The Olympics

AbsolutKazakh

Does anyone give a fuck yet?

£9.3 billion pounds, all this talk of legacy, how many world class schools, hospitals or shopping centres could have been bombed with that?

the talk of legacy is particularly galling when no one involved seems to realise (or care) how little difference is made to anywhere except london for all of this

I'm looking forward to it. Got tickets for a few things, including the closing ceremony. I'd probably be sick of the hype if I still lived elsewhere though, you get totally desensitised to the London bias in the media/government/society/etc. after a few years of living here.

Does anyone give a fuck yet?

£9.3 billion pounds, all this talk of legacy, how many world class schools, hospitals or shopping centres could have been bombed with that?

the talk of legacy is particularly galling when no one involved seems to realise (or care) how little difference is made to anywhere except london for all of this

Exactly what I'm thinking. It's going to be a bad year for me as far as the media goes, we're not halfway through January yet and I'm already bored shitless of hearing about the damn olympics, it just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 04/07/2024 at 09:56, wykikitoon said:

Sprint on Netflix is a canny watch.

Looking forward to the Olympics soon.

I was reading there had been a lot of people who had put their names forward to commentate on the Surfing events. Which are taking place in….Tahiti :lol: 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Opening ceremony on Friday but the football and rugby start today. Currently watching Uzbekistan-Spain which is proving to be surprisingly entertaining. :lol:

• Haha 2

Mad scenes at the end of Argentina vs Morocco. Complete with ugly crowd action that has cast a dark shadow on the games already and it hasn’t even technically begun.

Women’s Handball tomorrow. Let the battle commence 

14 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

This opening is shit 

I like the idea of using the river and the city in principle, but it's lacking a focal point and you don't get the atmosphere and huge cheers for the individual countries like you get in a stadium. Nul points.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

I like the idea of using the river and the city in principle, but it's lacking a focal point and you don't get the atmosphere and huge cheers for the individual countries like you get in a stadium. Nul points.

Agreed.  The Seine is iconic and great to use but its a bit meh.

Glad we're learning Brunei Darussalam is rich as fuck.

But don't be homosexual you will be stoned to death.  They seemed to forget that bit out.

Edited by wykikitoon

Aye these boats coming through are a bit naff. You're not getting the same focus on the athletes as you usually do either, they're having to race through garbled commentary on who's who. 

I love all this 'EU and all this health and safety' wank from the Gammons.

You then have mad dancer cunts hanging off the scaffold of Norte Dame and mad fuckers in the fountains :lol: Along with someone dressed as a fencer running on roofs :lol: 

• Haha 3

They mentioned there has been no rehearsal. It really looked like it in that can can segment. :lol:

Looked like they were all meeting for the first time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One thing you can never accuse the French of is not being pretentious 

• Haha 2

If anyone else has shelled out for Discovery/Eurosport for the duration, the sound is much better there than on the BBC

• Like 1