Nano owners complain about damage

Rob W

Nano owners complain about damage

iPod Nano

The iPod Nano wowed fans with its sleek design

Problems with the recently launched iPod Nano are emerging as owners complain of broken or scratched screens.

The smaller version of the popular iPod was unveiled at the beginning of September to much fanfare and delight at its sleek design.

Its delicacy was heralded as a design break-through.

But some fans are beginning to question whether the machine is too fragile for everyday use.

Owners are complaining about cracked, scratched or inexplicably failing screens, sometimes within hours of buying the machine.

Customer anger

A website has been set up to collate the complaints with a view to forcing Apple to address the issue.

The website, set up by Nano owner Matthew Peterson, is receiving e-mails at a rate of 30 per hour, according to Mr Peterson.

At the launch of the Nano, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs introduced the "impossibly small" gadget - which is the thickness of five credit cards - by pulling the device out of his pocket.

But others have found that carrying the device in this manner has resulted in inexplicable damage.

One fifteen-year old, who had saved up to buy his Nano, found the machine suffered a cracked screen within three hours of buying it.

"I pulled my iPod out and my heart dropped. The LCD was half destroyed, but there is no visible scratch or mark on the outside of the iPod," he wrote.

Another irate customer said

"If I had done something to damage my iPod I wouldn't be as angry as I am because it would be my fault. But I haven't done anything," he wrote.

Mr Peterson, a financial consultant and loyal Apple fan, described how his Nano was damaged.

Too fragile

iPod Nano

Steve Jobs launched the "impossibly small" new music player

"My Nano broke on day four. The screen that is. It shattered. It was in my pocket as I was walking and I sat down. No, I didn't sit on it, it was just in my pocket just as all iPod's before it have done," he said.

He believes the Nano should be recalled and improved. The music player is, he said, just too fragile.

Apple has, as yet, made no official statement on the issue although individuals have been told that the screen is made of the toughest materials and subject to vigorous tests.

Complainants have been told that stores will look at requests for the return of damaged players.

iPod repair company iPod ResQ has announced a temporary price increase on its iPod Nano screen replacement service due to what it describes as "overwhelming demand".

UK gadget magazine Stuff told the BBC News website that it has had no reader complaints about the Nano as yet.

Managing editor Adam Vaughan said his experience of the player was that it was "not as fragile as it looked". It had withstood considerable wear and tear, including being dropped.

"Like any gadget, it has got a bit scratched but that's about it," he said.

"My Nano broke on day four. The screen that is. It shattered. It was in my pocket as I was walking and I sat down. No, I didn't sit on it, it was just in my pocket just as all iPod's before it have done," he said.

39850[/snapback]

;)

Righto mate.

Jealous Creative Zen owner telling lies tbh.

*yawn* the betamax brigade take the high-ground again, experts on a peice of equipment they don't even own.

39897[/snapback]

My 3G iPod is on it's way out so I will have to invest soon I think :D

Don't think I know enough about them, but why do you think iPod's are the best mp3 player - regarding the quality of the mp3 player, as opposed to Zen etc?

My Zen's broken, but I've rarely heard many truly good things about iPods, but yes Creative users do tend to be snobs.

Sitting in my drawer (and not used in years) is my Creative DAP Jukebox (aka Nomad outside the UK). It was the first (or near enough) Hard0drive based MP3 player, along with the first Archos. With a 6GB HDD and requiring 6 AA batteries for operation, it was as portable as a fridgefreezer. Battery life was about 2 hours at best. Cost me a full £269 an' all!

So you lot stop moaning. At least you can use yours without risking a hernia.

*yawn* the betamax brigade take the high-ground again, experts on a peice of equipment they don't even own.

39897[/snapback]

Are they the video equivalent of the sandal-wearing brigade? Have you sent yours back yet then btw? :D

Edited by alex