tbh amnesty

Renton

Why not just send robchester what you've got? Even if it's just some production stuff, robchester as a musician will be able to take into account the levels not being right.

What software are you working off?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick them up on here, Chesney.  We'll review them for you. :lol:

42579[/snapback]

Gee thanks!

42581[/snapback]

Well if that's how you're gonna treat your fans....:D

42582[/snapback]

I'm not after "fans". That particular aspiration disappeared when I was 24/5. It wouldn't suit me now, and I'm not hungry for it. (If I was ever good enough anyway).

As for songwriting, well that's about longevity. I hope the publishers like what I'm writing. If not, I'll write some more. :huh:

Why not just send robchester what you've got?  Even if it's just some production stuff, robchester as a musician will be able to take into account the levels not being right.

42583[/snapback]

The trouble with sending people unfinished stuff is that everyone has a different opinion. At least when it's finished someone can either like it or not.

Logic 7.1 BTW

42579[/snapback]

Gee thanks!

42581[/snapback]

42582[/snapback]

I'm not after "fans". That particular aspiration disappeared when I was 24/5. It wouldn't suit me now, and I'm not hungry for it. (If I was ever good enough anyway).

As for songwriting, well that's about longevity. I hope the publishers like what I'm writing. If not, I'll write some more. :huh:

42584[/snapback]

Serious question (and you can tell me to mind my own business): how do you survive financially between getting stuff published? I've no idea how much getting something published pays, but are you left living paycheque to paycheque and under constant pressure to come up with something saleable, or can you make money from session work in between getting stuff published?

Just interested as to how the whole thing works.

Why not just send robchester what you've got?  Even if it's just some production stuff, robchester as a musician will be able to take into account the levels not being right.

42583[/snapback]

The trouble with sending people unfinished stuff is that everyone has a different opinion. At least when it's finished someone can either like it or not.

Logic 7.1 BTW

42586[/snapback]

What's wrong with differing opinions? Especially from someone who may well have valid input.

42579[/snapback]

Gee thanks!

42581[/snapback]

42582[/snapback]

42584[/snapback]

Serious question (and you can tell me to mind my own business): how do you survive financially between getting stuff published? I've no idea how much getting something published pays, but are you left living paycheque to paycheque and under constant pressure to come up with something saleable, or can you make money from session work in between getting stuff published?

42587[/snapback]

You want to do his accounts, don't you?

42579[/snapback]

Gee thanks!

42581[/snapback]

Well if that's how you're gonna treat your fans....:icon_lol:

42582[/snapback]

42584[/snapback]

42587[/snapback]

You want to do his accounts, don't you?

42589[/snapback]

:nufc:

I'm a company accountant man. I deal only in billions. :D

Serious question (and you can tell me to mind my own business):  how do you survive financially between getting stuff published?  I've no idea how much getting something published pays, but are you left living paycheque to paycheque and under constant pressure to come up with something saleable, or can you make money from session work in between getting stuff published?

42587[/snapback]

Well I gave up my season ticket....! :lol:

I live quite cheaply with my wife. No pubs, no restaurants gave up smoking, few holidays, cheap car etc. We used to spend a fortune going out in London but it became a case of working to pay for our social lives. To be honest though we have a great time doing our own thing. It'll wear thin in time but the idea was to come up here so I could write.

I make backing tracks for a karaoke company for quids. It sounds shit but you actually have to recreate the track from scratch, there's no machine...

It's like doing a reproduction of a painting, you still have to be able to paint.

I also do a bit of TV music through a mate in London, but I don't control how much work I get as it all comes from him.

I did do a stint playing covers up here but the money's not great and the venues were less than wonderful.

I don't worry about living cheque to cheque. You kind of get used to it and I know people with careers who are just as worried but they have even greater financial responsiblities.

There you go. :huh:

What's wrong with differing opinions?  Especially from someone who may well have valid input.

42588[/snapback]

Because you need focus. I'm not saying I never listen to anyone, but when I'm writing, I'm pretty decided on the result I'm after.

Writers of books may need editing, but I think it's a pretty much a lone mission.

In the future, if I meet a like minded soul, I'll happily collaborate though.

Serious question (and you can tell me to mind my own business):  how do you survive financially between getting stuff published?  I've no idea how much getting something published pays, but are you left living paycheque to paycheque and under constant pressure to come up with something saleable, or can you make money from session work in between getting stuff published?

42587[/snapback]

I live quite cheaply with my wife. No pubs, no restaurants gave up smoking, few holidays, cheap car etc. We used to spend a fortune going out in London but it became a case of working to pay for our social lives. To be honest though we have a great time doing our own thing. It'll wear thin in time but the idea was to come up here so I could write.

I make backing tracks for a karaoke company for quids. It sounds shit but you actually have to recreate the track from scratch, there's no machine...

It's like doing a reproduction of a painting, you still have to be able to paint.

I also do a bit of TV music through a mate in London, but I don't control how much work I get as it all comes from him.

I did do a stint playing covers up here but the money's not great and the venues were less than wonderful.

I don't worry about living cheque to cheque. You kind of get used to it and I know people with careers who are just as worried but they have even greater financial responsiblities.

42593[/snapback]

Cheers. Interesting stuff. So was the move up here a cost-of-living motivated thing?

And you're right about the cheque to cheque thing - I earn decent enough money and every time I get a pay rise I convince myself it's going to leave me so much better off per month, but you just adjust your spending accordingly and before long I'm twisting about how I need more cash etc.

42587[/snapback]

42593[/snapback]

Cheers. Interesting stuff. So was the move up here a cost-of-living motivated thing?

And you're right about the cheque to cheque thing - I earn decent enough money and every time I get a pay rise I convince myself it's going to leave me so much better off per month, but you just adjust your spending accordingly and before long I'm twisting about how I need more cash etc.

42596[/snapback]

That's very true. You can never have enough money. But, at the same time, you're unlikely to starve.

Cheers.  Interesting stuff.  So was the move up here a cost-of-living motivated thing?

42596[/snapback]

Well it was also the 2003/4 season and it was looking good. We'd just signed Woodgate and we were playing well. :lol:

But yeah, the rent in London for our flat and my studio was £1200 a month so it was time to get out!

I also love the countryside up here and the people, though there does seem to be more anti-southern feeling, I'm guessing because of people buying property?

Cheers.  Interesting stuff.  So was the move up here a cost-of-living motivated thing?

42596[/snapback]

Well it was also the 2003/4 season and it was looking good. We'd just signed Woodgate and we were playing well. :lol:

But yeah, the rent in London for our flat and my studio was £1200 a month so it was time to get out!

I also love the countryside up here and the people, though there does seem to be more anti-southern feeling, I'm guessing because of people buying property?

42604[/snapback]

Not sure about the anti-Southern thing - I know I work with people from all over Europe and the world, and they're all more than welcome here as far as I'm concerned.

42596[/snapback]

42604[/snapback]

I think it's because a lot of Southerners are stuck up their own arse. Not saying you are (as I don't know you) but that's my experience.

42604[/snapback]

I suppose it depends where you move to. I know in Alnwick a lot of the locals are getting pissed off because their kids can't afford to buy property locally anymore as prices have been pushed up. Therefore any outsider, southern or not, might get a bit of an annoyed cold shoulder.

Edited by sweetleftpeg

42604[/snapback]

I suppose it depends where you move to. I know in Alnwick a lot of the locals are getting pissed off because their kids can't afford to buy property locally anymore as prices have been pushed up. Therefore any outsider, southern or not, might get a bit of an annoyed cold shoulder.

42724[/snapback]

Same in loads of rural areas all over the country. Places like Cornwall have suffered particularly badly.

42604[/snapback]

42724[/snapback]

Same in loads of rural areas all over the country. Places like Cornwall have suffered particularly badly.

42728[/snapback]

I bet the French are getting pissed off as well. I'm sure certain rural areas of France will be declared as British soil within the next decade...

42604[/snapback]

42724[/snapback]

42728[/snapback]

I bet the French are getting pissed off as well. I'm sure certain rural areas of France will be declared as British soil within the next decade...

42729[/snapback]

Aye, it's a situation caused by the relatively high property prices in this country and in certain parts of this country compared to others. As an aside, did anyone catch the woeful recent episodes of Eastenders set in France. Jesus wept!

Aye, it's a situation caused by the relatively high property prices in this country and in certain parts of this country compared to others. As an aside, did anyone catch the woeful recent episodes of Eastenders set in France. Jesus wept!

42733[/snapback]

The kid who plays Micky got viral meningitis over the weekend, I think it was God punishing him.