Is it Scotch? Is it whisky? Is it Scotch whisky?

sammynb

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tooj and I are off the Newcastle Whisky Festival on the 7th May. manc-mag may make it too, but I doubt it :icon_lol:

Birmingham game? Hmm...

Easy decision made there like.

Tooj and I are off the Newcastle Whisky Festival on the 7th May. manc-mag may make it too, but I doubt it :icon_lol:

What's happened to Mancy? He's not been on here for almost a month.

Not sure of the specifics but he's alive and well.

What's happened to Mancy? He's not been on here for almost a month.

Not sure of the specifics but he's alive and well.

Forgot the url again then.

Birmingham game? Hmm...

Easy decision made there like.

Water tested. Signs were good.

Well get yourself over then mate. It clashes with the match btw (i.e. it's noon til 5-ish) but we're just fucking the match off. It was quality last year fwiw.

I work in a place with loads of Bell's, Johnny Walker Black/red/green/gold/blue Label, Bushmills (various), Talisker, Oban and Singleton whiskey. Any you'd happily lose your job for stealing?

I work in a place with loads of Bell's, Johnny Walker Black/red/green/gold/blue Label, Bushmills (various), Talisker, Oban and Singleton whiskey. Any you'd happily lose your job for stealing?

Bushmills and Talisker in particular are quality (just off that list). If you can get me a bottle of the 18 year old of the latter I'll be your bestest friend. If you're on about nicking stuff to sell, the Jonnie Walker Blue label is over £100 a bottle. Never had it meself like.

Edited by alex

Bushmills and Talisker in particular are quality (just off that list). If you can get me a bottle of the 18 year old of the latter I'll be your bestest friend. If you're on about nicking stuff to sell, the Jonnie Walker Blue label is over £100 a bottle. Never had it meself like.

I have a bottle of 18yo talisker on the shelf at home along with a rather extensive selection I must admit. Islay whisky i pretty much my weakness in life. I have a 1990 laphroig sat at home gathering dust, bottle number 235 of 239 made and very much doubt it will get opened until something seriously worth celebrating happens. Jura is a good 'everyday' single malt with and although ardmore is a Highland it has the peat-smoke elements of Islay whisky which is the reason I like it so much. My faviourate 2 however are the Lagavulin 1994 Double matured distillers edition and the Laphroig Quarter cask (Better than the standard 10 year off the shelf).

I have a bottle of 18yo talisker on the shelf at home along with a rather extensive selection I must admit. Islay whisky i pretty much my weakness in life. I have a 1990 laphroig sat at home gathering dust, bottle number 235 of 239 made and very much doubt it will get opened until something seriously worth celebrating happens. Jura is a good 'everyday' single malt with and although ardmore is a Highland it has the peat-smoke elements of Islay whisky which is the reason I like it so much. My faviourate 2 however are the Lagavulin 1994 Double matured distillers edition and the Laphroig Quarter cask (Better than the standard 10 year off the shelf).

Just finished my birthday bottle of Talisker 18 last night. Absolutely lush although not the sort of thing you'd buy everyday. I haven't had the Lagavlulin you're on about but the 'normal' 16 y.o. is probably my favourite of the lot. I've had the Laphroig Quarter Cask and it's excellent. Fenwick's had it in for £23 (-ish) at Xmas and it's a really nice dram. I fancy trying the new 18 y.o. they've recently replaced their 15 y.o. with although again that's one for the birthday / Xmas list. Jura is quite nice but I prefer their Superstition to the 10 y.o. (the former being a mix of an aged unpeated malt and a young - 3 y.o. I think - peated one). Also the Nisa minimart place near me has 12 y.o. Highland Park for £23 which is a leftover Xmas offer which is still in stock. It's an absolutely superb whisky for that price iyam. It's peated (as you probably know) but the theory is that it tastes different from Islay malts because the peat on Orkney is younger than the peat on Islay. I'm a relativey new convert to peated styles of whisky but I absolutely love them now. That's not to say I don't still like other malts.

You'd have loved that Supernova. I found that at 60% it needed a drop of water but i preferred the taste, it seemed to get sweeter to me. Not as strong a peaty flavour as you'd expect but very nice and better than the Corryvreckan imo.

You'd have loved that Supernova. I found that at 60% it needed a drop of water but i preferred the taste, it seemed to get sweeter to me. Not as strong a peaty flavour as you'd expect but very nice and better than the Corryvreckan imo.

Aye, I'm sure I would have. I nearly bought the Corryvreckan the other day in Fenwick's but was pleased I didn't as when I read up on it afterwards it said it was a lightly peated version which seems to miss the point a bit for an Ardbeg whisky.

Aye, I'm sure I would have. I nearly bought the Corryvreckan the other day in Fenwick's but was pleased I didn't as when I read up on it afterwards it said it was a lightly peated version which seems to miss the point a bit for an Ardbeg whisky.

Meant to be the peatiest whisky on the market, 100 phenols per million or whatever it is. They are pricey and you're paying for the packaging, beautifully done but the price must be bumped up because of it.

Meant to be the peatiest whisky on the market, 100 phenols per million or whatever it is. They are pricey and you're paying for the packaging, beautifully done but the price must be bumped up because of it.

I think Bruichladdich's Octomore is peatier although not as widely available. I think the last release was 140ppm or something like that. That's getting on for £100 a bottle as well I think. Haven't tried it like. It's my current aim to try a whisky older than I am. I better get my skates on like. The closest I've come is an independently bottled (by Bladnoch) 30 y.o. cask strength Caol Ila, which was bloody fantastic. I tried to buy some more but it's long gone. They had some 25 y.o. too which I bought but that's sold out now too.

I think Bruichladdich's Octomore is peatier although not as widely available. I think the last release was 140ppm or something like that. That's getting on for £100 a bottle as well I think. Haven't tried it like. It's my current aim to try a whisky older than I am. I better get my skates on like. The closest I've come is an independently bottled (by Bladnoch) 30 y.o. cask strength Caol Ila, which was bloody fantastic. I tried to buy some more but it's long gone. They had some 25 y.o. too which I bought but that's sold out now too.

I've had a brandy older than my mam, a couple bottled the year i was born but the oldest whisky i've had was a glass of 40 year old Highland Park in a club in London run by a certain D. Llambias <_< I had that 30 year old Glenfiddich last year, finished that off on christmas day night, which was nice. The 40 year version of that is £2000 so no chance on that one.

The supanova is still available at about £85-120 a bottle (2010 release). I have a 12 y/o Ardbeg at home which is superbly peaty so this may be worth a look at if it is a good as you say. 60.1% is probably more than anything else I have I would have thought with the highest being the 57 degree North Talisker at 57% 1990 Laphroaig at 52.4% which i have not opened. I found the talisker at 57% better with a drop off water also as it brought out the flavour

The supanova is still available at about £85-120 a bottle (2010 release). I have a 12 y/o Ardbeg at home which is superbly peaty so this may be worth a look at if it is a good as you say. 60.1% is probably more than anything else I have I would have thought with the highest being the 57 degree North Talisker at 57% 1990 Laphroaig at 52.4% which i have not opened. I found the talisker at 57% better with a drop off water also as it brought out the flavour

Got a litre bottle of that at Newcastle Airport. Nice but not as nice as the 18 y.o. or the 10 y.o imo. You definitely need a drop of water in it like.

Just finished my birthday bottle of Talisker 18 last night. Absolutely lush although not the sort of thing you'd buy everyday. I haven't had the Lagavlulin you're on about but the 'normal' 16 y.o. is probably my favourite of the lot. I've had the Laphroig Quarter Cask and it's excellent. Fenwick's had it in for £23 (-ish) at Xmas and it's a really nice dram. I fancy trying the new 18 y.o. they've recently replaced their 15 y.o. with although again that's one for the birthday / Xmas list. Jura is quite nice but I prefer their Superstition to the 10 y.o. (the former being a mix of an aged unpeated malt and a young - 3 y.o. I think - peated one). Also the Nisa minimart place near me has 12 y.o. Highland Park for £23 which is a leftover Xmas offer which is still in stock. It's an absolutely superb whisky for that price iyam. It's peated (as you probably know) but the theory is that it tastes different from Islay malts because the peat on Orkney is younger than the peat on Islay. I'm a relativey new convert to peated styles of whisky but I absolutely love them now. That's not to say I don't still like other malts.

Talisker is ace but haven't tried the 18 though.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...