Royal Mail issues 'Ashes' stamps

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Special delivery for England team

England's Ashes heroes are to be further honoured with a set of special stamps to be issued by the Royal Mail.

Andrew Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen and Michael Vaughan will be among the first living people, apart from the Royal Family, to be identifiable on stamps.

"Royal Mail is committed to celebrating social themes and important occasions central to our way of life," said head of special stamps Julietta Edgar.

The Ashes collection will be available to the public on 6 October.

It comprises two first class stamp designs and two 68p stamps for sending letters overseas.

"England's victory in this summer's Ashes series certainly counts as a momentous occasion.

"I'm sure the public will love using these stamps every day to continue the legacy of this sporting achievement," Edgar added.

England's cricketers have received several collective and individual accolades since defeating Australia 2-1 - the first time they had won an Ashes series since 1987.

Thousands lined the streets to watch their open top bus parade through London on the day after the final Test, and they were later guests of honour at a special reception at 10 Downing Street.

Last week, team captain Vaughan was given the freedom of his home city of Sheffield and spin bowler Ashley Giles is to become an honorary citizen of Droitwich Spa.

The Royal Mail has previously issued stamps to mark England's Rugby World Cup victory in 2003 and the award of the 2012 Olympics in July - but no sporting figures were clearly identifiable.

Kudos must go to the Royal Mail for making two of the stamps 68p - the exact cost of sending a letter to The Land That Culture Forgot :lol:

Some dickwad on the letters page of Ceefax or Teletext today said: 'we should put the ashes winning team on stamps.'

YOU FUCKIN' CRETIN! DO YOU NOT READ OR LISTEN TO THE NEWS? THIS PLAN WAS ANNOUNCED JUST DAYS FOLLOWING THE ASHES WIN! :blink:

Road rage? I could fuckin' strangle the dimwit. :D

:lol:

Some dickwad on the letters page of Ceefax or Teletext today said: 'we should put the ashes winning team on stamps.'

YOU FUCKIN' CRETIN! DO YOU NOT READ OR LISTEN TO THE NEWS? THIS PLAN WAS ANNOUNCED JUST DAYS FOLLOWING THE ASHES WIN! :rolleyes:

Road rage? I could fuckin' strangle the dimwit. <_<

:)

41003[/snapback]

:blink:

Teletext Rage? :D

Actually, it's always made me wonder about the type of people that would actually send a letter into something like Teletext. Just - why?! :lol:

YOU FUCKIN' CRETIN! DO YOU NOT READ OR LISTEN TO THE NEWS? THIS PLAN WAS ANNOUNCED JUST DAYS FOLLOWING THE ASHES WIN! <_<

Road rage? I could fuckin' strangle the dimwit. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

41003[/snapback]

:blink:

Teletext Rage? :D

Actually, it's always made me wonder about the type of people that would actually send a letter into something like Teletext. Just - why?! :lol:

41024[/snapback]

Not to mention the saddos who would actually sit and read the Teletext letters page. :)