best description I can think of is someone saying most triple jumpers are like a bouncing ball but he was like a stone skimming over water. Maintaining the speed through all the stages. But his power to Wright ratio too. He was slightly built compared to most triple jumpers 

black and white tech GIF by Okkult Motion Pictures

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

black and white tech GIF by Okkult Motion Pictures

Yeah I just spotted that :lol: I genuinely made a lot less spelling and grammatical mistakes before autocorrect. 
Makes you think 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Yeah I just spotted that :lol: I genuinely made a lot less spelling and grammatical mistakes before autocorrect. 
Makes you think 

You're just asking quesadillas

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

You're just asking quesadillas

Ducking twang 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I learned from a podcast this morning that Americans call the Just Asking Questions thing, JAQing off. 

Must have stolen it. They're not that funny.