Don't shoot the messenger but

Jusoda Kid

Yeh but still he's painted his portrait and played his cards. Good PR can be undone quite simply as a lot of people are a bit dumb and actually buy a lot of the football press.

He can't walk about in a Newcastle shirt and suddenly buy Spurs and expect - Newcastle and Spurs fans to give him any respect.

There may be no truth in him wanting to buy Spurs. That's a separate issue for me anyway. It's just that I worry he might just have bought the club with a view to making a profit. He seems willing to ride roughshod over people when it comes to his other businesses so I can't see him giving a shit over pissing off Newcastle fans if he rakes in a load of cash in the process. I'm definitely going to wait and see what happens and I'm taking all the press stuff with a hefty pinch of salt but I just don't think his wearing a Toon top and getting the drinks in in Blu Bambu proves a thing about his intentions.

The man made £29m in two months on his Adidas shares, he lost over £100m on his HBOS shares. Given the amount of profit he could hope to make on our club and the amount of time he has to spend on us I don't think profit is his motivation. I still reckon we're a billionaire's toy thing.

That's sound logic tbf and I hope you're right.

There isn't that much money to be made in football clubs apart from a rare few. If so inclined it is a great way to use some of your residual capital and have some good days out.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh but still he's painted his portrait and played his cards. Good PR can be undone quite simply as a lot of people are a bit dumb and actually buy a lot of the football press.

He can't walk about in a Newcastle shirt and suddenly buy Spurs and expect - Newcastle and Spurs fans to give him any respect.

There may be no truth in him wanting to buy Spurs. That's a separate issue for me anyway. It's just that I worry he might just have bought the club with a view to making a profit. He seems willing to ride roughshod over people when it comes to his other businesses so I can't see him giving a shit over pissing off Newcastle fans if he rakes in a load of cash in the process. I'm definitely going to wait and see what happens and I'm taking all the press stuff with a hefty pinch of salt but I just don't think his wearing a Toon top and getting the drinks in in Blu Bambu proves a thing about his intentions.

Well Ashley is a businessman, no?

He buys, 1000 pints and chances are that will inspire some people to buy a £40 shirt. If Ashley has bought us for a profit then fair play. The best money to be made is from winning things and the international fan base that success provides.

Gate receipts and Television money wont exactly put us too far ahead of the pack.

Even Spurs league cup win will have earned them a fortune & there is a fair difference between earnings between a Club that finishes 6th and a club that finishes 12th.

Success = Money

Money (if spent well) = Success

That's one way of doing it, yes. Another way is running a tight ship, getting the wage bill down and having mid-table stability then selling at a profit. Again, I'm not saying he'll do that but I think you're wrong in the idea that spending loads to try and be successful is the only way Ashley can profit from all this. On the contrary, the latter is arguably a lot more risky. Depends why he bought us though.

Yeh I would like to think that it is long term and not just a billionaires mid life crisis.

I can't see why he would maintain us a mid table club and sell because I'm sure any prospective buyer wants success and doesn't want to hear otherwise. Someone like Ashley needs good advisers to get success out of a football club because he doesn;t know enough about it.

Bringing Keegan back has probably had a positive influence and was probably a good call as replica shirt sales and ticket sales probably went up but Ashley can't expect instant success without a major shake up in the way we do things.

I'm not a subscriber to the almost Orwellian top four theory, yes they have dominated for a while but football is football and teams can under perform and things can change.

Doesn't he bring his kids to every game and have them singing and celebrating along with him?

He'd have to be a reet twat to sell up if that's the case. Like getting the kids a puppy keeping it for a year until a bond has been formed, then drowning it.

Guest alex

He buys, 1000 pints and chances are that will inspire some people to buy a £40 shirt. If Ashley has bought us for a profit then fair play. The best money to be made is from winning things and the international fan base that success provides.

Gate receipts and Television money wont exactly put us too far ahead of the pack.

Even Spurs league cup win will have earned them a fortune & there is a fair difference between earnings between a Club that finishes 6th and a club that finishes 12th.

Success = Money

That's one way of doing it, yes. Another way is running a tight ship, getting the wage bill down and having mid-table stability then selling at a profit. Again, I'm not saying he'll do that but I think you're wrong in the idea that spending loads to try and be successful is the only way Ashley can profit from all this. On the contrary, the latter is arguably a lot more risky. Depends why he bought us though.

Yeh I would like to think that it is long term and not just a billionaires mid life crisis.

I can't see why he would maintain us a mid table club and sell because I'm sure any prospective buyer wants success and doesn't want to hear otherwise. Someone like Ashley needs good advisers to get success out of a football club because he doesn;t know enough about it.

Bringing Keegan back has probably had a positive influence and was probably a good call as replica shirt sales and ticket sales probably went up but Ashley can't expect instant success without a major shake up in the way we do things.

I'm not a subscriber to the almost Orwellian top four theory, yes they have dominated for a while but football is football and teams can under perform and things can change.

Doesn't he bring his kids to every game and have them singing and celebrating along with him?

He'd have to be a reet twat to sell up if that's the case. Like getting the kids a puppy keeping it for a year until a bond has been formed, then drowning it.

Then buying a new one :icon_lol:

Edited by alex

ohh im the cock , ok .

go pick a fight with some fucker else then .

manu(660m) , arsenal (300m) , liverpool (350m) fulham (137m) . they dont seem tobe worried about the debt .

if anything is unsustainable , its the 10mill a year wages mort and allerdyce stuck onto the club last summer .

We don't like differing opinion around these ere parts. :icon_lol:

(just agree with them it drives them wild very quickly)

aye, the only opinion that counts is anything you can put a slant on to make the ex board look like the anti-Christ and the worst football club board there has ever been

Tbf you're the only one obsessed with the old board, the rest of us have moved on.

sorry, but I didn't realise that last season was our worst ever premiership points tally just yet, must be killing people like you to admit it.

No it was this season, solely down to the fact that Allardyce was in charge for over half the season. And who was it appointed him?

Like I said, it's in the past and I have to wish to discuss it further.

haha, Allardyce flopped so he was the last boards appointment, however if he had succeed then it would have been down to having a "better " board

I just knew someone would slant this.

Fact is, he had a shit transfer window last summer, and people like you told us all, that in the past, that was all the fault of the fat bastard.

So you can't blame him this time, you also can't blame him for not buying Woodgate and Modric, but I bet you would find something if you could.

People like you talk so much shite about things like "planning" and "getting them in early", and slated them for bringing "panic signings" like Sibierksi, Allardyces best 2 signings were "panic" last minute buys Faye and Beye, by a country mile.

Care to retract, and admit you now have been shown positive proof that it doesn't matter in the slightest what stage of the window they are signed ?

Fact is, they are making such a fuss about this idea of "buying them young", making out that the fat bastard and his cronies never did it, and you're believing it because you want to, but we've been doing it for years !!!!!

Guest alex

Hang on though, we supposedly outbid for and offered better wages to Modric and Woodgate didn't we?

Edited by alex

ohh im the cock , ok .

manu(660m) , arsenal (300m) , liverpool (350m) fulham (137m) . they dont seem tobe worried about the debt .

if anything is unsustainable , its the 10mill a year wages mort and allerdyce stuck onto the club last summer .

aye, the only opinion that counts is anything you can put a slant on to make the ex board look like the anti-Christ and the worst football club board there has ever been

Tbf you're the only one obsessed with the old board, the rest of us have moved on.

sorry, but I didn't realise that last season was our worst ever premiership points tally just yet, must be killing people like you to admit it.

No it was this season, solely down to the fact that Allardyce was in charge for over half the season. And who was it appointed him?

haha, Allardyce flopped so he was the last boards appointment, however if he had succeed then it would have been down to having a "better " board

Fact is, he had a shit transfer window last summer, and people like you told us all, that in the past, that was all the fault of the fat bastard.

So you can't blame him this time, you also can't blame him for not buying Woodgate and Modric, but I bet you would find something if you could.

People like you talk so much shite about things like "planning" and "getting them in early", and slated them for bringing "panic signings" like Sibierksi, Allardyces best 2 signings were "panic" last minute buys Faye and Beye, by a country mile.

Care to retract, and admit you now have been shown positive proof that it doesn't matter in the slightest what stage of the window they are signed ?

Fact is, they are making such a fuss about this idea of "buying them young", making out that the fat bastard and his cronies never did it, and you're believing it because you want to, but we've been doing it for years !!!!!

Where do you think the previous board went wrong when we finished on 43 while they were in charge?

Serious question.

Success = Money

absolutely, but they will only be caught by a team/teams who attempt to catch them, unless they themselves "go backwards"

They don't seem overly bothered about their debts though

On the contrary, I don't think we had a terrible transfer window last summer. As much as Allardyce was useless he did bring in a number of decent players in Beye, Faye, Enrique, Viduka and recently even Barton has been performing recently (Geremi, despite his failings, has also chipped in with a few assists). Unfortunately it was Keegan who has got a lot of the players to reach their potential, something Allardyce couldn't do.

ohh im the cock , ok .

Where do you think the previous board went wrong when we finished on 43 while they were in charge?

Serious question.

Appointed a shit manager. Whatever you care to delude yourself with, they all do it. Its backing the managers and holding the ambition that is the important thing.

Do you believe that this buying them young stuff isn't a brand new exclusive ?

On the contrary, I don't think we had a terrible transfer window last summer. As much as Allardyce was useless he did bring in a number of decent players in Beye, Faye, Enrique, Viduka and recently even Barton has been performing recently (Geremi, despite his failings, has also chipped in with a few assists). Unfortunately it was Keegan who has got a lot of the players to reach their potential, something Allardyce couldn't do.

Agreed, everyone seemed quite happy with the transfers and most had high hopes for this season until SA showed us what he was made of.

sorry, but the lowest points total and the acute lack of goals until Keegan put together Viduka, Martins and Shepherds trophy signing, tells the story.

And ironically, it was the trophy signings goals that probably kept us up. Fancy that eh.

a shit manager. Whatever you care to delude yourself with, they all do it. Its backing the managers and holding the ambition that is the important thing.

So you're saying that who you appoint isn't that important as long as you give them a fuckload of money?

Hhmmm.

_41302049_soueyfreddy203.jpg

sorry, but the lowest points total and the acute lack of goals until Keegan put together Viduka, Martins and Shepherds trophy signing, tells the story.

And ironically, it was the trophy signings goals that probably kept us up. Fancy that eh.

:icon_lol: I still don't see how you can justify having a go at the board based on the fact that we've got our lowest ever points tally when the exact same thing happened under the Shepherd regime.

a shit manager. Whatever you care to delude yourself with, they all do it. Its backing the managers and holding the ambition that is the important thing.

So you're saying that who you appoint isn't that important as long as you give them a fuckload of money?

Hhmmm.

silly lad............THEY appointed him so THEY backed THEIR appointment.

Who the hell appoints a manager then doesn't back him the best they can ?

In fact, don't answer that one.

Hhmmm.

Bob Murray? :icon_lol:

We have a long summer ahead of us and I'm quite optimistic we can get a decent league place next season.

However I can't help but think that the Cups are more Keegan's priority.

But luck of the draw decides that and lately we have had none, going out to teams like Chelsea and Arsenal.

Hhmmm.

Keegan hasn't had a transfer window yet so we can't say whether he is going to be backed, until 31st August all this talk is pure speculation.

The man made £29m in two months on his Adidas shares, he lost over £100m on his HBOS shares. Given the amount of profit he could hope to make on our club and the amount of time he has to spend on us I don't think profit is his motivation. I still reckon we're a billionaire's toy thing.

actually , he didnt lose those 100m on the hbos , he would have if there share price had stayed down , but it was up the very next day due to investment from the board and talk of scaremongering to drive the pirce down , it was a spreadbet on the share price rising or falling before a certain date , the day it fell the papers were all over it , the day it went back up there was hardly no mention .

to make a profit from the sale of this club he doesnt need to win anything , he could keep us in midtable for the next few seaons , trim the wage bill and outgoings , increase revenue from other things , leisure and entertainment (racecourse guy and fifty club guy) .

with our stadium and average league attendance (even when were shit) we are a really attractive buy .

what did we make from league finish this season ? pennys compared to the 100m income .

:icon_lol: I still don't see how you can justify having a go at the board based on the fact that we've got our lowest ever points tally when the exact same thing happened under the Shepherd regime.

........ eerrr.........the Halls and Shepherd, unless you are another person who thinks the majority shareholder allows someone else to appoint the managers and run the club himself.

Wish I had a quid for all the fucknuts I've had to point that out to

Hhmmm.

Bob Murray? :icon_lol:

nice bloke that Bob Murray, divvent understand why the mackems hated them so much, didn't call anyone dogs, didn't embarrass them or anything.

Serious question.

Appointed a shit manager. Whatever you care to delude yourself with, they all do it. Its backing the managers and holding the ambition that is the important thing.

Do you believe that this buying them young stuff isn't a brand new exclusive ?

I only asked a question so I don't know why you're calling me deluded.

I think we agree it's the job of the board to provide all the funds they possibly can to a manager while ensuring the financial footing of the club. The previous boarrd definitely did this. It can be argued about whether or not their managers were actually choosing the players, or whether they deserved the money they rewarded themselves with, but they clearly left the place in a better position than they found it. One of the best era's at the club, almost certainly the best in many of our lifetimes.

I don't see how the new board can be accused of not following on that tradition. I've heard no stories of dissatisfied managers not being backed by the board. We've offered over and above any other clubs to bring in the players the manager has identified and I've not heard of one player a manager has wanted that the club have refused to go for. On top of this, they've improved upon last years position (if only by matching the points haul) and next season looks like being a lot better.

The old board started at a first division relegation threatened low, took us to a peak of champions league and title chasing, but dropped off badly, apart from a few years of brightness under SBR. The low from where Mike Ashley took over the reins is nowhere near the low we were at when John Hall & Freddy Shepherd jumped aboard, so progress will be slower, a cash injection at this level has a lot less of an impact than it does a division down. But as long as progress is being made, I fail to see why a comparison is necessary.

I love how every thread has the potential to turn into a Ashley vs Shepherd and the halls thread :icon_lol:

I want Ashley to succeed just as much as the next guy, but these misrepresentations to slate the old board for anything they can think of doesn't half make me smile. Not to mention forgetting all about the Champions League qualifications, 2 FA Cup Finals, and the top players ie trophy players, brought in that got us there.

Guest alex
I love how every thread has the potential to turn into a Ashley vs Shepherd and the halls thread :icon_lol:

I want Ashley to succeed just as much as the next guy, but these misrepresentations to slate the old board for anything they can think of doesn't half make me smile. Not to mention forgetting all about the Champions League qualifications, 2 FA Cup Finals, and the top players ie trophy players, brought in that got us there.

In fairness though mate, you're the one who seems desperate to make the comparisons and turn it into a contest between the old board and the new board. People weren't attacking the old board before that.