FA Cup Final

Guest alex

Another name added to the list of shit teams I've seen lift trophies whilst we continue to win fuck all.

Whether you think they're shit or not, they've been considerably better than us for the last couple of seasons. Since Campbell joined them ironically enough (wasn't he too old/unreliable according to Glenn Roeder? :lol:)

Aye, but really that much better than us in 1998, 1999? And was it 2000 or 2001 where we lost to Chelsea in the semi's and they won it?

And you'd have hoped we'd have hammered this Cardiff side (and beaten that Portsmouth one) on any of those occasions. ;)

In 1998 (it's just dawned on me it's 10 years since we lost to Arsenal :calmdown:) and 1999 we were deservedly hammered by better sides. In 2000 I think Chelsea and us were very much on a par and that game deserved to be the final IMO. We were better than Chelsea as a team on the day but Poyet was the difference to me.

In much the same way I think England would have beaten Argentina in the 1990 world cup final had we won the shoot-out against the West Germans, I think the 2000 FA Cup would have been ours had we met Villa in the final.

Yup, in 1998 and 1999 we lost to better team (teams that were in fact at the top of their games those years), but although in 1998 we had an easy ride to get there in 1999 we had a pretty tough one, and certainly in either of those cases would have beaten this Cardiff side and probably Portsmouth too.

Be a long time before there's an FA cup final with both teams this overall weak again I think.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another name added to the list of shit teams I've seen lift trophies whilst we continue to win fuck all.

Whether you think they're shit or not, they've been considerably better than us for the last couple of seasons. Since Campbell joined them ironically enough (wasn't he too old/unreliable according to Glenn Roeder? :calmdown: )

Aye, but really that much better than us in 1998, 1999? And was it 2000 or 2001 where we lost to Chelsea in the semi's and they won it?

And you'd have hoped we'd have hammered this Cardiff side (and beaten that Portsmouth one) on any of those occasions. :lol:

We were a very ordinary team under both Dalglish and Gullit and had quite easy runs to the final (especially with the former), finishing 13th both seasons. We were a much better team under Bobby.

Has Bobby had a stroke? He wasn't moving his left arm which hung at his side, and he looked like he had difficulty moving his left leg. Barwick was supporting him quite a bit as well. ;)

The '99 final was on ESPN Classic yesterday actually. Imagine if we had Lee, Speed and the Nobby from back then now.

Aye Luke mate, Bobby had a stroke a while ago, was at an Ipswich game iirc when it happened. :icon_lol:

Whether you think they're shit or not, they've been considerably better than us for the last couple of seasons. Since Campbell joined them ironically enough (wasn't he too old/unreliable according to Glenn Roeder? :calmdown: )

And you'd have hoped we'd have hammered this Cardiff side (and beaten that Portsmouth one) on any of those occasions. :lol:

We were a very ordinary team under both Dalglish and Gullit and had quite easy runs to the final (especially with the former), finishing 13th both seasons. We were a much better team under Bobby.

Has Bobby had a stroke? He wasn't moving his left arm which hung at his side, and he looked like he had difficulty moving his left leg. Barwick was supporting him quite a bit as well. ;)

Check Gullit's run, I wouldn't really call that "easy". Especially as Gullit was slowly going clinically insane as we went along.

Whether you think they're shit or not, they've been considerably better than us for the last couple of seasons. Since Campbell joined them ironically enough (wasn't he too old/unreliable according to Glenn Roeder? :lol:)

And you'd have hoped we'd have hammered this Cardiff side (and beaten that Portsmouth one) on any of those occasions. ;)

In 1998 (it's just dawned on me it's 10 years since we lost to Arsenal :calmdown:) and 1999 we were deservedly hammered by better sides. In 2000 I think Chelsea and us were very much on a par and that game deserved to be the final IMO. We were better than Chelsea as a team on the day but Poyet was the difference to me.

In much the same way I think England would have beaten Argentina in the 1990 world cup final had we won the shoot-out against the West Germans, I think the 2000 FA Cup would have been ours had we met Villa in the final.

Yup, in 1998 and 1999 we lost to better team (teams that were in fact at the top of their games those years), but although in 1998 we had an easy ride to get there in 1999 we had a pretty tough one, and certainly in either of those cases would have beaten this Cardiff side and probably Portsmouth too.

Be a long time before there's an FA cup final with both teams this overall weak again I think.

Aye, the double winners in 1998 and the treble winners in 1999. Outside of us, most football fans have forgotten we took part in the '99 final as it was largely overlooked as the prelude to the Champions League final a few days later.

Has Bobby had a stroke? He wasn't moving his left arm which hung at his side, and he looked like he had difficulty moving his left leg. Barwick was supporting him quite a bit as well. :icon_lol:

Check Gullit's run, I wouldn't really call that "easy". Especially as Gullit was slowly going clinically insane as we went along.

Can't remember who we played (spurs in the semi?) but there IIRC it was lower premiership teams and below. Certainly no-one that we didn't expect to beat.

Regardless, we were a better team under Bobby, he took us to the Champions League.

Cheers Jonny, I remember now you mention it. Let's hope he keeps on going. :lol:

Has Bobby had a stroke? He wasn't moving his left arm which hung at his side, and he looked like he had difficulty moving his left leg. Barwick was supporting him quite a bit as well. :icon_lol:

Can't remember who we played (spurs in the semi?) but there IIRC it was lower premiership teams and below. Certainly no-one that we didn't expect to beat.

Regardless, we were a better team under Bobby, he took us to the Champions League.

Cheers Jonny, I remember now you mention it. Let's hope he keeps on going. :lol:

Still not really an easy ride comparatively though, probably a slightly above average in difficulty ride, just down to the number of Premiership sides and higher lower division, even if not hitting either of the then big 2 (until the final).

If we'd come up against West Ham or Villa, Derby, Leicester or Boro, or even Liverpool in the final (all there abouts Portsmouth position now), you'd have fancied our chances. Or like I said even that team vs the current Portsmouth and certainly Cardiff.

If Newcastle ever win the FA cup again, it'll probably only be after having faced the entire Top 4 in consecutive rounds. :woosh:

Redknapp the googley eyed fuck

"No other team would get a turn out like this"

Get fucked you cockney wanker

I can't be the only one who suspects the polis to come knocking at 'Mr media darling's' door one day? And I shirley can't be the only one who hopes they do ? :calmdown:

If he does get 'collared' it will all be a misunderstanding, of course.

Guest Stevie

Understatement of the century. We raped Chelsea, I've seen us play worse than that and win by four goals. I think the shots stats were something like 21 to 4 in our favour.

Portsmouth winning the Cup oh dear. They are a fucking nothing club, it boils my piss when people say what a great club they are and what great support they have, that'll be why they averaged less than 9000 four seasons running from 95 to 98, and had a gate of TWO THOUSAND against Blackburn seven years ago. There's bigger clubs in League One. This is a place with a catchment area comparable to ours.

Guest Stevie

We had a far bigger turnout when we were promoted!

Actually that's no exaggeration. I watched the parade on the TV yesterday and in most places, it was only about 3 people deep.

When we got promoted they reckoned about 200,000 lined the streets from Gosforth to the Civic Centre. I was stood on top of a shop front on St Mary's Place thanks to some plod who give me a lift up! :calmdown:

Actually that's no exaggeration. I watched the parade on the TV yesterday and in most places, it was only about 3 people deep.

When we got promoted they reckoned about 200,000 lined the streets from Gosforth to the Civic Centre. I was stood on top of a shop front on St Mary's Place thanks to some plod who give me a lift up! :calmdown:

Me dad wouldn't take me the bastard. :lol:

Guest alex
It was miles better than last years.

Last year's was absolutely terrible but I wouldn't say this year's was 'miles better'.

Me dad wouldn't take me the bastard. ;)

I was supposed to be doing GCSE revision but fuck that.... this was FAR more important :lol:

Guest Stevie

When we got promoted they reckoned about 200,000 lined the streets from Gosforth to the Civic Centre. I was stood on top of a shop front on St Mary's Place thanks to some plod who give me a lift up! :)

Me dad wouldn't take me the bastard. :angry:

I was supposed to be doing GCSE revision but fuck that.... this was FAR more important :)

I fuckin love the toon.

When we got promoted they reckoned about 200,000 lined the streets from Gosforth to the Civic Centre. I was stood on top of a shop front on St Mary's Place thanks to some plod who give me a lift up! :)

I was supposed to be doing GCSE revision but fuck that.... this was FAR more important :)

I was only 8 though. :blush:

Guest Stevie

You must be 31? I did my GCSE's the next season, after we beat Arsenal 2-0. There was more than 200,000 as well, estimates were from 250-500,000. I bet there was more at wors than when the dippers won the CL.

Me dad wouldn't take me the bastard. :blush:

I was supposed to be doing GCSE revision but fuck that.... this was FAR more important :angry:

You must be 31? I did my GCSE's the next season, after we beat Arsenal 2-0. There was more than 200,000 as well, estimates were from 250-500,000. I bet there was more at wors than when the dippers won the CL.

I will be 31 in July, aye...

Could quite easily have been 300,000 there. I remember the grounds of the Civic Centre being absolutely swamped with fans. Some loons had even got up on to the roof of the church somehow :)

Arsenal had just won the Cup Winners' Cup hadn't they?

Pretty sure that was 1994. They won the FA Cup in 1993.

Wasn't 1995 the "Nayim from the halfway line!" final?

Guest Stevie
Arsenal had just won the Cup Winners' Cup hadn't they?

Pretty sure that was 1994. They won the FA Cup in 1993.

Wasn't 1995 the "Nayim from the halfway line!" final?

Aye but Alex is right, it was 1994 when we did the guard of honour for them as they had beaten a Tino and Brolin laden Parma on the Wednesday neet.