wifes laptop

paddy

the wife has an oldish laptop (about 2-3 years old) its so slow its unreal things wont open and it wont shut down sometrimes? also the 'restore active desktop' page is on and i cannot get rid, any help needed

:lol:

Start-->Control Panel-->Performance and Maintenance--->Sytem icon....Click on Advance Tab under Performance Click "Settings"...to get to "Visual Effects" tab---Select Let windows choose what's best.

hardly anything on it, thats the thing i cannot understand, am running defrag now it says capacity is 12.95gb!! free space 6.59gb!

Start-->Control Panel-->Performance and Maintenance--->Sytem icon....Click on Advance Tab under Performance Click "Settings"...to get to "Visual Effects" tab---Select Let windows choose what's best.

dont have that on mine!! got control panel but no Performance and Maintenance

You can get to the same screen as the one Pud describes via My Computer --> View System Information (in the top left-hand corner) --> Advanced --> under Performance Click "Settings"...to get to "Visual Effects" tab---Select Let windows choose what's best.

I guess you've done all the usual virus and spyware malarkey?

Although with windows in the end it's almost always better to slipstream an up to date version of it and reinstall every now and again.

Although with windows in the end it's almost always better to slipstream an up to date version of it and reinstall every now and again.

how what where??

how what where??

If it's XP use something like nLiteand make yourself an XP with SP3 etc. built in disk, it is possible if you've got a massive number of updates that could itself be part of the issue, but even if not it gives you the cleanest re-install you're likely to get.