4-5-1, the abortion of football tactics

Isegrim

Cruyff says 4-5-1 is a sign of bunker mentality

Lawrence Donegan

Saturday October 1, 2005

The Guardian

Watching Johan Cruyff play golf is a disorientating experience, not least because it is hard to reconcile the leaden-footed hacker traipsing the fairways of Kingsbarns and Carnoustie over the last couple of days with the balletic genius who graced the world football stage in the early 70s. After 36 holes featuring more wicked hooks than fight night at Caesars Palace, the Dutch master would gladly settle for a decent start when he tees it up at St Andrews today; 4-5-1, perhaps? "On the golf course, maybe," he concedes. On the football pitch, however, it is an entirely different matter.

Article continues

Cruyff was the personification of Rinus Michels' dream of "Total Football" - a system of play notable for, among other things, a total rejection of systems. Rigid formation and defensive-mindedness were abandoned in favour of a more expressive, free-flowing, attacking game. It is a philosophy of football that Cruyff carried into his own successful career as a coach, when he guided Barcelona to four Spanish League titles and their only European Cup triumph, and it is a philosophy of football completely at odds with the 4-5-1 formation now beloved by half of the Premiership managers and blamed for hastening the end of English football as watchable entertainment.

"4-5-1?" he says, shrugging the shoulders that made fools of a thousand defenders. "Never. It was always 4-3-3 for me as a player and as manager, just like [Frank] Rijkaard at Barcelona. With 4-3-3, it's much easier to make combinations going forward. With only one forward, who is he going to pass to? Who is he going to make combinations with? Football is about having the best offensive play possible. I always like to play offensive football and nobody will convince me otherwise." Not even given the success that Jose Mourinho has had at Chelsea with his modified 4-5-1 - 4-3-3, when Damien Duff and Arjen Robben are pushing up on the full-backs) - it seems.

Cruyff is still based in Spain, where he spends most of his time co-ordinating the work of a chain of sports business schools he has founded around the world. That means he does not get much chance too watch a lot of English football but he saw enough of Mourinho during the last combustible Champions League games with Barca to remain unimpressed, both on a personal and professional level.

"I suppose you would say he's a good coach in a pragmatic sense," Cruyff says, "but I believe football managers have a duty to be entertaining too. The result is not always the only thing, especially for big teams like Chelsea and Barcelona. Mourinho says the only important thing is winning but I think it should only be the small teams who are obsessed with winning because that will keep them in the top division. The top teams have a responsibility to more than just their own club. They have a duty to the game."

But can't a team be too entertaining? After all, the Dutch national side featuring the likes of Cruyff, Johan Neeskens, Arie Haan, Rudi Krol and Jonny Rep is deified by football purists but they did not actually win a major tournament. "Sure, but that's the way we wanted to play the game. I'm proud of how we played the game."

But if Cruyff is generally dismissive of Chelsea, he never misses an opportunity to praise his friend Rijkaard and the job he is doing at Camp Nou. In pure footballing terms, he believes the current Barcelona team are the best in Europe. "I saw lots of entertaining games there last year, and that's because Rijkaard plays 4-3-3. He gets the defence very close to the midfield, which means the opponent has less space. And if they have less space, then they need a lot of technique to survive. That's where Barcelona takes advantage; Barcelona has a lot of technique."

No doubt, the Stamford Bridge press officer would be stepping in at this stage to remind Cruyff that Chelsea actually beat his beloved Barca last year. "Well, they did. But a team is always going to have a few bad games in a season. That is what happens in football," he says, before grudgingly conceding that Mourihno's side "played intelligently" over the two games. "The Chelsea manager didn't show enough respect. If you are a top manager you have to show other people respect. But I guess he is young, I guess he still has a lot to learn."

As have most of the other Premiership clubs, apparently, especially when it comes to nurturing young talent. The 4-5-1 system may be anathema to Cruyff, but he argues that the formation du jour is not the main problem facing English football. A couple of days before the start of the Dunhill Links Challenge, Cruyff and Ian Poulter took a private jet to Amsterdam to watch Arsenal's Champions League tie against Ajax. Poulter, a Highbury regular, might have been delighted with the 2-1 win. Cruyff was dispirited.

"A very poor game," he said. "Both teams had some injuries but even so, there was a lot of poor play, a lot of poor technique. I think the difficulties go back to the youth development systems. If you have a good youth development system, then it is obvious first team will one day be good too. It's not hard to get things right; all that is required is a lot of hard work."

A bit like Johan Cruyff's golf swing, in fact.

Much as I respect Cruyff, I don't particularly like former managers criticising current managers. It sounds bitter IMO. It reminds me of Venables. Not quite man enough to carry on putting his neck on the block for fear of failure, but able to pick apart the minutiae of someone elses tactics.

Having said that, Mourinho probably couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks and that's exactly how it should be. :lol:

Chelsea are a shoe-in for the CL this year.

41602[/snapback]

Rubbish. Certainly contenders, but they'll find some the teams in the knockout stages a lot more demanding than the second rate stuff they play in the Prem week in week out.

41602[/snapback]

No such thing IMO.

41610[/snapback]

If he's said shoo-in, then maybe. And it's the 2nd time he's made this error tbh.

41602[/snapback]

No such thing IMO.

41610[/snapback]

If he's said shoo-in, then maybe. And it's the 2nd time he's made this error tbh.

42182[/snapback]

:lol:

The lad only opens his mouth to change his feet tbh.

41602[/snapback]

Juve will win it for me

43221[/snapback]

You must mean a lot to them!

Firstly if he thinks we are a boring team he can have a look at the stats - least number of long balls, most goals.

Second, I dont think we are given finalists for the CL. Sure we do have a fair shot at getting to the final, but its going to be a difficult task.

All the big clubs have upped their squads and the likes of Madrid and Juve will prove tougher opposition this time.

If I had to put money, I would probably put it on Juve. We can definately get to the last 4, after that its all crunch. One things for sure, Jose has his eyes on the cup and the players will try harder as we have been knocked out of the semis 2 years in a row.

Cheers

Firstly if he thinks we are a boring team he can have a look at the stats - least number of long balls, most goals.

43337[/snapback]

I'd like to see those stats because judging from last season with Drogba up front Chelsea developed a bit of a hoofing habit. It definitely didn't look very entertaining to me.

And in my opinion Crujif has every right to moan, over more than two decades he provided fantastic football, both as a player and as a manager.

I'd like to see those stats because judging from last season with Drogba up front Chelsea developed a bit of a hoofing habit. It definitely didn't look very entertaining to me.

And in my opinion Crujif has every right to moan, over more than two decades he provided fantastic football, both as a player and as a manager.

43346[/snapback]

Totally agree with that.

You don't need stats, just take it from football fans who aren't biased either for or against Chelsea that are watching them play. My girlfriend supports them so I watch them (TV) nearly every week. I have a lot of repect for Mourinho for what he did on a limited budget at Porto but what he's doing at Chelsea is a bit of a joke. Unlimited cheque book and he can't win and entertain? I had a real soft spot for Chelsea which is fast diminishing, and it's not related to their success, they bore me senseless.

You can support him to the hilt if you like Yojic but he couldn't care less about entertaining the fans, he doesn't care what you think.

Here are a few stats

----------

SHOTS ON TARGET (inc goals )

Chelsea.........................43

Manchester City..............39

Arsenal.........................36

Tottenham Hotspur..........31

Blackburn Rovers.............30

SHOOTING ACCURACY

Chelsea....................49.4%

Sunderland................48.9%

Tottenham Hotspur....48.4%

Manchester City.........48.1%

Birmingham City.......47.5

PASSING ACCURACY

Chelsea....................84.3%

Arsenal.....................83.1%

Manchester United.....82.5%

Liverpool..................78.3%

Tottenham Hotspur....78.0%

SHORT PASS ACCURACY

Chelsea.....................88.4%

Manchester United....86.6%

Arsenal.....................84.2%

Charlton Athletic.......83.9%

Portsmouth............83.3%

CORNERS INTO BOX ACCURACY

Chelsea.....................43.9%

Charlton Athletic.......43.8%

Everton....................43.3%

Fulham...................43.2%

Tottenham Hotspur....40.9%

SAVES TO SHOTS RATIO

Chelsea.....................91.7%

Tottenham Hotspur...87.0%

Charlton Athletic.......84.6%

Manchester United....84.2%

Liverpool...................83.3%

----

Here are some more

Here

-----

And here are the long/short ball stats that you talk about

Try and enlarge this

-----

Incase you want to check the top 100 players in the EPL

-----

I agree Stats often dont say much. But if you want stats then iv just given them to you. You cant dispute the fact that we have 18 goals already from 8 games and conceded only 2. We play the least long balls and the most short passes and the rest of the above stats speak for themselves.

Cheers

Edited by Yogic

I have a lot of repect for Mourinho for what he did on a limited budget at Porto but what he's doing at Chelsea is a bit of a joke. Unlimited cheque book and he can't win and entertain? I had a real soft spot for Chelsea which is fast diminishing, and it's not related to their success, they bore me senseless.

You can support him to the hilt if you like Yojic but he couldn't care less about entertaining the fans, he doesn't care what you think.

Money cannot get you success, it cannot get you entertainment and it cannot get you love.

I have done a lot of research on Jose, read the book, 98,234 articles and mapped his history all the way down to his first club. I understand why he plays the way he does, what his priorities are and what he feels for the fans.

The entertainment will come, the beautiful football will come. It took time last season and it will take a few games this season as well.

And at the end of the day its not all about one touch passing or football that pleases the eye (as Norwich). Its about getting the 'result' you want/need. Ask any manager in the world today what they would want (1) ugly result (2) beautiful loss and I guarantee you they will go for the first option.

Sure with all the talent at our disposal we are capable of achieving both, we are capable of playing super ball and winning. But its not as easy as it sounds. There are 4 competitions, a total of about 60 games + Internationals, there are injuries, opponents are tough, tactics come into play. Its not all about putting on your boots and going to the park for a game. Its Chess between 2 managers and if you make the right moves you win, and at the end of the day winning is what counts.

But I promise you, we will play super ball and we will be more of a one touch attacking side. Its just that Jose has a way of doing things, if he feels the time to attack is between the 70th and 78th minute then that’s exactly what he will ask the players to do and it always works. That explains the 1-0 wins which look boring, but at the start of the season its more important to get the points than please the press.

Cryuff was one of the best at the game, and he can say what he likes as he is entitled to his opinion. But there is a disadvantage to playing the way he speaks of and Barcelona are a prime example of that.

Cheers

Money cannot get you success, it cannot get you entertainment and it cannot get you love.

I have done a lot of research on Jose, read the book, 98,234 articles and mapped his history all the way down to his first club. I understand why he plays the way he does, what his priorities are and what he feels for the fans.

The entertainment will come, the beautiful football will come. It took time last season and it will take a few games this season as well.

I do not dispute your knowledge and of course you can understand why his Mourinho doing the things the way he does. Though I disagree with this philosophy. Money cannot get you success? Chelsea won the title and will win it again. Even if not being able to lure the real top star players to the club they were able to buy very good players. Then they got rid of Ranieri the clown and got the best manager available. So yes money does get you success.

The entertainment will come? I hope so. I don't dispute the statistics you posted above and the clearly prove something. I only have seen Chelsea once this season (last weekend) and maybe they have changed their style. But judging them by last season there were a lot of games were Chelsea were just resorting to a hoofing game. The games against Bayern and several other CL games spring to my mind.

And at the end of the day its not all about one touch passing or football that pleases the eye (as Norwich). Its about getting the 'result' you want/need. Ask any manager in the world today what they would want (1) ugly result (2) beautiful loss and I guarantee you they will go for the first option.

Sure with all the talent at our disposal we are capable of achieving both, we are capable of playing super ball and winning. But its not as easy as it sounds. There are 4 competitions, a total of about 60 games + Internationals, there are injuries, opponents are tough, tactics come into play. Its not all about putting on your boots and going to the park for a game. Its Chess between 2 managers and if you make the right moves you win, and at the end of the day winning is what counts.

Obviously, in the end you are judged by results. And of course tactics play are very important matter in the game. Newcastle are in their current position because they have somebody in charge who doesn't believe in them. But I am with Crujiff here. Teams capable of being entertaining also have a duty to the game and the fans. Especially as they are more and more degraded to being customers. If in England you are forced to folk out 40+ quid to watch 90 mins of football then you can expect some kind of reward. And that is especially if you have the kind of players at your disposal who can offer this entertainment. For me it is often a shame to see how the talent of players like Robben and Duff is wasted by the defensive duties they have to fullfill.

But I promise you, we will play super ball and we will be more of a one touch attacking side. Its just that Jose has a way of doing things, if he feels the time to attack is between the 70th and 78th minute then that’s exactly what he will ask the players to do and it always works. That explains the 1-0 wins which look boring, but at the start of the season its more important to get the points than please the press.

I hope you are right, but I am not as optimistic as you.

Cryuff was one of the best at the game, and he can say what he likes as he is entitled to his opinion. But there is a disadvantage to playing the way he speaks of and Barcelona are a prime example of that.

43457[/snapback]

Barcelona are a prime example of what? Ok, they haven't won the CL last season, but they were a bit unlucky to go out. But - and that might be even more important to them - the won the Spanish title. The first after six years. And they won it by playing entertaining, attractive football.

Cruifff once said: "Winning isn't everything, it's how you play." In my eyes he certainly has a point. Take the Dutch team of the 70s. Of course they aren't remembered for their titles. Still a lot of people can name you all the fantastic players and games. "Total football" became a sort of a Dutch trademark. By this they also made their stamp in football history.

With the money and the club at his disposal Cruiff was able to do both at Barca. He played total football with the likes of Laudrup, Stoitchkov, the young Figo etc. and he was able to have success. So attractiveness doesn't rule out success.

Cheers

Cheers. And even if I strongly disagree with your view, it's a pleasure to read your posts. If only Chelsea's style of football could only provide half of the entertainment... ;)

I do not dispute your knowledge and of course you can understand why his Mourinho doing the things the way he does. Though I disagree with this philosophy. Money cannot get you success? Chelsea won the title and will win it again. Even if not being able to lure the real top star players to the club they were able to buy very good players. Then they got rid of Ranieri the clown and got the best manager available. So yes money does get you success.

The entertainment will come? I hope so. I don't dispute the statistics you posted above and the clearly prove something. I only have seen Chelsea once this season (last weekend) and maybe they have changed their style. But judging them by last season there were a lot of games were Chelsea were just resorting to a hoofing game. The games against Bayern and several other CL games spring to my mind.

Money cannot buy you success and that’s a given. Real Madrid are a prime example. They have arguably the most talented and highly rated players in the world. They are considered the cream of the crop. What have they won in the last 2 years?

I agree we went out and brought in the most talented manager in world football. But that alone does not solve the problem. Its the work rate the boys put in that makes us successful. Its the concentration, the planning, the tactics and the willingness to follow them, the ability to read and stamp authority that has given us the title.

Jose hasten bought a single 'World Class' (although that term has no value anymore) player. All his imports have been players not many have heard of. Ricardo, Ferrera, Tiago, Jarosik and Kezman. These were his buys. Drogba, Cech and Robben were lined up by Raneri. However, Jose did want Drogba too.

I agree that we might not have been able to do this without Romans money. BUT (and a very big one that) spending 200M does not guarantee anything. Leeds, Liverpool (170M spent by Houllier) and to an extent even Newcastle have all spent big and achieved little. Sure, money will solve the first part of the problem, but that’s hardly the difficult part. The difficult part is to get the team to work as a disciplined unit, to get the players to gel and to manage them correctly. And the latter, I believe is what gave us the title last season and will give it to us again this season, hopefully.

Arsenal are the only side to spend little and win so much as well as entertain, and hats off to Wenger. But his unwillingness to do it the correct way (tactis) has been his downfall in Europe and thus he has never gone further than the group stages.

-

The entertainment will come, there is no doubt about that. We have the quality, but at this stage whats important is to get the points and be in a comfortable zone as I feel we are concentrating on the CL more this season.

Obviously, in the end you are judged by results. And of course tactics play are very important matter in the game. Newcastle are in their current position because they have somebody in charge who doesn't believe in them. But I am with Crujiff here. Teams capable of being entertaining also have a duty to the game and the fans. Especially as they are more and more degraded to being customers. If in England you are forced to folk out 40+ quid to watch 90 mins of football then you can expect some kind of reward. And that is especially if you have the kind of players at your disposal who can offer this entertainment. For me it is often a shame to see how the talent of players like Robben and Duff is wasted by the defensive duties they have to fullfill.

I couldnt agree with you more. The players have a duty towards the fans and I have been very disappointed with Robbens form this season. But its been only 8 games, there is a new strategy this season with Essien and players are still adapting. It will take time, but it will come. Its never good to peak too early, just as Gerrard about that!

I hope you are right, but I am not as optimistic as you.

And I can understand that. But world football is changing and the most 'effective' teams in the world hardly worry about super ball. IMO Jose and Capello are the top two now and will be for many years to come. If you watch Juve they are a very boring side too. But like I said, its early on and both managers know when to play what type of football.

Barcelona are a prime example of what? Ok, they haven't won the CL last season, but they were a bit unlucky to go out. But - and that might be even more important to them - the won the Spanish title. The first after six years. And they won it by playing entertaining, attractive football.

Cruifff once said: "Winning isn't everything, it's how you play." In my eyes he certainly has a point. Take the Dutch team of the 70s. Of course they aren't remembered for their titles. Still a lot of people can name you all the fantastic players and games. "Total football" became a sort of a Dutch trademark. By this they also made their stamp in football history.

With the money and the club at his disposal Cruiff was able to do both at Barca. He played total football with the likes of Laudrup, Stoitchkov, the young Figo etc. and he was able to have success. So attractiveness doesn't rule out success.

Barcelona are a prime example that beautiful football can make you lose, and lose bad. They let in 4 goals in 4 consecutive games last season. They won the league and I wont take anything away from that, but much of it was down to Real playing the worst football Iv seen them play for years. I dont doubt their ability to attack and in Ronaldinho they have one of the most inventive players today, but they way Rijkaard plays he leaves his side open in an L shape horizontally and if he is up against a smart manager his team will get ripped. Just look at their results this season, they are struggling to win at home even!

"Winning isnt everything, its how you play"

Let me ask you something, If you were given the choice of watching Newcastle win the league in the 06-07 season with a few boring, few entertaining and few scrappy games | or watching them play the most attractive football in the league and end up in 11th spot - which would you pick?

Certain players and managers have ambitions, they want to win and dominate. One cannot afford play beautiful football and dominate at the same time, its difficult, just ask the Italians. However, a dominating side can afford to play entertaining football - cautiously. Its all down to the manager.

Even if we are 3-0 up in a game, Jose will not ask the players to attack at full throttle because he does not like conceding goals. He has instilled that mentality in the players. Each goal conceded itches them and they hate it. If you don’t concede you are guaranteed of a point, so its the most important thing to do. In other words, a 1-0 win would be more welcome than a 5-2 win.

Cheers. And even if I strongly disagree with your view, it's a pleasure to read your posts. If only Chelsea's style of football could only provide half of the entertainment...

Its a good feeling to recieve a warm welcome. I look forward to talking more football with you and this conversation has been interesting.

Best wishes

Yogic

Edited by Yogic