Titus Bramble

Scottish Mag

To tell his critics that Titus Bramble has become a movie buff since moving to the North-East would be to invite jokes of horror shows, comedies and the documenting of disasters.

Yet the Newcastle defender - for whom the cinema screens of Tyneside offer welcome respite from his life in the sporting spotlight - the pastime he ranks as his favourite is all about seeking a happy ending.

"My lifestyle has changed - it had to," admitted the 24-year-old, who credits Graeme Souness with rescuing his career with the frank exchange of views which followed the United manager's arrival at St James's Park.

"I don't go out much at all these days and, if I do, I just go to the cinema with Kieron Dyer and watch a movie. After training, I have a nap and then we will meet up, watch films, just hang out.

"I might go out after a game but not during the week - there's a time and a place for these things. Occasionally I got the balance wrong when I was younger. When I first came here - probably because I was in a new city - I went out too much."

The perception that United's younger players spend their evenings trawling Quayside clubs and city bars has been hard to shake but, since Souness arrived determined to shake up the St James's squad, their image has steadily improved.

"I feel for Kieron because the perception is that he is a party animal but he doesn't go out much," said Bramble, who, having changed his social life, has reaped the benefits in his job. "If he does, he gets knocked for it, people make big stories of it and that's harsh. It's something we have both had to get used to."

It was in an attempt to ensure that, when Bramble featured in newspapers, it would not be on the front pages, that Souness sought talks with the defender following his appointment.

"I had a heart-to-heart with him when I first arrived," said the Magpies boss, for whom Bramble has since evolved into one of his most important players. "I knew what a good player he could become, so I pulled no punches.

"I told him his future could be extremely rosy, or not, depending on his attitude. Titus has been professional in everything he has done for me, I have been delighted with his attitude."

That Bramble listened hard to what Souness said is clear. "He told me things I needed to hear, they were home truths," he admitted. "He said it was my career we were talking about, he was brutally honest. It was good management, it sunk in and I have taken notice. It had added weight because the gaffer has been there and done it. He knows what he is talking about.

"The gaffer said it was up to me. I had words with myself, told myself he was right. Since then, the performances have improved."

Newcastle's upturn in fortunes this season has coincided with Bramble's return from the fractured elbow which forced him to miss the opening month of the Premiership campaign.

A player still feeling his way back to full fitness has yet to reproduce the commanding performances with which he silenced his doubters last term but, with practice, he doesn't doubt he will get there.

"Since the boss came in, I think I have done well," said a player who, having suffered a minor problem during a Thursday morning training session, hopes to recover in time to face Portsmouth.

Souness now has genuine competition for places at centre-half and, with Steven Taylor available following his suspension, a difficult decision must be made this afternoon.

Although Jean-Alain Boumsong cost £8.5m, a fit and in-form Bramble has the potential to become the club's most-accomplished defender.

Said Souness: "These days he has to concentrate all of the time in training because he has people like Michael Owen bombing around him. That can only help his progress and aid his concentration when it matters most."

Indeed, working on a daily basis with English football's two deadliest strikers of recent years has helped Bramble's development.

"I mark Michael Owen in training and that can only improve my game," he said. "Thank God I don't have to play against him every week.

"He plays off your shoulder, always trying to get behind you and working with him teaches you that one little mistake can lead to the ball in the net.

"It has been a fair criticism that, in the past, my concentration has wavered. But I was 18 when I made my debut at Ipswich and 20 when I came to Newcastle and that is very young.

"I was inexperienced and even now I have a lot to learn. It has been a bit of an eye-opener and it took a while to find my feet on and off the pitch, but I am more used to the pressures now."

That Bramble listened hard to what Souness said is clear. "He told me things I needed to hear, they were home truths," he admitted. "He said it was my career we were talking about, he was brutally honest. It was good management, it sunk in

:lol: Has LM read that?? :blink::D

Edited by snakehips

Lies, I seen him in Tokyo a few weeks back.

41524[/snapback]

He didn't say he never goes out, just hardly ever.

41536[/snapback]

So going out the only time he really can is hardly ever?

Fancy that. Good man-management from Souness with a player that is willing to listen, take on board what he's being told, and realise that he doesn't know it all after all. Shame they're not all like that.....mentioning no names or nowt.

He's gotta be lying like because it's common knowledge that Souness is incapable of managing players etc. etc. :lol:

Fancy that.  Good man-management from Souness with a player that is willing to listen, take on board what he's being told, and realise that he doesn't know it all after all.  Shame they're not all like that.....mentioning no names or nowt.

He's gotta be lying like because it's common knowledge that Souness is incapable of managing players etc. etc. :lol:

41614[/snapback]

Shame some people will simply never admit they are wrong about a manager, or a player come to that [who exactly did say Ameobi and Kluivert would be the dynamic replacements for Shearer a year ago] they would rather cling to one success story.....however, more to the point, as an accountant what do you think of the money he is spending, and what do you think of our points total last season ?

Fancy that.  Good man-management from Souness with a player that is willing to listen, take on board what he's being told, and realise that he doesn't know it all after all.  Shame they're not all like that.....mentioning no names or nowt.

41614[/snapback]

Shame some people will simply never admit they are wrong about a manager, or a player come to that [who exactly did say Ameobi and Kluivert would be the dynamic replacements for Shearer a year ago] they would rather cling to one success story.....however, more to the point, as an accountant what do you think of the money he is spending, and what do you think of our points total last season ?

41902[/snapback]

I don't know who said Ameobi and Kluivert would be dynamic replacements for Shearer. I do know it wasn't me though. Are you sure someone actually said it and that you aren't just creating a fictional quote by a fictional person about something that was never going to happen, so that you can tell us all how clever you are because you knew it never could happen?

41614[/snapback]

OK, I take it all back, this proves without a doubt that Souness is a superb man manager. :huh:

It really shows on the pitch after all.

He's gotta be lying like because it's common knowledge that Souness is incapable of managing players etc. etc. :huh:

41614[/snapback]

OK, I take it all back, this proves without a doubt that Souness is a superb man manager. :D

It really shows on the pitch after all.

41996[/snapback]

Finally you've admitted you were wrong about Souness. How does it feel? :lol:

41614[/snapback]

41902[/snapback]

I don't know who said Ameobi and Kluivert would be dynamic replacements for Shearer. I do know it wasn't me though. Are you sure someone actually said it and that you aren't just creating a fictional quote by a fictional person about something that was never going to happen, so that you can tell us all how clever you are because you knew it never could happen?

41990[/snapback]

I don't know if you did or not, but I do know that a hell of a lot of people on here said this.

Your daft comment about some sort of fictional person saying Ameobi and Kluivert would be top players for Newcastle, also shows that you have an extremely short memory if you think otherwise, or just make things up as you go, as you know full well a lot of people said the above.

As far as making predictions, I just exercise footballing judgments, and I'm very rarely wrong, if I am wrong I would admit it, only a complete cock would refuse to admit when they are wrong, wouldn't you agree ?

Question. What exactly is your expectations of Souness, and spending 50m quid on a team that was already qualified for the UEFA Cup via a 5th place position in the league ? What would you see as success, given the above advantages over 15 teams who were below us ? At what stage exactly would you be prepared to admit that he has been a failure, seeing as you are still not considering this as an option despite our pathetic performance last season, and so far this one, in return for the massive financial backing and support he has had ?

Edited by LeazesMag

He's gotta be lying like because it's common knowledge that Souness is incapable of managing players etc. etc. :huh:

41614[/snapback]

41902[/snapback]

41990[/snapback]

I don't know if you did or not, but I do know that a hell of a lot of people on here said this.

Your daft comment about some sort of fictional person saying Ameobi and Kluivert would be top players for Newcastle, also shows that you have an extremely short memory if you think otherwise, or just make things up as you go, as you know full well a lot of people said the above.

As far as making predictions, I just exercise footballing judgments, and I'm very rarely wrong, if I am wrong I would admit it, only a complete cock would refuse to admit when they are wrong, wouldn't you agree ?

Question. What exactly is your expectations of Souness, and spending 50m quid on a team that was already qualified for the UEFA Cup via a 5th place position in the league ? What would you see as success, given the above advantages over 15 teams who were below us ? At what stage exactly would you be prepared to admit that he has been a failure, seeing as you are still not considering this as an option despite our pathetic performance last season, and so far this one, in return for the massive financial backing and support he has had ?

42021[/snapback]

LM mate, I said the other day that 5th would be acceptable to me as a step in the right direction. If we don't get 5th I'll admit that Souness got it wrong. :lol:

LM mate, I said the other day that 5th would be acceptable to me as a step in the right direction.  If we don't get 5th I'll admit that Souness got it wrong. :lol:

42024[/snapback]

OK, that one must have escaped me. FWIW, we know that Robson had to go, as the team needed freshening up if we wanted to go back up into the top 4 rather than slide a few places, which is what I feel would have happened if Robson had stayed.

But getting back into the Champions League is without doubt the absolute minimum for Newcastle now. The club has to make sure that themselves, and us, set our stall out for this all the time, and with an occasional cup thrown in for good measure, because looking at Chelsea today, we have absolutely no chance of beating both Chelsea and manu to the title at least until the Russian gets fed up of his football club. we had our chance in 1996 and didn't quite do it.

Edited by LeazesMag

LM mate, I said the other day that 5th would be acceptable to me as a step in the right direction.  If we don't get 5th I'll admit that Souness got it wrong. :lol:

42024[/snapback]

OK, that one must have escaped me. FWIW, we know that Robson had to go, as the team needed freshening up if we wanted to go back up into the top 4 rather than slide a few places, which is what I feel would have happened if Robson had stayed.

But getting back into the Champions League is without doubt the absolute minimum for Newcastle now. The club has to make sure that themselves, and us, set our stall out for this all the time, and with an occasional cup thrown in for good measure, because looking at Chelsea today, we have absolutely no chance of beating both Chelsea and manu to the title at least until the Russian gets fed up of his football club. we had our chance in 1996 and didn't quite do it.

42030[/snapback]

I don't think we'll ever be in with a chance of the title until Shepherd revises his policy on selecting managers. With Robson we had a one-off - a manager with massive experience who just happened to be a local lad. There's nobody else in the game like that, and it's time for Shepherd to come to terms with this fact and start to find someone with huge experience who is foreign, because the British managers around that would be available to us are all sub-standard for what we want the club to achieve. I include Souness in that assessment, but I think if we got rid of him tomorrow, Shepherd would replace him with a similarly sub-standard man. That's why I'm not calling for him to go - it would just be another costly bit of contractual wrangling followed by further disappointment when it becomes apparent to us all that the new man is maybe half a pace in the right direction at best.

I don't think we'll ever be in with a chance of the title until Shepherd revises his policy on selecting managers.  With Robson we had a one-off - a manager with massive experience who just happened to be a local lad.  There's nobody else in the game like that, and it's time for Shepherd to come to terms with this fact and start to find someone with huge experience who is foreign, because the British managers around that would be available to us are all sub-standard for what we want the club to achieve.  I include Souness in that assessment, but I think if we got rid of him tomorrow, Shepherd would replace him with a similarly sub-standard man.  That's why I'm not calling for him to go - it would just be another costly bit of contractual wrangling followed by further disappointment when it becomes apparent to us all that the new man is maybe half a pace in the right direction at best.

42033[/snapback]

Well yes I agree. I just hope that Shepherd gets lucky, you never know.

If he does, we would have a chance of winning the title, because he would back him.

How long will Abramovic stay at Chelsea though, this is the question. Because even Arsenal and Liverpool - who are both better clubs than us just now - have no chance of finishing above them and Manu, they might finish above one of them at various times, but not both.

One day, we will have a manager at Newcastle who knows what he is doing, will create a good atmosphere, manage his players, buy and sell well, build a proper club and put us where we belong again, all of these things like Keegan did.

Edited by LeazesMag

When Abramovic first turned up I was hopeful that it would be a short term thing and that after a couple of trophyless seasons he'd pack in and fuck off. Unfortunately Mourinho came along and turned a bottomless pit of money into a trophy-winning, totally dominant football side and it now looks like Abramovic might be here for the long term.

When you think about it, why would he leave? It's the perfect plaything and he's actually winning things and getting to bask in the reflected glory of his time whilst pissing about on his yacht etc.

I think the best hope we all have is that Mourinho gets sick of Chelsea and sick of having all the money in the world to spend on players and decides it's time to look for a new challenge. I think with any manager other than Mourinho Chelsea will still be challenging for trophies on all fronts, but they won't dominate like they are at the minute. Maybe then Abramovic will get restless......

It will be interesting to see how Abramovitch reacts if and when they win the Champions league.

Of course they now claim they are run as a "proper" business and can sustain their wages so in that context Mourinho becomes a bigger factor.

When Abramovic first turned up I was hopeful that it would be a short term thing and that after a couple of trophyless seasons he'd pack in and fuck off.  Unfortunately Mourinho came along and turned a bottomless pit of money into a trophy-winning, totally dominant football side and it now looks like Abramovic might be here for the long term.

When you think about it, why would he leave?  It's the perfect plaything and he's actually winning things and getting to bask in the reflected glory of his time whilst pissing about on his yacht etc.

I think the best hope we all have is that Mourinho gets sick of Chelsea and sick of having all the money in the world to spend on players and decides it's time to look for a new challenge.  I think with any manager other than Mourinho Chelsea will still be challenging for trophies on all fronts, but they won't dominate like they are at the minute.  Maybe then Abramovic will get restless......

42044[/snapback]

The one thing I don't understand about Abramovic is, why the fuck did he choose bloody Chelsea ????????

The one thing I don't understand about Abramovic is, why the fuck did he choose bloody Chelsea ????????

42047[/snapback]

Spurs were being too difficult and Chelsea were cheap and easy thanks to Bates being desperate to sell.