Computer Won't Start Up (Vista)

Tooj

Morning Y'All,

I'm after a bit of help fixing me 'rents computer. It's Vista (yes that heap of shite) and basically it won't start up at all. As soon as it gets onto the Vista screen when starting up, then next it becomes the blue screen of death and just shuts down. I even can't do things such as system restore by starting it up in safe mode, as when also starts up in safe mode it just does exactly the same thing.

I think something's up with the hard-drive as I've tried re-installing Vista but when I do from boot up it won't let me do so, as I've had a look at the drive properties and it's not even in NTFS format like it should be, the drive basically isn't assigned to anything.

Morning Y'All,

I'm after a bit of help fixing me 'rents computer. It's Vista (yes that heap of shite) and basically it won't start up at all. As soon as it gets onto the Vista screen when starting up, then next it becomes the blue screen of death and just shuts down. I even can't do things such as system restore by starting it up in safe mode, as when also starts up in safe mode it just does exactly the same thing.

I think something's up with the hard-drive as I've tried re-installing Vista but when I do from boot up it won't let me do so, as I've had a look at the drive properties and it's not even in NTFS format like it should be, the drive basically isn't assigned to anything.

Dunno, first try running a liveDvD/CD operating system (Knoppix or even Ubuntu etc. would do) and see if the hard drive is operational in that (or just swap it into another PC), then at least you know where to go from there.

Morning Y'All,

Dunno, first try running a liveDvD/CD operating system (Knoppix or even Ubuntu etc. would do) and see if the hard drive is operational in that (or just swap it into another PC), then at least you know where to go from there.

Already tried a live cd mate using Ubuntu and that did actually seem to be working ok.

Going by where it's falling over, it sounds like problems with the system32 directory. You tried using the recovery disk or sticking the hard drive in another machine as a slave and checking it for errors?

Dunno then, if it's not just vista's shitty anti-copy protection stopping it from reinstalling then I guess you're into hardware swapping till you can rule something out, starting with the main hard drive I guess.