The shit list

Torres

Not really.

A. Jose Enrique shouldn't be in anyway considered a bad singing.

B. Alan Smith - though pretty useless - isn't the worst by a long way

Top 10 Great Growing Fragrant Roses

From Marie Iannotti,

All roses are beautiful, but add the dimension of fragrance and you have exceptional roses. The ten roses listed here were chosen by the 'All America Rose Selections' (AARS) as having 'Fabulous Fragrance'.

The AARS sorts through all the new rose introductions each year and chooses only one to a handful of the top performers to be awarded their Rose(s) of the Year designation. Out of all the winners since the 1960s, these 10 made their list of top ten for fragrance.

1. Double Delight

AARS Winner Rosa 'Double Delight'

View Full-Size

Double Delight, a hybrid tea rose with a long season of bloom, was an AARS winner back in 1977. The double blossoms have a rich, creamy white to pale pink center with deep, ruby edging. They have a bushy habit, growing to about 4-5 feet with a 2-3 foot spread.

Double Delight shows good disease resistance, although less so in wet weather, which also does in the blossoms. Expect a sweet, spicy scent.

Zones 5-9

2. Elle

AARS Winner Rosa 'Sun Sprinkles'

View Full-Size

Elle, a 2005 winner, is another hybrid tea rose. She displays above average disease resistance, especially to black spot and mildew. The blossoms are a soft, shell pink set off by glossy, dark green foliage. All of that plus a spicy, citrusy scent.

Elle promises to make an excellent cut flower, with 4-5 inch wide blooms held on 10-14 inch stems.

Zones 7-10

3. 4th of July

In 1999, Fourth of July was the first climbing rose to win the AARS award in 23 years. The blossoms are everything you'd expect from a rose named 4th of July, clusters of large 4 inch flowers in vibrant red with white stripes, on 10-14 foot arching canes.

As with all the roses listed here, the scent is exceptional. 4th of July has the added bonus of being a repeat bloomer.

Zones 5-9

4. Honey Perfume

Not many floribunda roses boast any scent, let alone deserve the name of Honey Perfume. A wonderful spicy scent and apricot yellow blooms truly set Honey Perfume apart from the already wonderful category of floribundas.

Growing about 3-4 feet high and 2-3 feet wide, Honey Perfume makes a great specimen or low hedge. It exhibits very good rust and mildew resistance.

Zones 6-10

5. Memorial Day

Memorial Day is arguably the front runner for fragrance. As AARS puts it, "experts say one bloom perfumes almost an entire room." This is another of the popular hybrid teas and was an AARS winner in 2004. Memorial Day has 5 inch, clear pink blossoms with a lavender glow about them.

The fragrance is described as similar to the old fashioned damask roses. Cutting stems are nice and long and the bushes are an especially good choice for hot climates.

Zones 7-10

6. Midas Touch

Midas Touch won its AARS prize back in 1994 and can be found in many gardens today. It shines with golden yellow 4 inch blossoms on an upright 5 foot plant. Midas Touch is yet another hybrid tea beauty with a warm, musky scent.

Zones 4-9

7. Mr. Lincoln

It's hard to believe Mr. Lincoln won his AARS distinction back in 1965. The velvety, deep red hybrid tea is still one of the most popularly grown garden roses.

Beautiful as well as strongly scented, Mr. Lincoln's blossoms are held are stiff, upright stems. The bushes can be expected to grow 4-5 feet tall and about 2 feet across.

Zones 5-9

8. Scentimental

This spicy scented floribunda was the first striped rose to win the AARS award. With burgundy and creamy white stripes, Scentimental hardly needs its wonderful fragrance to attract attention, but that's what made it an award winner in 1997.

Zones 6-10

9. Sheer Bliss

Sheer Bliss is a delicate, pale pink hybrid tea. While it needs a bit of winter protection, its delicate beauty, and mild, but sweet fragrance and repeat blooming habit make it a standout favorite. The large flowers bloom on long stems, perfect for cutting.

Hardiness info is scant, but most agree it will survive to Zone 6.

10. Sun Sprinkles

Sun Sprinkles, a miniature rose, won its award in 2001. Brilliant yellow blooms open early and repeat all summer. With excellent disease resistance, Sun Sprinkles is a great choice even in a garden with limited space.

Growing in low and mounded to about 18 - 24 inches, Sun Sprinkles can be used as an edger, in containers or as a specimen. The spicy, musky fragrance and vivid color will make people stop for a closer look.

Zones 6-10

More lazy journalism by an armchair fan who watches the alleged 'big four' live on the tele and the rest of us on MOTD. What we need is a cull.

Hey, less of the 'armchair fan' comments please :cuppa:

More lazy journalism by an armchair fan who watches the alleged 'big four' live on the tele and the rest of us on MOTD. What we need is a cull.

Hey, less of the 'armchair fan' comments please :victory:

:cuppa:

and that's only hard to argue with if you've seen no football this season

frankly it's a shit shit list

http://www.sportingo.com/Football/a8701_Ne...RST-buys-season

Another =

Huge amounts of money has changed hands to bring potential superstars in to clubs, but some deals have simply been a waste of money.

'With no league goals to his name, he is destined to be sold in the summer. No doubt at a loss'

After a season full of highs and lows, which players rank amongst the worst signings of the season? In my humble opinion, there have been many terrible signings, but these are my top three:

Jose Enrique (Newcastle, £6 million): Jose who? Exactly. Bought by Sam Allardyce, Enrique became the worst purchase ever in Big Sam's managerial career. For £6m, he was supposed to be one of the best left-backs in the league, but he turned out to be slow and unskilful.

David Nugent (Portsmouth, £6 million): Before the season started, some managers were fighting over the signature of Nugent. How Harry Redknapp must be cursing that he got his man ahead of his rivals. Nugent failed to shine and has looked lethargic in many games. With no league goals to his name, he is destined to be sold in the summer. No doubt at a loss.

Darren Bent (Tottenham, £16.5 million): Top scorer for Charlton in many seasons, Bent made his multi-million pound move to Spurs, rejecting a more profitable deal from West Ham. Burdened with a huge price tag, he failed to light up the scoring charts like his fellow strikers. Becoming third-choice striker at the Lane, his appearances on the pitch led to the eventual departure of Jermain "I want to play" Defoe but eight goals to his name is a disastrous tally. Clearly an inferior player to Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov and even the departed Defoe. Money down the drain

What the fuck do people have against Enrique?

Another =

Huge amounts of money has changed hands to bring potential superstars in to clubs, but some deals have simply been a waste of money.

'With no league goals to his name, he is destined to be sold in the summer. No doubt at a loss'

After a season full of highs and lows, which players rank amongst the worst signings of the season? In my humble opinion, there have been many terrible signings, but these are my top three:

Jose Enrique (Newcastle, £6 million): Jose who? Exactly. Bought by Sam Allardyce, Enrique became the worst purchase ever in Big Sam's managerial career. For £6m, he was supposed to be one of the best left-backs in the league, but he turned out to be slow and unskilful.

David Nugent (Portsmouth, £6 million): Before the season started, some managers were fighting over the signature of Nugent. How Harry Redknapp must be cursing that he got his man ahead of his rivals. Nugent failed to shine and has looked lethargic in many games. With no league goals to his name, he is destined to be sold in the summer. No doubt at a loss.

Darren Bent (Tottenham, £16.5 million): Top scorer for Charlton in many seasons, Bent made his multi-million pound move to Spurs, rejecting a more profitable deal from West Ham. Burdened with a huge price tag, he failed to light up the scoring charts like his fellow strikers. Becoming third-choice striker at the Lane, his appearances on the pitch led to the eventual departure of Jermain "I want to play" Defoe but eight goals to his name is a disastrous tally. Clearly an inferior player to Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov and even the departed Defoe. Money down the drain

Complete and utter SPECTACULAR failure

Not really.

Yup.

Enrique is still young and only in his 1st Premiership season and isn't that bad anyway (Carr would be a worse one surely?).

And in fairness to Alan Smith has largely been a bit part role that has been all over the place, and often in a team that frankly was suffering from problems a lot more serious than any single player.

Another =

What are you talking about?

Another =

the bit I put in bold not your bit

it's just complete rubbish

Another =

the bit I put in bold not your bit

it's just complete rubbish

I was going to say :calmdown:

Not really.

Yup.

Enrique is still young and only in his 1st Premiership season and isn't that bad anyway (Carr would be a worse one surely?).

Also, not throwing him in straight from the start, but letting him adapt slowly was actually quite sensible from Fat Sam. At any other club (and from any other manager) this approach would have been hailed.

One minute people are complaining about admin abuse the next they are screaming for the banning of someone.

Fucking hell.

tbf I've never complained and I want the fucker gone

One minute people are complaining about admin abuse the next they are screaming for the banning of someone.

Fucking hell.

tbf I've never complained and I want the fucker gone

Yeh, the last person to be banned was by Johnny.

I don't think the reasons were that good but the guy was a WUM and needed to go so any excuse really!

Torres has improved his game of late and I can't really disagree with his opinion of Smith, apart from I thought he was alright at Leeds.

Fucking hell.

I think common sense is needed Tom.

All this bell end does is find shit about NUFC and post it on here rather than coming on and chatting about footy ala the Spurs kid and FCUM.

IMO warn the fucker, then ban the cunt

You, the people, have spoken. And you have been extremely forthright about our list of the 50 worst top-flight performers (or under-performers) of all time. Some of the players we selected were harshly judged, you felt – and we are prepared to hold up our hands in some cases. But many others were not judged harshly enough, as you pointed out with obvious relish.

So today we unveil the freshly-built extension to our Hall Of Shame, housing 20 players who have trooped in, heads bowed, because you demanded their inclusion.

The loudest howls of protest came from Newcastle-upon-Tyne – not about the players that we had included, but those St James’ Park legends we had omitted. Today, we aim to put that right. In fact, we could almost have filled the list entirely with players who have worn the black and white with dishonour.

As for those who may be granted early release from our rogues’ gallery, the largest vote in favour went to Claus Lundekvam, who has proved a steady and capable defender for Southampton since he realized that a reluctance to head the ball under challenge would lead to a very brief career in English football.

Related Links

The 50 worst footballers

Others who are strong candidates for rehabilitation are Larry Lloyd (“won 2 European Cups with Forest and a Uefa Cup with Liverpool and played every minute of every Liverpool game in 1973 when they won both the title and the Uefa Cup”), Vinnie Jones (“a ruthlessly effective midfield policeman”), Charlie Nicholas and Marco Materazzi.

Lundekvam was signed by Graeme Souness, who has a reputation among many of you as the manager with the worst record for poor signings for a series of clubs over a sustained period, although Gerard Houllier’s time at Liverpool is regarded less than fondly, it seems. Fortunately, few of us are ever likely to be given a chairman’s chequebook and invited to do better.

Here, though, is our supplementary list of 20 more who should never have made it past the first trial game. And remember, these are the players YOU chose.

20. Jimmy Carter (Arsenal, Liverpool): “Surely there's been a huge oversight here.... Jimmy Carter, surely the worst LFC player ever.” (Arnie, Northampton)

19. Paddy Roche (Manchester United). “If Massimo Taibi is on the list for that one game for Man Utd then surely Paddy Roche has to be on the list for every game he played!” (Steve F, Birstall, W. Yorks)

18. Alan Reeves (Wimbledon): “… the only top-flight defender ever to score two own goals (one a volley from 30 yards) and concede a penalty in the same game.” (James, London)

17. Robert Rosario (Norwich City, Nottingham Forest). “I remember a newspaper article describing Robert Rosario as being as effective as a plank of wood. He was never that good when I saw him.” (Percy, London).,

16. Igor Stepanovs (Arsenal): “If Igor Stepanovs does not make it into the top 3, I hope the 47 previous players all sue The Times for the slander of even daring to suggest that they were worse than him.”

15. Agustin Delgado (Southampton). “Another turkey for Saints. 11 appearances in 3 seasons and no goals! About as useful as a chocolate teapot!” (Tom Chapman, Southampton, UK).

14. Florin Raducioiu (West Ham). “Surely one of Mr. Redknapp’s worst signings.” (Adam, Northants.)

13. Ralph Milne (Manchester United). “Even Stretford Enders have been known to groan when his name was announced” (Grub, Surbiton, Surrey)

12. Corrado Grabbi (Blackburn Rovers). “Can't believe you've let Souness get away with the one and only 'Ciccio' Grabbi. Signed for £6m from some Italian Serie B club, picked up probably £40K per week over 2 or 3 seasons, played no more than 15 games. Woeful not the word !!” (Dave G, Warrington)

11. Juan Sebastain Veron (Manchester United, Chelsea). “How has nobody mentioned Juan Sebastian Veron!?! Cost us a fortune and was complete crap! Then went to Chelsea for a sizeable sum, and was still crap!” (Monty the Man Utd fan, Hemel Hempstead).,

10. Pascal Cygan (Arsenal): “What a relief it's been for us Gooners to see the back of him. A large fridge would have better movement than that joke.” (Danny O'B, Buncrana, Donegal).

9. Fumaca (Newcastle United): “If Fumaca, the only Brazilian ever to be unable to take a first touch, does not get in the top 25, then this list is a sham.” (Steven Ord, Newcastle). “The only Brazilian capable of falling over a ball when trying to trap it.” (Steve K, Newcastle)

8. Djimi Traore (Liverpool, Charlton Athletic, Portsmouth): “Watching him is like waiting for an accident to happen - you want to look away but can’t.” (Steve, London).

7. Paul Okon (Middlesbrough, Watford (loan), Leeds United). “Would have trouble making a Sunday pub side.” (Howard Broadwell, Nottingham, England).

6. Bruno Cheyrou (Liverpool). “Bruno (Zidane) Cheyrou, bought for looking a little bit similar!” (Simon, Macclesfield)

5. Jon Dahl Tommasson (Newcastle United). “His period in Newcastle was AWFUL.... he's is probably capable of filling that whole list alone” (Peter Ley, Aarhus, Danmark).

4. Silvio Maric (Newcastle United): “a waste of a shirt peg. Actually Newcastle could probably put out a first eleven players who would all make this list.” (Bruce, Dublin, Ireland)

3. Marcelino (Newcastle United): “Missed half a season with a broken finger.” (demondegs, Coventry); “he had a better influence on the match when he was in the sick room” (Pabs, Newcastle upon Tyne)

And in joint first place, by overwhelming popular demand:

1=. Titus Bramble and Jean-Alain Boumsong (Newcastle United).

“Oh save my soul. You have got to give praise to Titus Bramble and Jean Alain Boumsong, the best defensive pairing ever in the history of football.” (Kwame Asante, London).

“Titus the Terrible is a shocking omission. I've never seen one player strike fear into his own set of fans so much as Bramble, and then there's his sidekick, Boumsong the boy blunder.” (Danny O'B, Buncrana, Donegal)

“Boumsong …couldn't read the play, couldn't tackle without hacking a man down, couldn't mark, no positional sense....not bad for a defender.” (YMW, London)

“Bramble and Boumsong formed the worst defensive partnership I have ever seen. The funny thing is: why did every Newcastle manager over the last 7 years insist on playing Bramble? They've all been sacked and rightly so.” Alex, Southampton).

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle2048914.ece

aaaah, it was the 20 missed out of the original 50...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle2025420.ece